PDA

View Full Version : Yes..another gel coat question

mrprostar
07-11-2008, 10:17 AM
I mentioned this in a previous thread and never heard anything back, but here goes again.

When we bought our 96 205 the hull in front was spray painted white where the gel coat had been worn off. We got a great deal on it so not that big of a concern. Well the paint has now worn off leaving a blackish strip about four feet long and two inches wide where the boat has been beached. I want to fix this properly but not sure how to go about it on an area that large. This winter I plan to fix little scratches and chips with the methods talked about in other threads and hope I can fix this as well. FYI- taking it somewhere to have re-gelcoated is not an option financially. Plus I would love to know how to do this for the future.

TMCNo1
07-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Did you have it painted or did the previous owner do it prior to the sale? Is the paint just peeling off or are you continuing to beach the boat and is the lake bottom just wearing it away?
Pilot02, here, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=81 completely redid the gelcoat on a TriStar winter before last and if you can contact him, he may be able to tutor you in the materials/equipment/procedures to accomplish your DIY gelcoat repairs. You may want to search his "Statistics" and read his threads and posts to see if he posted any of his procedures/steps in them.
I hope this helps.

AZDave
07-12-2008, 07:42 PM
This is not difficult. Buy a quart of matching gel coat from Spectrum color. About $120. Google "Gel Coat Repair" a really simple step by step procedure is found in Aqua skier.

Skipper
07-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Even though the repair area is somewhat large the steps are the same. Mask off the area to be repaired and add an inch to each side. Sand and fill any gouges. Wash with soap and water. Apply the gelcote in multiple thin layers. The last layer add wax for sanding. Once it is cured spray with black spray paint (this is called trace). Wet sand only starting with 400 grit. The black paint will disappear and any imperfections will remain black. Use progressively higher grit sand paper with trace. Then buff with a good buffing compound followed by a polishing compound (3M Finesse it III is great). Provided you have a good color match and blend the edges properly it should look like origional.

bigmac
07-21-2008, 09:55 AM
When we bought our 96 205 the hull in front was spray painted white where the gel coat had been worn off. We got a great deal on it so not that big of a concern. Well the paint has now worn off leaving a blackish strip about four feet long and two inches wide where the boat has been beached. I want to fix this properly but not sure how to go about it on an area that large. This winter I plan to fix little scratches and chips with the methods talked about in other threads and hope I can fix this as well. FYI- taking it somewhere to have re-gelcoated is not an option financially. Plus I would love to know how to do this for the future.

I don't get it. There was actual fiberglass exposed and the previous owner painted over it instead of re-gelcoating? Now, you have a blackish strip, which I assume is actual fiberglass (since the fiberglass is laid right over the gelcoat resin)?

JimN
07-21-2008, 10:19 AM
They shoot a barrier coat after the gelcoat, to keep the fiberglass pattern from telegraphing through and when you go through the color coat, the first thing you see is a layer of black.

If you plan on beaching it in the future, the way the original owner did, install a keel guard.

bigmac
07-21-2008, 10:28 AM
They shoot a barrier coat after the gelcoat, to keep the fiberglass pattern from telegraphing through and when you go through the color coat, the first thing you see is a layer of black.

Ah. Is the barrier coat polyester resin? How thick is it?

JimN
07-21-2008, 10:34 AM
I don't remember exactly how thick it is but if you don't see any fibers or a definite pattern, it hasn't gone that far. AFAIK, it is polyester resin.

bigmac
07-21-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't remember exactly how thick it is but if you don't see any fibers or a definite pattern, it hasn't gone that far. AFAIK, it is polyester resin.

The reason I ask is blister prevention. I remember there is a barrier coat that's supposed to keep water from osmotically seeping between the gel coat and the fiberglass and causing blisters, but I have always been curious as to what that barrier coat is made of...how thick it is, and what color it is (apparently it's black). It seems that it ought to be something more osmotically impervious to water than polyester resin apparently is.

Sorry for the threadjack.

JimN
07-21-2008, 12:29 PM
They talk about it in the factory tour link on the site. AFAIK, it's the gel coat that is subject to osmosis, not the poly resin. If there's a void, it can get in and do it's magic, but I've only seen blisters in gel coat.

bigmac
07-21-2008, 12:33 PM
They talk about it in the factory tour link on the site. AFAIK, it's the gel coat that is subject to osmosis, not the poly resin. If there's a void, it can get in and do it's magic, but I've only seen blisters in gel coat.
I thought gel coat was polyester resin.:confused:

JimN
07-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Partially, but when it cures and is sanded or polished, it's porous, which is how the moisture gets in. Unadulterated poly resin is much less likely to have a problem like this.

Skipper
07-22-2008, 08:25 AM
You can buy gelcote in polyester or epoxy. Not all gelcote is created equal; some sells at $40 a gallon, some at $120 a gallon; some requires a lot of wet sanding after application some goes on so smooth it requires only finishing sanding. Blistering only occurs when boats are left on the water for long periods of time. For the guy with the scratched up hull he can easily regel that area and it will be just fine.

mrprostar
07-23-2008, 02:31 PM
I'd be that guy and thanks for all your help. I will take care of it this winter along with all the other stuff. I'll try to post pictures.

MariStar-Man
08-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Try to post pictures...You'll Post Pictures and like it!

hahah thanks for future pics. I need to do the same thing. I will post Before pics soon...

here are some DIY's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcVOVMLvDwM

good luck