PDA

View Full Version : Crank but no start

Vboy
07-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi everyone, the 205v w/145 hrs has always started with no problems, so I take it to the local boat dock for gas and after filling it up with 30 gal on a 35 gal tank it cranks but no start. Thank you to the guy who towed me home....I hope I can repay the favor many times over. Earlier in the day I took out my daughter and friend and really pushed it hard with the tubeing.......??????Any ideas...I work on my own boat.....

Roonie's
07-13-2008, 04:41 PM
I am going to guess it is your fuel pump since it was so low in fuel. Do a search on here about fuel pump issues and you will see that you should never go below 1/4 tank of gas or risk a fuel pump failure.

Second thing to check is clogged fuel filter.

I would first check pressure on your fuel line to see if you have any.

T Scott
07-13-2008, 04:44 PM
I assume you checked the kill switch to make sure it was firmly in place. If not, I'd check that first. take off the lanyard, manually push the kill switch in and out and then put the kill switch back on.

JimN
07-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Check for spark, check the fuel quality, then the fuel pressure. You may have gotten bad gas, if it stopped running shortly after filling. If you don't have spark, check the safety switch, as T Scott said.

Gonzo
07-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Kill switch threw me last week. I am going to straight line it or replace it with a filp switch soon.

JimN
07-13-2008, 06:49 PM
You know the Coast Guard requires it, right?

cbryan70
07-13-2008, 06:57 PM
What if your boat doesnt have one period?

JimN
07-13-2008, 07:18 PM
If it's old, it's "grandfathered" but if it was made after the mandate, I think they want one installed. It's not a bad idea to have one. The PowerQuest rep took a boat to a local dealer about 7-8 years ago and they took it to a lake that's generally fairly choppy. They didn't have the lanyard attached to the driver and when they hit someone's wake on an odd angle, all three of them were tossed out. The boat kept going and ran straight into the West bank of the lake, not too far from the launch.

Roonie's
07-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Do you attach your lanyard to yourself everytime your driving? I have yet to even touch it in my boat.

Gonzo
07-13-2008, 09:42 PM
If it's old, it's "grandfathered" but if it was made after the mandate, I think they want one installed. It's not a bad idea to have one. The PowerQuest rep took a boat to a local dealer about 7-8 years ago and they took it to a lake that's generally fairly choppy. They didn't have the lanyard attached to the driver and when they hit someone's wake on an odd angle, all three of them were tossed out. The boat kept going and ran straight into the West bank of the lake, not too far from the launch.

Mine is only attached to my sons hand at the most inoppotune moments. one way or the other it will be disabled before the season is out.

JimN
07-13-2008, 10:45 PM
"one way or the other it will be disabled before the season is out."

Not that I want to sound like somebody's dad, but I really hope I don't hear or read that someone's boat ran into a bunch of people, over a skier or into a boat due to this being disabled. We just had a skier in Lake Geneva die after being run over by someone who was following too closely. Since I doubt that your throttle return spring is still there, you're going to be on the hook if something bad happens and they find out that it was modified.

I wouldn't disable it, if it was my boat and I can't do it legally if I service someone's boat.