PDA

View Full Version : Selling a car privately

thijs
07-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I am selling my wifes car, she is all shined up and mechanically sound. I have never sold a car privately and have a few questions and would like pointers.

1. Should I let the person to drive it alone, or if I feel they look trustworthy should I let them out alone?

2. How can I be safe about signing the registration to them? ie) them not registering it and burning around under my registration? I'd would copy the sales receipt, anything else?

3. Is there anything else that might throw me off?

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge in here. I appreciate the life experience.

BTW- I have listed it in the market place under: http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=2304&cat=11

Monte
07-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Never let them drive it by themselves unless you hold something important of theirs. (Car keys, credit cards, kids, you get the picture.) Request a copy of their registration/ insurance info just in case they wreck it. Get that before they drive.

Accept Cash ONLY when you sell it. Or at least go to their bank for a cashiers check...

east tx skier
07-16-2008, 06:49 PM
I sold my old Jeep to a neighbor. Copied his driver's license and insurance. Didn't hold onto his kids because I knew where he lived. Took a cashier's check.

In Texas, you can file something with the local Tax office to let them know you've sold the car so whatever happens from then on is not on you.

rholmes
07-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Always ride with potential buyers, encourage them to drive it like they normally would (unless they are an 18 year old kid :)).

Bill of Sale is all you need in the States, I don't know anything about transfer of ownership laws in Canada.

Second the cash only or cashiers check from the person's bank (go with them to get the money). Too many potentials for scams.

Gonzo
07-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Bill of Sale is all you need in the States, I don't know anything about transfer of ownership laws in Canada.

This is different state to state in the US, Since my boat was Va owned and I am in NC, all I needed was a bill of sale but registration folks told me if it was a NC to NC sale I would have had to have the title signed by both and notorized (sp?)

thijs
07-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Well I went for a drive last night. I think the guy is buying it for his son. Looking at it again tonight..............

I will expect only a Bank draft or cash and as I used to be a business teller for the Royal Bank I know if they are funny or not.

I found a bill of sale and intend on copying it. Once he signs it, it is his right??? He could sign it, drive off without insurance and crash it and I would be off the hook right? I don't have to verify his insurance do I? DEalerships only do that b/c they usually have financed the car to you???

Thanks for the input everyone!

Monte
07-17-2008, 06:02 PM
I think insurance is his thing to deal with. There are privacy issues that would arise if you as an individual called his insurance co. Make sure to take your tag off the veh. (I know that is one of those duh huh things, but I have heard stories)

T Scott
07-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Well I went for a drive last night. I think the guy is buying it for his son. Looking at it again tonight..............

I will expect only a Bank draft or cash and as I used to be a business teller for the Royal Bank I know if they are funny or not.

I found a bill of sale and intend on copying it. Once he signs it, it is his right??? He could sign it, drive off without insurance and crash it and I would be off the hook right? I don't have to verify his insurance do I? DEalerships only do that b/c they usually have financed the car to you???

Thanks for the input everyone!

Keep a copy of the Bill of Sale and make sure it has the date/time you sold the vehicle to this party. Have him sign and initial all important parts of the Bill of sale. That way, if there is an issue (accident, used in a crime, etc) your bases are covered.

Thrall
07-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Both of you sign the title and bill of sale and you keep a copy. Take the license plate(s) off it.

thijs
07-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Well the car sold to the first looker! Got what I wanted except finding that I left my sunglasses clipped onto the visor. 100km trip out to his far to recover them. Bought the wife a new Mazda3 GT with heated leather and Bose stereo. Lucky girl. Went with the smaller car as it is really good on fuel. (Was looking at used Volvo V70/XC70.

Post pics when I get it....... Thanks for all the help as I researched new cars on other threads and getting help selling this one. I had a tear in my eye when Cathy (the cavalier I just sold) drove off.

Ski-me
07-23-2008, 07:07 PM
We bought a third car and then tried to sell the extra vehicle. I spoke with my insurance company and they would cover all 3 vehicles until the extra one was sold (within reason....1-2 months). She also said the third vehicle would be covered for test drivers as well while we were selling it.