PDA

View Full Version : Tipping

onewheat
07-16-2008, 02:49 AM
I'm looking for a consensus on tipping or not tipping house movers (not the house, just the stuff in it :D). I'm not talking if they go above and beyond for something, just moving your stuff. If so, how much? I have mixed feelings on this one.

loeweb
07-16-2008, 09:34 AM
If you are paying them to move the stuff, I say no. They are getting pad to move it. Like you said though if they go above and beyond, or leave the house immaculate I say yes, but that is their job and they shouldn't expect it.
I think of it this way: How much are they probably making? If it is above minimum wage then they shouldn't expect to get tipped, but if it is below that (waitress or the like) they are working for the tips to make ends meet.

ShamrockIV
07-16-2008, 09:36 AM
no to tipping movers!! unless they just do a kick butt job and u feel like they deserve it.

VirtualWi
07-16-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm with the rest...only if they do something special or above and beyond. However, I am one to offer them something to drink (soda or something) shortly after they arrive - some form of goodwill that will make them think twice about dinging your walls

NU-skier
07-16-2008, 11:52 AM
I tipped the guys that moved us from Nebraska to Carolina. The same guys did both ends with some extras on this end and they did it on schedule and replaced the only thing they damaged (floor lamp).

They spent two days packing and one day unloading and we filled an entire trailer. My new company paid for the move and I signed off on them being paid for unpacking but we didn't let them unpack.. so that was pay they received in addition to the move fee, a company paid tip and my own tip. Had they not done a first rate job I wouldn't of tipped them in addition to the company paid tip as well as I did, or maybe not at all. We were very pleased with their service as they exceeded our expectations.

However, that doesn't mean I ever want to move 1,300 miles again.. b/c the water never freezes here and no more snow shovels!

flipper
07-16-2008, 11:54 AM
no to tipping movers!! unless they just do a kick butt job and u feel like they deserve it.

I couldn't have said it better. If they go above and beyond, then sure.

shepherd
07-16-2008, 01:54 PM
OK, looks like the consensus is don't tip movers unless...

What about hotel maids? Do you guys leave some money on the dresser before you check out of your hotel room?

Gonzo
07-16-2008, 02:06 PM
OK, looks like the consensus is don't tip movers unless...

What about hotel maids? Do you guys leave some money on the dresser before you check out of your hotel room?

I figure they have been stealing it all week, why leave extra out? :confused::confused:

JohnE
07-16-2008, 02:20 PM
I've never moved, but would tip the movers if I did. And I always tip the hotel cleaners. But they usually have a heavy load with the empties I inevitably leave behind.:D

Monte
07-16-2008, 02:45 PM
I've never moved, but would tip the movers if I did. And I always tip the hotel cleaners. But they usually have a heavy load with the empties I inevitably leave behind.:D

You drink beer?:eek3:

I have never paid someone to move me.. I tip my buddies with a case of beer after the move is complete. So I guess I might. As for the maid? Depends on whether or not anything was taken during my stay?

454Prostar190
07-16-2008, 05:51 PM
By all means, tip the movers for a job above and beyond! In my opinion it's a thankless type job and it would be nice to have the possibility of a tip at the end! I'd do my best not to break anything!!

jbfootin
07-16-2008, 06:12 PM
In college, my room mate worked for a moving co, and I would say that 50% of the time he got tipped. We also always got nice furnature from people that had stuff they did not need in a new house. None of it matched, but all of it was nice:)

M-Funf
07-16-2008, 06:33 PM

Depends on how long I stay, and how nice they do the room. If it's a hit and run (one night) I don't tip. But if I stay a while (I used to travel for weeks at a time and stay in the same hotels for several days) I tip well in hopes that they don't wipe out my bathroom glasses with the dirty towel from the floor...:(

atlfootr
07-16-2008, 06:53 PM
When I needed something moved, I called friends ...
PAID 'em w/ cases of beer :D
After everything was moved and was in it's place.

milkmania
07-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Depends on how long I stay

same here and I leave it on the pillow with their card on a semi-made bed, so they know it's theirs. it's usually not much, if I stay the week, I leave about $4.00 to $6.00 per day.

usually get candy and a nice thank you note in return:D

onewheat
07-17-2008, 12:21 AM
They spent two days packing and one day unloading and we filled an entire trailer. My new company paid for the move and I signed off on them being paid for unpacking but we didn't let them unpack.. so that was pay they received in addition to the move fee, a company paid tip and my own tip. Had they not done a first rate job I wouldn't of tipped them in addition to the company paid tip as well as I did, or maybe not at all. We were very pleased with their service as they exceeded our expectations.

You tipped as well? Do you mind me asking how much? I saw the tax implications of our value gain on the move and it appeared that the bill for the move was on the order of $20k, if I remember correctly. A 2.5% tip on that is $500. What is the going percentage if you do tip?

This is a company paid move. They are estimating 5 days to pack and load. I always offer drinks and will also buy lunch if they are doing a good job. It is hell watching them unhook a tractor trailer just to drive up the street to McDonalds. We have had a move into storage, a move from storage to a house and a move from a house to a house (all company moves) and only the first set of guys were memorable (and excellent). They did our first pack and load and I planned on giving them a couple hundred bucks when they moved us in, thinking they'd be moving us from storage into the house too, but we got a different group of guys who weren't nearly as impressive. This move is from a house into storage again for about a month or two. Then another move into a house.

I always liked the 'friend' moves, but we have WAY too much stuff now and we are all getting older and busier. Beer and pizza doesn't draw the friends to a move like it would in the old days. I know I'd be busy if a friend had all my crap and needed a whole house move too. A pick-up load or two, I'm still there, but a whole house, would require some more coaxing (and some chiropractic co-pays). :)

JohnE
07-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Beer and pizza doesn't draw the friends to a move like it would in the old days.

Doesn't draw them to nearly as many thankless tasks, unfortunately....:D