PDA

View Full Version : How to check transmission fluid?

ALBERTASKIER
07-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi All

Our prostar 205v looks like it is running a little low on transmission fluid. When I check the fluid level I unscrew and wipe clean and then screw back in to check or just set in and check? In the owners manual from indmar it says to just set in and check, also confirmed in a post I found on hear. I called the local dealer and the service guy said to screw in and check. Which way is correct? ZF Hurth 630 V drive.

Thanks in advance

Kent

wakeX2wake
07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
what are you looking at on the difference on the distance... chances are... when you screw it or set ti in if it's low one way it'll be really close to low the other... if it's questionably low either way add the juice

bigmac
07-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Don't screw it in. If you do, it will read falsely high.

russlars
07-16-2008, 03:16 PM
One question I would ask is if you are having any transmission issues that are causing you to think that it might be low? After I changed my transmission fluid the first time I didn't put enough fluid in mine (I was screwing in the dipstick and the boat was also on the trailer at the time). My transmission slipped a few times on acceleration the first time back out on the water. I checked it while the boat was in the water and didn't screw in the stick and it read low. Added fluid and slipping disappeared.:)

ALBERTASKIER
07-16-2008, 04:41 PM
When we bought the boat in the spring it had oil in the hull. Supposedly from a bad oil change. When we bought the boat we checked all the fluids after a lake test and everything looked fine. Also before purchasing the boat talked to the mechanic that had been working on it and he gave us enough reassurance that the boat was in good shape. (Bought boat in Denver, CO and we live in Alberta Canada) We cleaned the hull with hot water and dish soap a couple rounds and things were looking good. Next time out on the water hull was slimy again. We then started paying closer attention to the fluid levels and noticed the Trans fluid was low. Tonight or tomorrow night we will get in there clean things up and inspect for a leak. I am assuming the transmission seals are leaking otherwise if cooler lines were leaking the previous owner would have gotten it fixed. Hopefully not. We will top it off to the correct level and see what we find. No noticeable slipping so hopefully not to much damage has been done.

gigem75
07-17-2008, 03:22 PM
a collective TMC crossing of the fingers, good luck!

ALBERTASKIER
08-13-2008, 01:25 PM
So after a busy summer so far I have finally found the time to look at this transmission. I cleaned it and took it out for a couple runs. Fluid level was dropping and needed a small top up after each use. I discovered that the fluid was leaking from the filter cap. I removed the cap easily by twisting the cap the half turn and giving it a nudge with a screw driver. The cap is very rusty and i cant get the hex bolt to loosen. If I cant get the bolt to loosen, where can i order a new one? I called my local dealer and they don't have any in stock. I will soak it in WD 40 and we will see what happens.

rkmason
08-14-2008, 11:15 AM
My 630V trans filter cap bolt was also stuck in place until I put the filter cap in a vise and used an air impact wrench on the bolt. It popped loose pretty easily. If you try this, be gentle with the cap in the vise so you don't damage it.

wiltok
08-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Your learn something new every day! I always screwed it in to check....

Gonzo
08-14-2008, 03:01 PM
you can drive a powerslot transmission on a 91 PS 190 without the dipstick on a weekend for 1 hr and not loose much fluid at all.... ask me how I know :)

ALBERTASKIER
08-14-2008, 06:12 PM
rkmason, what part of the cap did you put in the vise. Should I just clamp the top cap along the rim? I will try and get my hands on a vise tonight.