PDA

View Full Version : Shaft packing seal

Todd Brosius
07-13-2008, 05:20 PM
I believe my packing seal is leaking in my '04 197 prostar. I read in the manual about an adjustment. Is that where I should start?? It's leaking quite of bit of water, NOT just dripping like I know it should and this has seemed to happen all at once. Please help!!! Try an adjustment first, or do I have bigger problem like a seal has gone completely "out". The boat only has 160 hours on it. If I adjust, which nut do I loosen first. One nut is much wider than the other. Thanks for the help.

Todd

FrankSchwab
07-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Hey Todd -
The packing seal should drip slowly; once every few seconds to a few times a minute. Sounds like yours is bad.

You can try simply tightening the packing you have, but I'm not sure it'll help. One of the two nuts is a jam-nut; it's only purpose is to keep the adjustment nut from moving. The jam-nut is the thin nut in the middle.

The adjustment nut is the wide, outer nut closest to the engine. Once you have the jam-nut loose, tighten the adjustment nut - hand tight (using your hand, and no tools) is plenty. If the leak doesn't stop, you're going to have to replace the packing. If the leak does stop, you're okay - adjust it to the drip rate specified in your owner's guide.

Replacing the packing really isn't a big deal. Search the forums, you'll find some great guidance. In general, completely loosen the adjusting nut and slide it up the shaft. Remove all the old packing - you should find three or four short (3") lengths of what looks like 1/4" rope. I found that a hooked dental pick pulled them out easily, but a very small screwdriver would probably work as well. Get some packing from your dealer or local marine store, cut as other guides describe, insert them, reassemble the adjustment nut, and adjust the drip rate.

It really isn't a big job, and it's pretty self-explanatory once you get started.

/frank

TMCNo1
07-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Here is a simple procedure for replacing and or tightening the stuffing box,
Replacing and Adjusting the Shaft Packing.
Replace the shaft packing. Be sure to install two or three pieces.
Loosen the jam nut on the shaft-packing gland.
Back the gland nut off the packing gland assembly.
Dig out all the old packing material.
For a one inch shaft, cut two to three pieces of 1/4"dia. packing material strips so they are 4 1/8". Place one of the packing strips into the packing nut. The end should butt together. Place another piece in the packing nut, this time orienting the seam 180 degrees from the seam of the first piece.
Slide the packing nut up the shaft.
Slide the shaft through the Packing gland assembly and into the strut.
Screw the packing nut onto the packing gland assembly. Tighten it up as much as possible by hand. Then using a wrench, turn the nut a 1/2 a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. Then turn the nut a 1/2 a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. Then turn the nut a ½ a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. This will pack the packing fairly tight.
Back the packing nut off the assembly again. Then thread it back on. Tighten it only as tight as you can get it using your hands. This should be almost the perfect tightness for the packing gland so that it does not leak, yet not too tight so that the packing burns up.
Tighten the Lock Nut up to the Packing Gland Nut.
If you want to add the third piece of packing, do so when you back the nut off after you packed the packing. Then tighten the nut only as tight as you can get it using your hands. This should be almost the perfect tightness for the packing gland so that it does not leak, yet not too tight so that the packing burns up.

TMC Search by Google, in FAQ, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=503319&postcount=52, here, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5427

Cloaked
07-13-2008, 06:29 PM
I believe my packing seal is leaking in my '04 197 prostar. I read in the manual about an adjustment. Is that where I should start?? It's leaking quite of bit of water, NOT just dripping like I know it should and this has seemed to happen all at once. Please help!!! Try an adjustment first, or do I have bigger problem like a seal has gone completely "out". The boat only has 160 hours on it. If I adjust, which nut do I loosen first. One nut is much wider than the other. Thanks for the help.

Todd
As stated by Frank and as well the packing may have a small misalignment, etc which will allow a good seepage. Good info in the post before this one.

I'd go ahead and replace the packing with new graphite packing. No drip is required for anything. The graphite serves that purpose. I'd replace the packing and before placing the flooring back in, take it out and run it. Take your wrenches and tighten it snug to zero seepage and call it a done deal. Then put the flooring back in place. It's real simple to do. Check the FAQ section (find a link in East TX's sig line). Good tutorial on how to properly lay the packing in place, inside of the packing gland.

cbryan70
07-13-2008, 06:31 PM
NO drippage is needed?

Cloaked
07-13-2008, 08:18 PM
NO drippage is needed?Correct. I will not debate this so don't go fishing. Graphite serves a purpose. Don't go there unless you know high pressure steam valves and graphite packing for said valves... Same principle in application... :D:D:D

However, it's each to their own.