PDA

View Full Version : Gas guage not showing correct level

boatweight
07-15-2008, 01:38 PM
I am trying to trouble shoot an issue with my gas guage or the level of the pump in my tank; ran out of gas this weekend but my tank is still 1/3 full and my guage reads 1/2 full. I recieved some advice from another post that you can adjust the gas guage reading from the sending unit. Does anyone know how this is done?

One additonal quesiton, does anyone know if I can adjust the (don't know the technical term) pump depth ??? so I can at least get down to a 1/4 of a tank?

Thanks for the help. Lee

JimN
07-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Look in the other thread about the same issue. They have photos, too.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=24466

boatweight
07-15-2008, 07:42 PM
thanks Jim, found the post. Now I need to pull the fuel tank and see what happens next. Thanks again for the help. Lee

JimN
07-15-2008, 09:58 PM
If you remove the fuel filler tube and vent line, look for four stainless brackets that hold the tank in place. Once they're removed, you should be able to slide the tank so the area with the sender comes out from under the rear.

Muttley
07-16-2008, 11:43 AM
On my '92, I didn't have to remove the filler tube and vent line. I was able to pull the left side of the tank out enough to remove the sending unit. I guess the '96 190 is quite different?

boatweight
07-16-2008, 03:22 PM
I was looking at the tank last night wondering if I wanted to tackle the project, decided to wait until the weekend, looks like I will have to take off the fuel filler tube and vent line to remove the tank--the back seat cushins are not easy to remove.

Thanks for the help Jim and Muttley. having this site as a resources is really nice. Lee

GuitsBoy
07-16-2008, 05:53 PM
My gauge was reading 3/4 full after topping it off at the pump. I pulled the seat out and on top of the tank on the observers side, theres the sending unit. There are two small phillips head trim pots on the top of the sender, one for full and one for empty. After flling the tank completely, Key the boat on one click and adjust the full trim pot. Then after youre almost empty, adjust the empty pot to coincide with how much fuel in actually in the tank. It was pretty easy to do, and now my gauge reads perfect.

boatweight
07-17-2008, 05:25 PM
thanks GuitsBoy for the help. I am planning on making the adjustment this weekend. Lee

boatweight
07-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Pulled the tank and sending unit out this weekend and did a little adjustment, seems to have fixed my guage reading problems. Thanks for the help.