PDA

View Full Version : Bilge pump not working

sherlick
07-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi

I have a 1997 Prostar. I bought it used a few years ago. The bilge pump never turned off which I set the switch in automatic mode but this fine as it worked when I turned the switch on in manual mode.

This past weekend, the pump would not turn on in manual mode. I think I need to replace the bilge pump. Do you know the size and model I should get?

All the other items on the switches such as the blower and lights.

Any suggestions?

NU-skier
07-16-2008, 11:12 AM
If you can replace it with the same make/model you just have to unscrew the pump from the strainer and unplug the wires vs new connectors or connections and removing the strainer and remounting etc.

I vote for direct replacement with the same part if it's still available.. but that isn't going to help you if your trying to order one without the part in your hand. :confused:

denverd1
07-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi
All the other items on the switches such as the blower and lights.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what you're saying. Does everything else work?

Pull the pump out and find a part number or description. Find a similiar pump and put it in.

flipper
07-16-2008, 01:04 PM
I'd make sure you have power at the pump before you go buy a new one. May not be the pump at all. If there's power there, then replace the pump.

JimN
07-16-2008, 01:59 PM
The make/model should be on the pump. Usually, they shipped with Mayfair pumps and the one that came with it should still be available.

You may have had something that kept the float from dropping. Make sure that doesn't happen with the new one.

First, I would check for voltage and ground at the connections to the existing pump.

kingu
07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
The float may just be stuck. Take it out and clean it first. Those things can get pretty funky.

sherlick
07-16-2008, 04:20 PM
thanks everyone. I will try this weekend.