PDA

View Full Version : 88 Prostar - vinyl replacements [pics included and will be updated]

snivesatgt
07-14-2008, 08:36 AM
We have begun redo-ing the vinyl on our 88 prostar. We decided to do something a bit radical (some will love, while others hate). on the sides were there are the pockets going down the length of the boat - we decided to redo them so there aren't formal pockets.

Instead we are going to install a net that we can easily put in/out if we want to keep things in either side.

The port side will have a small enclosed box to store things inside of it - bout a cubic foot.

Attached are some pictures of the starboard side. We did this side first since it didn't have the enclosed box. We also redid the armrest you will see in one of the pictures.

Question:
Does anybody know where we can get a good/but inexpensive replacement for our seat. The base is rusted as well but don't want to spend a furtune.

Thx,
Ben

etduc
07-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Beside ebay. Overton's may have something. Whether it will work with your existing (fiberglass base), don't know. Some have done the side storage, like you. I may do the same, to my '94 205, this winter.

snivesatgt
07-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the quick response - guess it's not to out of the norm :)

Wonder if there is a way to replace the workings of the seat, rather than the seat itself. The metal sliders/etc between the seat and fiberglass base are falling apart 9causing small rust pieces to duty up the floor of the boat...

Will check overtons - is there a used boat part site that may be a good resource to?

Kevin 89MC
07-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Looks good. Can you post some close ups or better lighted shots? My side panels need some work, and I also have thought about re-designing them. Good luck on your seat search, keep us posted. I noticed that my rails are rusting as well.
Kevin

snivesatgt
07-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Here is a close-up. I will take some other shots in better lighting tomorrow.

Also - some shots of the process.

(2nd picture peice after foam and pre-wrap. 3rd is after vinyl)

snivesatgt
07-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Here are some pictures of the foamed port side.

This is prior to the vinyl being put on.

Thanks,
Ben

snivesatgt
07-19-2008, 09:18 AM
And - some pictures of it wrapped....

(still need to wrap the inside of the compartment...)

snivesatgt
07-20-2008, 08:02 PM
And yet - another picture - left side panel installed.

Thx,
Ben

Kevin 89MC
07-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Looks great!!

charrison327
08-28-2008, 08:04 PM
i just purchased a 98 prostar, my first mastercraft, and want to redo the interior. i've thought of doing it myself but don't know if it's going to be too much for me to handle. how bad was it?

cmw
08-29-2008, 07:26 AM
I have the same question as charrison327. I have a 90 Maristar and want to redo as much as I can. Was it hard to cover around openings, such as speaker holes. Might incorporate your idea.

snivesatgt
09-16-2008, 02:40 PM
No, it wasn't very bad. The best recommendation I have is taking your time wrapping the vinyl (obviously using marine grade vinyl). The sides were pretty easy - just want to keep the vinyl tight as you wrap it, but not too tight since you don't want seems anywhere when you get to the end. The Speaker holes were very easy - we just wrapped them solid and then cut pie-shape wedges and wrapped it around - just make sure the speaker hole is a good size :D

that's my best recommendation - if you do the piping - do it last after all the vinyl is done.

Any other ?s feel free to ask

Thanks,
Ben