PDA

View Full Version : filter for fuel pickup

H20skeefreek
07-12-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm looking for some sort of filter bag to add to my fuel pickup. I keep sucking up "trash" into my fuel pickup, and it clogs. I'm looking to keep this from happening w/o replacing the tank. I was thinking of a filter bag to put over the pickup head, something like this, but durable enough for the fuel tank. It needs to fasten on the the pickup hose, so that it will still fit through the tiny threaded hole in the top of the tank. I'm eventually going to convert the boat over to LPG, so i don't want to replace the tank now.

JimN
07-12-2008, 12:26 PM
I would start by finding out how the trash is getting into the tank. If it's "just there, waiting to be picked up", cleaning the tank is a better solution because some of the trash can break down in the gas and end up in the carb, anyway. Why not install an inline filter with a removable element, or get a section of fuel line that fits a GM style filter, like the GF 626? Quick, easy and since the pump isn't in the tank, high pressure isn't an issue.

H20skeefreek
07-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I've tried to clean the tank in the past, and haven't had any luck getting this stuff out (it's little pieces of gelcoat, and some sort of "plastic rocks".

I already have a filter with replacable element installed in-line before the fuel/water seperator, both of which I replace/clean regularly. I'm not really worried about this stuff getting to the carb. The problem is that the hole in the fuel pickup is VERY tiny, and is getting clogged at the pickup. I can install all of the filters in the world, but it won't help b/c the stuff isn't getting that far. I wish I had a picture of this pickup to show, but I don't. If I could just keep the "trash" from getting to the pickup, I could keep skiing 'til this winter when I hopefully will convert to LPG.

JimN
07-12-2008, 01:01 PM
If all of that stuff is loose, it can be removed but the tank will need to come out. Once it's gone, it won't come back but even a sock will become clogged. Pull the tank, drain it and dry it out. Once it's dry, bang on it and cause the stuff to collect at the corner near the filler neck. You'll also need to remove the plate with the sender and pickup, so that can be cleaned out, too. Vacuum it out and make sure there's nothing left over. It's not that hard to do and once it's gone, you won't need to deal with it again.