PDA

View Full Version : Xstar Transmission Problem

JOEMO1
07-13-2008, 03:31 PM
My Son had our 05 Xstar out yesterday and heard a strange sound (whirring noise) as he was at nearly full thottle trying to outrun a thunderstorm on the lake.
The boat came to a stop despite the engine running fine. The boat will start and shift into forward and reverse (you can see the linkage move) but not activate the transmission.
I came out and checked the trans fluid the 15w + was dry, we refilled the trans. and checked the fluid, started the boat and no movement.
Any ideas............or are we looking at a new trans? Where did the fluid go? No signs of leaks in the bilge?

Help or advice if possible?

thanks

TMCNo1
07-13-2008, 04:22 PM
I think I'd be setting up a appointment with my dealer!

KHall
07-13-2008, 08:17 PM
How often do you check the trans fluid?

JOEMO1
07-14-2008, 12:48 AM
Obviously Not Often Enough........ My Son Asked To Take The Boat Out With Friends Earlier In The Day And I Reminded Him To Check All The Fluid Levels Etc.
I Should Have Checked Them Myself.

Joe

cbryan70
07-14-2008, 01:03 AM
welp.....make him pay for it

KHall
07-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Was just trying to see how long it took to "disappear", not trying to point out the obvious. Thinking the oil cooler might be the only path for the oil to leave the boat unseen, but would water come in?

Did it stop will in gear? Does the propeller spin by hand?
Anyway unless you mechanically inclined, it’s probably taking a trip for repair.

Sorry for your troubles.

JOEMO1
07-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Yes it stopped in gear, yes the prop spins by hand, and yes we need to get it to the shop and have it checked out.

Thanks for your help.

joe

MariStar-Man
08-16-2009, 03:50 PM
My Son had our 05 Xstar out yesterday and heard a strange sound (whirring noise)

Did you find out what it was and what needed to be done to fix it? mine is making a metallic banging sound and a high pitch squeal...