PDA

View Full Version : How to Clean a Fuel Tank

boofer
07-11-2008, 12:55 PM
I have had the symptoms of an impending fuel pump failure. I want to rule out water in the gas. How do I siphon out the gas? How do I clean the tank? I would prefer to do this without removing the tank. I have not found any good information and would appreciate a little assistance.

This is on a 2005 X-2.

flipper
07-11-2008, 01:01 PM
You can get siphon hoses at auto stores with little hand pumps to get them going. Saves you the mouth full of fuel. Just keep the end of the hose lower than the tank. I'd put one side of the trailer up on blocks so all the fuel goes to one corner to get the most out.

As far as cleaning, don't know that you'll be able to wipe it out or anything with out taking the tank out. Maybe put a few gallons in after siphoning it tank out, and drive around to splash it around, and siphon that out.

boofer
07-11-2008, 05:54 PM
I have replaced the fuel filter. So, I could actually remove the module and reach into the tank if I had to. And then just let it air out for several days...after the siphon.

Sodar
07-11-2008, 06:03 PM
If you wanted to get it done quickly, there are mobile fuel polishing/cleaning companies. I know that fuel polishing is typically done to diesels, but they can do the same thing to gas and save your fuel in the process. We had to have the process done to a 38' offshore boat because the vent cover fell off during a race and let about 5 gallons of water into the tank. The whole process took about an hour... I do not remember the cost to have it done, but I remember it being less than $200.

boofer
07-14-2008, 09:45 PM
I bought one of the hand pumps from Autozone. I cannot get anything through it. I have about 1/2 tank of gas. There is gas on the end of the hose when I pull it out.

Is the vent hose connected to the fill hose? If so, my siphon hose might be trying to go down the vent hose. It would not make it through the 90 degree elbow on top of the tank and thus would not work. And, yes, I am sticking the correct hose down into the tank and I checked that it is creating suction.