PDA

View Full Version : On the subject of courses...

ski36short
04-21-2005, 01:38 PM
The local paper has their annual dig at slalom skiers posted. Not as bad as it usually is and also a little early so maybe there's more in store. It's at www.spinalcolumnonline.com, scroll for "Ski Course Operations Assailed". I don't get out on that lake often but it's both public and pretty crazy. Anyone here get out on Cass Lake at all? I know they tried to accomodate this guy once by moving the course and then moved it back because it was never calm enough to ski in the alternate location. I love the "Indy 500" reference. If I was a betting man (which I am), I would bet this guy has jet skis that are just as loud. Maybe he doesn't run them at 8:00am.

People whining about courses irritate me, esp. when they live on a public "all-sports" lake. My lake has all kinds of craziness going on, course skiing is among the lesser "evils". I'm sure Cass Lake is no different. Yes, we have no more right to the water than anyone else, but no less either. I put up with plenty of tomfoolery on my lake! Can't we all just get along?!?

Done venting. I feel much better now.

rodltg2
04-21-2005, 02:11 PM
komensky is an idiot. they should put start times on him, when he can start flappin his lips.

bcampbe7
04-21-2005, 03:27 PM
That's ridiculous. By their same logic, it should be illegal to ride a Harley up and down the street in front of their house before 7:30am.
“I don’t want you out there having a good time because my lazy a$$ wants to sleep in.” Such crap…

mastercraft1995
04-21-2005, 03:31 PM
It a pulic lake not private. Move it you don't like it.

erkoehler
04-21-2005, 03:43 PM
If it were that rediculous, I would be out there every morning at 7 o'clock just to piss that guy off.

Going to the papers to have a story about him needing sleep.....***

Granite_33
04-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Irrational Idiot..........this guy has so many holes in his argument its not even funny.........

"Not from the lake"...."across the lake".........I guess unless your a$$ is right in front of the course, you have no right to it?

Sounds like some pissy old pontoon boaters got this guys ear.

Things that make you go HHHHHMMMMMM :rant:

"he's got an outboard motor".........oh the humanity!!!!!!! :mad:

Granite_33
04-21-2005, 03:46 PM
I have a buddy with a 17' jet boat. 454 with straight pipes.....I wonder if he knows were this lake is............ :mad:

Leroy
04-21-2005, 04:30 PM
too crazy! I can't believe the hour limitations.

erkoehler
04-21-2005, 04:33 PM
No skiing on Sundays? That is nuts :eek:

ski36short
04-21-2005, 04:34 PM
It a pulic lake not private. Move it you don't like it.

My thoughts exactly.

erkoehler
04-21-2005, 04:37 PM
What is an outboard boat doing in the course anyways? :rant:

jayocheskey
04-21-2005, 05:40 PM

Great question. But who knows -- sounds like this Kosmensky idiot wouldn't know a row boat from a tug-boat. He's definitely got his hands in some deep pockets out at that lake.

Who in there right mind would want to be up at sunrise to take a few runs on the perfect, early-morning glass? Oh yeah, that's me.

I've never blatantly disobeyed the "law" before, but I may have to make an exception in that situation. Write me a couple of warnings.

ski36short
04-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Sadly, this is all it takes to get a course permit revoked around here - one buttmunch. Right now on the lake adjacent to mine we're trying to get a course permit, we have around 50 signatures "For" and 1 "Against" so the whole thing is in jeopardy. What kind of due process is that?

erkoehler
04-21-2005, 08:49 PM
We have "one of those guys" on our lake also. HE has called the sheriff on us numerous times for NOTHING. Sheriff comes out, goes for a ride in the boat, asks what we were doing, counts life jackets, checks reg. and goes on his way. Really nice guy! :D

MarkP
04-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Sadly, this is all it takes to get a course permit revoked around here - one buttmunch. Right now on the lake adjacent to mine we're trying to get a course permit, we have around 50 signatures "For" and 1 "Against" so the whole thing is in jeopardy. What kind of due process is that?If you need a nother "For" let me know.:headbang:

ski_king
04-21-2005, 10:25 PM
I bet I know where the course is located. (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=48324&ll=42.598951,-83.359677&spn=0.004753,0.007693&t=k&hl=en)

MarkP
04-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Sure Denny,

But how long will it take us to get to it??

ski_king
04-21-2005, 10:43 PM
Sure Denny,

But how long will it take us to get to it??
According to Google 4 hrs and 44 minutes.

My orginal post had Jerry's lake front address, I bet we could stay there.

betsy&david Harrison
04-21-2005, 11:29 PM
The local paper has their annual dig at slalom skiers posted. Not as bad as it usually is and also a little early so maybe there's more in store. It's at www.spinalcolumnonline.com, scroll for "Ski Course Operations Assailed". I don't get out on that lake often but it's both public and pretty crazy. Anyone here get out on Cass Lake at all? I know they tried to accomodate this guy once by moving the course and then moved it back because it was never calm enough to ski in the alternate location. I love the "Indy 500" reference. If I was a betting man (which I am), I would bet this guy has jet skis that are just as loud. Maybe he doesn't run them at 8:00am.

People whining about courses irritate me, esp. when they live on a public "all-sports" lake. My lake has all kinds of craziness going on, course skiing is among the lesser "evils". I'm sure Cass Lake is no different. Yes, we have no more right to the water than anyone else, but no less either. I put up with plenty of tomfoolery on my lake! Can't we all just get along?!?

Done venting. I feel much better now.

The Ski Club at Lake Nacimiento in Ca. had similar problems. You may want to contact someone in the club to find out how the issue was handled. Look under Ski Clubs on the Internet. It is under Far West Waterski Club. Since the issue is a hot one in many places, this club did something about it and now they are left alone to ski when they want.

SteveO
04-22-2005, 12:23 AM
I guess an early morning pre-work run would be out of the question. 7:30 is about the time I'm heading IN during the summer. Note to self, avoid Cass lake if I visit my buddy in Brighton.

erkoehler
04-22-2005, 01:12 AM
Do any of you guys actually get out before work on a regular basis?

I know that is out of the question for me, there isn't any really close water.

jimmer2880
04-22-2005, 08:12 AM
I would be real tempted to zoom by in a big "go fast" boat at 5AM. What an old fart! But - if you were really that old - then why are they sleeping in past 7:30?

My guess is that these are party people who have no problem staying up till well past Midnight. Perhaps there should be rules on that also?

Don't get me wrong - I like to party with the rest of them. But - I'm in by Midnight so I can ski at 7 the next morning (I'm not as young as 6balls who can come stumbling into the boat with beer in hand from the night before :worthy: )

Professor
04-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Posted this on another thread but maybe I should have asked it here … what is the difference in our attitudes about the use of ball fields on public land and ski courses on public water??? Some public lakes have areas set aside for conditional use and/or special use activities such as “no wake zones” and tournament events (e.g. triathalon swim).

sizzler
04-22-2005, 09:44 AM

i leave for work at 05:40....no chance b4hand :mad:

John B
04-22-2005, 10:30 AM

Ever morning,6:45 am to 9:30 am, three people,two sets each,and get to work by 10 or 10:30. :D

east tx skier
04-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Posted this on another thread but maybe I should have asked it here … what is the difference in our attitudes about the use of ball fields on public land and ski courses on public water??? Some public lakes have areas set aside for conditional use and/or special use activities such as “no wake zones” and tournament events (e.g. triathalon swim).

The most skiable portions of our "home lake" are marked as no-ski zones. I found this out when the game warden stopped us (I waved as I skied by him). No ticket, but it's so typical of this town. Set it in front of you and tell you you can't use it.

ski36short
04-22-2005, 01:06 PM
SteveO, you're welcome to ski with me if you're ever up here in season. I work really close to Brighton and my home lake isn't too far away. The gravel pit where I usually ski is practically in Brighton.

Professor - I've had that same thought as well. Supposedly the water is set aside for all of the public to use, but somebody does a great job of setting up specialized facilities on land my taxes help pay for and also prohibits other activities (i.e. hunting) on appropriate land. Why is the water any different? Help, help, I'm being oppressed! (Monty Python anyone?)

rodltg2
04-22-2005, 01:58 PM

could be a barefoot boat.

PeteS
04-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Funny you posted this, Geoff. As a resident of Orchard Lake, I've been involved with this mess for a while. I've even pleaded on behalf of the skiers at City Council during the recent hearing on the case. The problem was that it was a Councilman who lived in front of the course on Cass, and argued agressiviely and often with the "outboard" owner, which actually is more of a "go fast" type boat itself.

Due to the problem on Cass, they indirectly tried to create more boating hour restrictions for ALL lakes that reside in OL, including mine. We were livid, and as you can imagine voiced our opinions. Luckly, our skiing was salvaged for the time being. Although, the case will be revisited in a year. Can you believe it!

In addition, I also just got word that a "go fast" boat is running with out-of-the-water, free exhaust, on my lake and the complaints are flying in left and right to City Council. Unfortunately, this effects people's overall viewpoints on boating, and then hour restictions come into play for "high-speed" activites. I wouldn't be surprised to see more hour restrictions in a year.

ski36short
04-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Nice - so it's not even a skier but the course gets the blame? Does this guy ski the course with that boat? The article said that guy was on the council and my impression is that his brain didn't get him there. This case does seem to be revisited annually. I guess that's the price of living in the high rent district and trying to ski there! :)

There are several open exhaust, crazy-loud boats on my lake. I'm sure they are illegal based on the sound they produce (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=mcl-324-80156&queryid=7047724&highlight=marine%20) and the speeds they run. 60+mph on a 250 acre lake doesn't strike me as fun or safe. Why don't they just enforce the current laws instead of making blanket new ones? People should be complaining to the sheriff requesting sound tests for specific craft, not punishing everybody for a couple morons. If the Donzi crew on my lake started affecting my skiing hours I'd be pissed. Perhaps we should just be a little more proactive...

BTW we're talking about doing a ski in the snow if we get the 3-5 inches predicted tomorrow.

jimmer2880
04-25-2005, 07:13 AM
... Why don't they just enforce the current laws instead of making blanket new ones? People should be complaining to the sheriff requesting sound tests for specific craft, not punishing everybody for a couple morons. ....

Because, politicians think that they're doing something if they make new laws. If they don't do anything, except for asking for more inforcement - then they can't say "here - this is what I did".

:rant:

More laws is what we need. Because the people who break 1 law won't dare break 2!

erkoehler
04-25-2005, 07:30 AM
BTW we're talking about doing a ski in the snow if we get the 3-5 inches predicted tomorrow.

Well, how was it?

erkoehler
04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
We have ski hours on my home lake from 9am-6pm. They suck! Don't care what you have to say about them, bottom line they suck. There is no reason to be off the water at 6pm. It is light until atleast 9 for most of the summer, and nobody else uses the lake.

ski36short
04-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Didn't do the "snow ski". Friday and Saturday nights were long ones so Sunday was recovery time. Not to mention high winds.

BTW, Mr. Kosmensky has managed to elevate his "plight" from a low-circulation local rag to the Detroit News, who at least had the journalistic sense to interview someone other than just him. I think I will be replying later but ultimately I agree with the OC Sheriff - if this ranks as a big problem then we must live in a great country.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0504/25/B01-161049.htm

erkoehler
04-25-2005, 04:17 PM
No snow ski, I am disappointed!

PeteS
04-26-2005, 09:37 AM
I didn't get a snow ski in either, although it would have made for some fun photos. To answer your question Geoff, the guy with the "go fast" boat ripping up and down the course in the AM is or was in fact skiing it!

Although after hearing stories about some of their water to shore "discussions", the behaviors on both sides of the argument I think have become spiteful at this point. Now it seems like the Councilman has taken some sort of a personal vendetta out against the "go fast" boat owner, which could in turn affect entire lake community of the city. And on the other hand, the loud boat fella is running the course early mornings partly just to upset the Councilman.

So you have a good Donzi population too? They look like they'd be fun, loud, and exciting -- for about 10 minutes or so, and then to me, the thrill would be over.

jimmer2880
04-27-2005, 06:40 AM
.... So you have a good Donzi population too? They look like they'd be fun, loud, and exciting -- for about 10 minutes or so, and then to me, the thrill would be over.

kind of like jet skis, eh? :friday:

JEREMY79
04-27-2005, 09:37 AM

That looks fun for about an hour. Then what?

Leroy
04-27-2005, 09:46 AM
I wish the Donzis and jets skis would only run for 10 minutes.

You know if you want to help I think just call the police or DNR officier when you see a violation, carry your cell phone with number programmed in. Don't expect the police to be everywhere and see everything. I used to think that was the wus way out, but it really works and puts the pain back where it should be.

ski36short
04-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Don't expect the police to be everywhere and see everything.

Of course not. I think the funny thing is that the Donzi guys *know* they're running illegally. There were a couple of them doing their thing last year and suddenly they stopped, turned off the thru-hulls, and went home. There was a sheriff boat at the launch.

PeteS
05-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Exactly like Jet Skis, Jimmer! You hit the nail on the head. I only have one one exeption, and that is I still like the challange and fun of our 750sxi stand-up that my Dad owns.

JEREMY79
05-02-2005, 09:02 PM
I have no problem with jet ski's or wave runners as long as the riders are responsible. Its the idiots that make you hate em

jimmer2880
05-03-2005, 07:11 AM
I have no problem with jet ski's or wave runners as long as the riders are responsible. Its the idiots that make you hate em

I have no problem with them. I have a bunch of friends who have them and ride them responsibly. I'm just saying that they're too booring for me on fresh-water. however - if I ever lived near the beach & could jump the waves, I'd probably have one.

Pete - I totally agree bud. If all they made was the stand-up's, there wouldn't be 90% of the jet skiis out there. Those things actually take a bit of skill to ride well. The only thing harder was the old wet-bikes in my opinion.

erkoehler
05-03-2005, 07:13 AM
I have no problem with them. I have a bunch of friends who have them and ride them responsibly. I'm just saying that they're too booring for me on fresh-water. however - if I ever lived near the beach & could jump the waves, I'd probably have one.

Pete - I totally agree bud. If all they made was the stand-up's, there wouldn't be 90% of the jet skiis out there. Those things actually take a bit of skill to ride well. The only thing harder was the old wet-bikes in my opinion.

Wet bikes, you just aged yourself! :D