PDA

View Full Version : Belt Tensioner / Belt Size

BG1772
07-15-2008, 01:43 PM
I have had two belt tensioners break on my boat. The aluminum arm breaks for no apparent reason. I have noticed that my belt squeals until the motor warms up a bit. I wonder if the belt is too small. Has anybody else had this issue? Does anybody know the size of the belt for this motor? I called ski dim, Vince said that the correct part number is 72-5026, but he did not know the belt size.

BG1772
07-15-2008, 02:12 PM
The motor is the 5.7L LTR. I thought I had it in my signature, but I guess I did not.

JimN
07-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Look from the edge of the pulleys to see if they're on the same plane. If one is offset, you'll shred a lot of belts. Squealing usually just means that it's slipping, possibly from battery discharge and the alternator resisting rotation. If you know someone who can fabricate metal, have them make one from steel.

Or, is it the bolts that are breaking?

BG1772
07-15-2008, 02:50 PM
The bolts are not breaking, it is the tensioner arm. I am not seeing any belt damage, so I do not think that the issue is a pully alignment. I will take a look at that tonight. Thanks for the advice.

mrprostar
05-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Is there supposed to a tensioner on a 96 205 (not LT1). Mine is just taut from tightening the alternator bolts, but seems just a little bit loose.

JimN
05-29-2009, 11:03 AM
There's no tensioner, your belt has stretched and if it's squealing, it needs to be replaced.

If brackets are breaking, it's usually because the crank pulley isn't spinning true and the oscillation is causing the breakage. Loosen the bolts and see if the pulley can be adjusted and start it to verify that it's better.