PDA

View Full Version : LTR Starter Problems

stulesmi
07-16-2008, 12:21 AM
so...........I went to the lake Sunday and my boat isn't starting consistently. Sometimes I turn the key and it just clicks.:mad: The batt. is charged so I can't figure it out. It sounds like a starter problem. I had the inside of the boat detailed last week and I think they got the inside soaking wet.:mad: Has anyone ever had this problem. How'd you fix it? Thanks!!

JimN
07-16-2008, 12:32 AM
The Bendix in a starter is supposed to be lubricated annually. I seriously doubt that many are. The Bendix gear that engages the ring gear on the flywheel can get wet, from direct contact or just condensation and this causes it to lock up. If it does this, the contacts in the solenoid will burn because of the excess current flowing through them and this causes the click with no motion. Another big starter killer is cranking for a long time when the battery is dying or the battery's terminals are dirty. The effect is the same. Also, if the mating surface on the block and starter are dirty, the starter's ground connection is compromised, and this too causes the starter and/or solenoid to fail.

I don't know who is in your area that rebuilds starters, alternators and other motors but that's usually a good alternative to buying a new one. It does need to be marine rated, so any sparks caused by the starter are contained.

MIMC
07-16-2008, 01:08 PM
The fact that you say "isn't starting consistently" makes me immediately think lose cables at the battery, corrosion on terminals, lose ground/terminals on the starter. I doubt if it's the starter itself. I know you say the battery is charged, but can it handle a load test? Use a volt meter, check volts when cranking, should not drop below 9.0-9.6 volts. Just my .02 cents! Good luck!

MIMC

JimN
07-16-2008, 02:41 PM
It really shouldn't drop that far. At about 9.5VDC, the ECM can go into a hard reset, which isn't really a good thing.

A load tester is probably safer, in the even that the battery is weak or the starter has partially shorted windings.

stulesmi
07-16-2008, 11:41 PM
I got the boat out this morning to let everything air out and the batt was dead.:mad: Now I'm wondering if the batt was just getting low and not sending enough juice.:confused: I charged it today and I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks for the help!!

JimN
07-16-2008, 11:50 PM
If you can load test it, that would be preferable to cranking it with a weak battery. Has it gone totally dead before? How many times? If it has done this several times, it may be time.

stulesmi
07-16-2008, 11:54 PM
yeah, I have a terrible time with batteries. I keep a jump box on hand at all times. After I charged it, I tested fine under a load. Never got below 10v. We'll see.

JimN
07-16-2008, 11:56 PM
How old is it? If it goes dead in about three days, even if the battery is new, have your alternator checked out.