PDA

View Full Version : Tinted windshield?

huntinghuasna
08-10-2004, 04:00 PM
We just purchased a í05 MC X2. This is our first towboat. The boat is orange and black with a white cap. Iíve seen boats with tinted front windshields and they look nice. Iíve been told it helps keep the dash and controls protected from the sun. But, is it legal? Is it safe? How dark could I go without sacrificing safety? Any advice would be appreciated.

bcampbe7
08-10-2004, 04:05 PM
I thought about this but I am not sure if the benefits outweigh the safety issues.

Andyg
08-10-2004, 05:29 PM
I guess the question I would ask myself is would you tint the windshield on your car if it were legal?

JEREMY79
08-10-2004, 05:44 PM
i've thought about tinting mine
let us know what you decide

AirJunky
08-10-2004, 06:27 PM
Only if you don't want to look thru it very often, especially in low light. My brother did it on an '88 Prostar. The windshield is so low on it anyway that you can just look over it.

gene dobies
08-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Hi Huntinghusana. I don't know much about tinted windshields but was hoping you could post a pic of the new boat. Love to see all the possible color schemes since we are getting a new prostar in the spring and having a tough time deciding. Thanks

H20skeefreek
08-10-2004, 09:43 PM
I'm in the process of tinting mine right now. I've got the drivers side glass tinted, I'll finish it all tomorrow hopefully.

_JR
08-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Will be tinting mine this winter...time to RIDE now! :banana:

huntinghuasna
08-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Hello gene dobies! The boat is due the week of Aug. 15th. When we recieve it and when I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll give it a try.
Thanks, HH

jimmer2880
08-11-2004, 06:45 AM
My 95 isn't tinted & the dash looks the same as it did the day it came off the show room floor. So - don't tint it if you're after protection.

Personally - I dont' think I would like a tinted windshield. Especially when coming home after dark & all the bugs are out - I'd want to be able to hide behind it.

my :twocents:

Gino
12-06-2004, 03:14 PM
i've had cars with film window tint.....on a boat tho, would you apply tint to inside or outside of the windscreen? its probably easier to apply to outside as one wouldn't have to remove the screen from the boat. {'83 S&S} however, the mooring cover might tend to wear/scratch the film. any suggestions greatly appreciated. thanx. /g. :confused:

H20skeefreek
12-06-2004, 03:19 PM
i've had cars with film window tint.....on a boat tho, would you apply tint to inside or outside of the windscreen? its probably easier to apply to outside as one wouldn't have to remove the screen from the boat. {'83 S&S} however, the mooring cover might tend to wear/scratch the film. any suggestions greatly appreciated. thanx. /g. :confused:

gino, i tinted my '85 S&S. It does need to be on the inside, otherwise you could see in, but not out. You'll need to remove the dash pod to be able to access the window, then you can tint it with it still in the boat. I have since removed it b/c I didn't like that around dusk, i couldn't see crap through it.

Gino
12-06-2004, 03:30 PM
gino, i tinted my '85 S&S. It does need to be on the inside, otherwise you could see in, but not out. You'll need to remove the dash pod to be able to access the window, then you can tint it with it still in the boat. I have since removed it b/c I didn't like that around dusk, i couldn't see crap through it. H2: i'm diggin' the dusk saftey issue. killed some ducks 'cuz i couldn't see 'em at dusk this summer-with a CLEAR windshield! and those dark green kayak's w/o running lights people use in the evening 'round here---well, saftey is no accident; 'nuff said. thanx man.....guess i'll pass on the tint. /g.

H20skeefreek
12-06-2004, 03:32 PM
H2: i'm diggin' the dusk saftey issue. killed some ducks 'cuz i couldn't see 'em at dusk this summer-with a CLEAR windshield! and those dark green kayak's w/o running lights people use in the evening 'round here---well, saftey is no accident; 'nuff said. thanx man.....guess i'll pass on the tint. /g.

it did look pretty good though. And as if there aren't enough damn ducks anyway.

Gino
12-06-2004, 03:51 PM
it did look pretty good though. And as if there aren't enough damn ducks anyway.
yeah, way too many ducks. had one hit me in the chest 'round bouy 5 a few years ago....killed it instantly. better him than me.......tint LOOKS cool, but i'll take function over fashion every time. and, there's something to be said for keeping 'ol Rob Shirley's boats looking like "back in the day"........... ;)

milkmania
12-06-2004, 06:10 PM
too much interior reflection in low light

if you think about this, look at the tinted side windows in your car or truck
late evening, or dark. way too much light reflecting back.

it's going to be the same way with a tinted windshield

nattylightmike
12-06-2004, 08:35 PM
I did mine last winter. I think it is 30%, I didn't wan't to go too dark but I still wanted that look. It does keep the dash cooler, you just have to be ready to deal with the water spots. If you are tinting older glass you should take a real close look at it and see how many little tiny scratches are on it because once you do tint it you will be able to see everything. I think it was worth every bit of $200.

milkmania
12-06-2004, 10:22 PM
I agree....I love the look of it, and strongly considered it, until the tint guy talked outta it :(

where do I get one of those 6 foot ratchet straps for the pole?

I've got the Skylon that came with it, the pylon sleeves, cable cover, cable, but just no ratchet strap :cool:

I've also downloaded the Skylon PDF file, and searched it over pretty well...

the only thing I can do at this point is hook up to the eye on the bow, and I refuse to do that :cry:

http://home.alltel.net/bhammon/skylon.jpg

Thrall
12-07-2004, 12:44 AM
mlikmania,
If the part you circled is what you need, then you don't need the ratchet strap as you described, you just need the bow strap. If you don't want to pay dlr prices, you could just go to a construction supply outfit. Probably even online. Whitecap is the first that comes to mind, and buy a 1" or 2" nylon sling, 4 or 6' long. Would work fine, cost about $20. For the clevis/carabiner, use a mountaineering carabiner or light duty shackle (const supply). Both are inexpensive.
If you do need the ratchet portion, you could get a good load rated ratchet tiedown for motorcycles, trailers, etc.

On the subject, I think a tinted windshield would look killer on my boat, but the visibility is definately an issue. Can a person get a mirrored one way tint that doesn't reduce light transmission (visibility). Chrome Windshield!

milkmania
12-07-2004, 12:56 AM
you are correct ;)

as I'm looking at that image I posted, I remember hooking my ratchet strap to the bow eye and racheting it a few times....didn't like the results.

then I found the pdf file showing how to run the bow strap around the front of the bow.

I'll look into finding the strap and carabiner locally.

dang, September was a long time ago when I had all the parts strung out....lol
prolly had a lot to do with that sky/water, sky/water, sky/water/stars spill I had a while back :D

thanks

milkmania
01-21-2005, 08:17 PM
well, I just got off the phone with Brian at Skylon.

we're trying to figure out if my down cable has been modified, I'm sending him the measurements, I also told him if I run my ratchet uder the bow it will not snap back into the downstrap. and also the ratchet will rest on the rub rail:(

http://home.alltel.net/bhammon/04.jpg

DanC
01-21-2005, 09:08 PM
You are missing another strap. The cable comes down from the pylon to the web strap and that web strap is fed directly into the ratchet. The snap hook end of the ratchet then snaps into the two ends of another ~5 foot web strap that wraps around the nose and through the bow eye. You need the 5 foot bow strap shown in NattylikeMikes picture.

Thrall pretty much has it explained.

BTW the strap coming off the wire cable off the top of the Skylon is super extra long so it will fit lots of types of boats. Don't be confused by how long it is, I had to cut a whole bunch off.

Clear as mud? :confused:

milkmania
01-21-2005, 09:49 PM
well yes, now I see that I am truly an idiot:purplaugh

I need the part marked in blue, I got it figgered out now

http://home.alltel.net/bhammon/skylon1.jpg

milkmania
01-21-2005, 09:51 PM
and I was blind to what Thrall was trying to tell me

looks like I could use one of these????????

http://www.patrollersupply.com/store/cart_item_review.asp?itemID=832

BriEOD
01-22-2005, 10:00 AM
So you gonna tint that thing? ;)

Leroy
01-22-2005, 11:24 AM
I just helped my son tint his car windows and it was pretty easy on the less curved parts. Buying kit at Walmart it's $10 that will cover two side windows or the back. I bet $20 would cover any boat and another $10 for installation kit and razor knife.

Thrall
01-24-2005, 10:31 AM
milkmania, That strap would work fine. You already have the carabiner.
It catches both ends of the bow strap and the fixed end of the ratchet strap.