PDA

View Full Version : More trailer woes

ncsone
07-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Let me start out by saying that I love my boat, but am starting to hate my trailer. I am having more trailer issues on my 06 MC single axle trailer.

My dealer is 60 miles away and calling them was not much help.

On my way back into town last weekend (and again today), my MC trailer has given me some serious grief.

When I start slowing down to stop, the trailer starts surging back and forth against my truck violently. It is similar to a feeling of the brakes having warped rotors, only 20x more violent. Both my Tahoe and the trailer end up violently surging back and forth. It is so bad that the trailer tires are locking up when it surges forward. And, the whole thing is so violent that the boat is bouncing around as well. Stopping for a light will cause this to happen 10-14 times before you can get stopped.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I welcome all suggestions. I am sooo close to getting rid of this trailer and picking up an aftermarket one instead.

Ric
07-11-2008, 01:27 PM
search this site for my LONG trailer saga. One of my issues was the surging you describe. I had the surging from day one and MC had a replacement orifice valve which went in place behind the master cylinder which cleared up the problem.

Your dealer may want to send a guy to your place rather than towing 60miles like that, but I am getting ahead of myself..

I guess you could disconnect the brakes and tow to the dealer but that isn't really safe.

ncsone
07-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Ric-

I remember that you mentioned that on some trailer issues before. However, this is an intermittant problem that just started up last Sunday. So, I am thinking that it might be more related to something in the brake system failing. My first thought was that the spring in the MC assembly might be failing/broken.

east tx skier
07-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Neill, have you checked your brake fluid reservoir? You might have a leak in the lines somewhere. I pulled a boat with no fluid once and it did the same thing.

ttu
07-11-2008, 02:13 PM
i had a similiar problem with my mc trailer.

turned out that there was no brake fluid due to a adjusting screw missing.

dealer fixed it up for me and put all new brakes on it at the same time under warranty.

ncsone
07-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Yes, that was the first thing that I checked. The mc is topped off.

In fact, the mc itself is only 3 months old at the most.

jkski
07-11-2008, 03:09 PM
I had a similar issue with my 2002 trailer, as many people did and as Ric stated, it involved replacing the orifice. With that said, I would only notice this issue when the trailer was empty(no boat), like going back to the launch ramp to retrieve the boat. If you have your boat on the trailer and are experiencing this issue, you may want to start by bleeding your brake lines and making sure that there is no air in the lines. By doing this fairly easy task, you will at least eliminate one variable.

TMCNo1
07-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Let me start out by saying that I love my boat, but am starting to hate my trailer. I am having more trailer issues on my 06 MC single axle trailer.

My dealer is 60 miles away and calling them was not much help.

On my way back into town last weekend (and again today), my MC trailer has given me some serious grief.

When I start slowing down to stop, the trailer starts surging back and forth against my truck violently. It is similar to a feeling of the brakes having warped rotors, only 20x more violent. Both my Tahoe and the trailer end up violently surging back and forth. It is so bad that the trailer tires are locking up when it surges forward. And, the whole thing is so violent that the boat is bouncing around as well. Stopping for a light will cause this to happen 10-14 times before you can get stopped.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I welcome all suggestions. I am sooo close to getting rid of this trailer and picking up an aftermarket one instead.

Is the boat on or off the trailer?

If it happens when it's off the trailer, it's because the boat is not on there to weight it down and the brakes are locking up and thenre is no weight there to keep in on the ground and it bounces everywhere. This has been discussed here extensively before many times.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Last time I checked, a few raps with a Brass hammer can fix just about anything.

ncsone
07-11-2008, 03:43 PM
So far, have only noticed it with the boat ON the trailer. It is so violent when it happens that it kind of freaks you out. Your whole truck and trailer are surging back and forth, trailer tires are locking up and your boat is moving around on the trailer.

It is not a good site to see in your mirrors...

TMCNo1
07-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Have you checked or had the shock absorber in the actutor checked to see if it has failed? The shock inside is there to prevent the problem of surging otherwise, the actuator will basically bounce from engaged or disengaged acting against the pressure of the brake fluid in the lines till the line somewhere, a caliper or the mastercylinder blows from the pressure of the surging. The shock dampens and smoothes out the action of the mastercylinder.

ncsone
07-11-2008, 03:59 PM
No, but that is the kind of info I am looking for. I know it is a Reliable actuator and I have had zero luck finding any info/diagram on Reliable products. Do you know for sure that there is a damper in the Reliable actuators?

east tx skier
07-11-2008, 04:02 PM
So far, have only noticed it with the boat ON the trailer. It is so violent when it happens that it kind of freaks you out. Your whole truck and trailer are surging back and forth, trailer tires are locking up and your boat is moving around on the trailer.

It is not a good site to see in your mirrors...

So you are not coming down here to ski this weekend? :)

Give Shannon at Ski N Sports a call. He might be able to give you some info over the phone.

903-509-1754

Tell him I referred you.

ncsone
07-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Bump-Bump.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Where is Ric? he knows about trailers.

TMCNo1
07-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Where is Ric? he knows about trailers.

He wanted to prepare some sushi and is out trying find his old trailer to cut it up on!

atlfootr
07-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Last time I checked, a few raps with a Brass hammer can fix just about anything.Why brass, won't a simple mallet surfice?

TMCNo1
07-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Do we have a update on this problem?

ncsone
07-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Well, I put new tires on it thinking it was a separating tire. NO luck. Called the dealer's service department. They gave me a lot of yeah, uh-huh, whatever, your rotors are warped, etc. After explaining (and explaining) that I knew what warped rotors were and this was not it, I just took the trailer and boat to the dealer (about 60 miles) on Saturday afternoon. I grabbed the head mechanic and took him for a ride. At about the 3rd stop sign, the whole trailer starting bouncing up and down, the tires were locking up and my Tahoe felt like it was being shaken apart. All the mechanic could say was 'yeah, that is definitely a problem'.

So, we replaced the actuator assembly in the trailer. This assembly includes a new spring and damper that controls the oscillations back and forth under braking. Drove it home and it felt solid and secure and fixed.

Went to the lake last night and it is still happening. It is not happening nearly as bad and it is controllable now, but there is still something wrong and no one knows what it really is. You can still feel the trailer surging forward and back on the ball, causing the brakes to bite and release.

My solution is probably going to be to make it to the winter on this trailer and then get a new trailer over the winter. And, it won't be a MC trailer, I will get a Dorsey or something comparable. I have had a lot of good luck with Dorsey's in the past. This is my first MC and I have not been happy with it at all.

Andyg
07-19-2008, 10:55 AM
What is the tongue height of your trailer when on the truck. If the tongue of the trailer is too low it will cause a surging problem as it is easier to actuate the breaks on the trailer with boat driving the actuator down into the truck. If I remember correctly the top of the ball should be 18-20 inches off the ground.

Farmer Ted
07-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Well, I put new tires on it thinking it was a separating tire. NO luck. Called the dealer's service department. They gave me a lot of yeah, uh-huh, whatever, your rotors are warped, etc. After explaining (and explaining) that I knew what warped rotors were and this was not it, I just took the trailer and boat to the dealer (about 60 miles) on Saturday afternoon. I grabbed the head mechanic and took him for a ride. At about the 3rd stop sign, the whole trailer starting bouncing up and down, the tires were locking up and my Tahoe felt like it was being shaken apart. All the mechanic could say was 'yeah, that is definitely a problem'.

So, we replaced the actuator assembly in the trailer. This assembly includes a new spring and damper that controls the oscillations back and forth under braking. Drove it home and it felt solid and secure and fixed.

Went to the lake last night and it is still happening. It is not happening nearly as bad and it is controllable now, but there is still something wrong and no one knows what it really is. You can still feel the trailer surging forward and back on the ball, causing the brakes to bite and release.

My solution is probably going to be to make it to the winter on this trailer and then get a new trailer over the winter. And, it won't be a MC trailer, I will get a Dorsey or something comparable. I have had a lot of good luck with Dorsey's in the past. This is my first MC and I have not been happy with it at all.

I'll buy the trailer from you if you want to sell it.......

TMCNo1
07-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Just a thought, but I would make sure or have someone make sure that the trailer lighting, backup solenoid and ground wiring is wired correctly and working properly and not causing the solenoid from opening up and close as if there was a short or improperly wired.
Or, as has been demonstrated this week, there are some few dealers who are blowing smoke about their knowledge of parts availability and willingness/ability to do repair work and or do it properly.

bigmac
07-19-2008, 02:22 PM
My MasterCraft trailer is by far the prettiest-looking and worst-functioning trailer of ANY kind that I've ever owned.

It just baffles me, too. All it is is a well-constructed frame with a conglomeration of aftermarket parts attached (tongue, axles, actuator, brakes etc). And those parts, used on other brands of trailer, all seem to work fine.

Puzzling. I've never figured it out. Fortunately, I trailer the thing a maximum of about 20 miles per year, so it's not a very pressing issue for me.

atlfootr
07-20-2008, 08:20 AM
I'll buy the trailer from you if you want to sell it.......Before you sell it to Farmer Ted, I'd haul it back down to the MC Factory in Vonore, TN and tell 'em you'd like a replacement :D
Wouldn't it be sweeeeeeeeeet, if they gave you a new one :rolleyes:

bigmac
07-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Before you sell it to Farmer Ted, I'd haul it back down to the MC Factory in Vonore, TN and tell 'em you'd like a replacement :D
Wouldn't it be sweeeeeeeeeet, if they gave you a new one :rolleyes:Only if the new one works better than the old one....

What's the consensus? Seems like MC trailer really hit rock bottom in the early 2000's - brakes and actuators in particular (not to mention bunks and V-blocks etc), but I haven't heard very many lockup horror stories lately. Are the new trailers any better?

atlfootr
07-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Our trailer has been sitting for 1-2 years, ever since I built my dock.

WTRSK1R
07-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Thought I would add a comment to this thread. I recently starting having a similiar but not nearly as violent of a problem when trying to slow down. If I put light pressure on the brakes the whole truck (Explorer) and boat would shake. If I braked more firmly, it was more or less ok. Felt just like a warped rotor. Without the trailer, I could feel just the slightest amount of brake pedal bounce when braking lightly. Again, this too felt like a warped rotor, but only one that was ever so slightly warped. Not really enough to make me say OMG I better get the brakes fixed on the truck. So this past weekend I decided to take the rotors in and see if they could be cut. Unfortunately, not enough material left, so I had to replace them. Long story short, pedal pulsation is completely gone without the trailer, and the shudder with the trailer is gone too. Apparently, there was just enough of a warp in the old rotor to make the truck pulsate a bit. The boat and trailer amplified this pulsation in a way that I would never have expected. Towed great to the lake today, and I am a happy camper.
:D

east tx skier
07-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Only if the new one works better than the old one....

What's the consensus? Seems like MC trailer really hit rock bottom in the early 2000's - brakes and actuators in particular (not to mention bunks and V-blocks etc), but I haven't heard very many lockup horror stories lately. Are the new trailers any better?

I'm told 98 was the last good one. Since our newest MC is a 98 and I have no basis of comparison, but know that the 98 trailer has been trouble free for our family, I'm inclined to believe it.

2000 was the spring recall.

kman
08-04-2008, 10:05 AM
I have an 05 trailer and have the exact same issue as ncsone is describing. Just started last weekend. It was bucking so hard, I thought the boat was going to be in the back seat before we got stopped. Wasn't sure I was going to make it back home.

I had planned to go through the trailer this winter, but it looks like I'll be doing it this week. I just had to work on this stupid trailer 3 weeks ago to replace the dumb plastic oil bath covers because one broke.

Extremely annoying.

rspiecha
08-04-2008, 01:57 PM
I second that kman......Lets not mention all the nuts on the bunks about to fall off. 3 cents more per nut, and they could of been nylocked.

east tx skier
08-04-2008, 02:44 PM
I second that kman......Lets not mention all the nuts on the bunks about to fall off. 3 cents more per nut, and they could of been nylocked.

For what it's worth, if I redid my bunks today, I would not use nylocks, but rather, would just double up on the nuts. I'm not sure about today's MC trailer, but if they're like my old trailer, a as the bunks get older, the carriage bolts holding them in place don't have as much traction on the bunk wood as they did when they were first pounded into place. If they start turning in place, a nylock nut is not going to make the job of getting that bolt out easier. For a while, I know MC was using lag screws from the bottom up. But with carriage bolts, I'd double up on stainless nuts rather than use nylock.

Ric
08-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Before you sell it to Farmer Ted, I'd haul it back down to the MC Factory in Vonore, TN and tell 'em you'd like a replacement :D
Wouldn't it be sweeeeeeeeeet, if they gave you a new one :rolleyes:

Ohhhh the MC trailer stories I could tell.....

Atl, he could try to trek it to vonore, but all that said, we waited several months for my new trailer to be made and in the end I learned that my dealer bought the new trailer, it was not a warranty replacement.

Mac, my new 07 trailer tows, loads and unloads like a dream.

I want to say that MC trailer shop got it right after 06, but I do not know how much special attention my 07 may have gotten over a standard trailer... I know for a fact it was walked through the build process by a specific MC engineer which maybe why it's so nice.

kman
08-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Took mine in to the dealer today, looks like warranty is going to cover it, so we'll see what they say.

For a side note, anyone that has not replaced the plastic oil bath hub covers, I highly recommend it. One of mine had a slight leak, so I took the wheel off to try and find where the leak was. I barely touched the cover and it fell off on the ground and dumped all the oil. This could have very easily came off while going down the road and I would have never known it till it was too late. What's worse is that when I replaced them with the aluminum ones, the other 3 were cracked. Then my buddy rspiecha got paranoid and replaced his, and all of his were cracked. He's only got about 500 miles on his trailer.