PDA

View Full Version : 1-800-be-petty

captkidd
04-20-2005, 02:40 PM
My wife bought me a Rookie Experience at the Richard Petty Driving Experience for Christmas last year (what a great wife; absolute best gift I've ever received). I went to Lowe's Motor Speedway yesterday for my drive, and it was awesome! Two friends of mine went too, and we really had a great time.

I decided to go for the Ride-Along first so I could get an idea of what to expect. They strap you in beside a professional driver who really likes to go fast; I think we hit about 165 mph and he was pouring it on!

Unfortunately, my own driving experience was somewhat of a disappointment; not the driving itself, but my results. Before we started, they took us around the track in a 15-passenger van and showed us the deceleration and acceleration points, as well as the racing lines to follow, correct hand position for the corners, etc. However, I was #24 out of 26 people, so it was about 2 hours later that I actually got to go out in the car. By that time I had forgotten practically everything they told me to do (and not to do). My lap times and top speed were a lot slower than I had hoped, so I was pretty bummed afterwards.

Still, it was a great day. Beautiful weather, awesome race car driving experience, and a ton of fun. I'm ready to go back, and as soon as I can afford it I'm going to go back and redeem myself. I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes to go fast and turn left (I remember several of you saying you've done this at other tracks as well); not every day you get to drive something with 500-600 hp and not worry about getting arrested.

tpttool
04-20-2005, 02:45 PM
thats awesome, i love nascar! i haves me all sorts of stuff.

bcampbe7
04-20-2005, 04:10 PM
That would be a blast Captn'. I think they do that at the Nashville Motor Speedway. I may have to check it out...

jsonova99
04-20-2005, 04:16 PM
My wife bought me a Rookie Experience at the Richard Petty Driving Experience for Christmas last year (what a great wife; absolute best gift I've ever received). I went to Lowe's Motor Speedway yesterday for my drive, and it was awesome! Two friends of mine went too, and we really had a great time.

I decided to go for the Ride-Along first so I could get an idea of what to expect. They strap you in beside a professional driver who really likes to go fast; I think we hit about 165 mph and he was pouring it on!

Unfortunately, my own driving experience was somewhat of a disappointment; not the driving itself, but my results. Before we started, they took us around the track in a 15-passenger van and showed us the deceleration and acceleration points, as well as the racing lines to follow, correct hand position for the corners, etc. However, I was #24 out of 26 people, so it was about 2 hours later that I actually got to go out in the car. By that time I had forgotten practically everything they told me to do (and not to do). My lap times and top speed were a lot slower than I had hoped, so I was pretty bummed afterwards.

Still, it was a great day. Beautiful weather, awesome race car driving experience, and a ton of fun. I'm ready to go back, and as soon as I can afford it I'm going to go back and redeem myself. I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes to go fast and turn left (I remember several of you saying you've done this at other tracks as well); not every day you get to drive something with 500-600 hp and not worry about getting arrested.

How fast did you go?

Larryp
04-20-2005, 04:28 PM
That's what my wife go me for christmas at TMS. I have 30 laps total. Just back from the races this weekend. I think I am going to next weekend. Gotta love my wife.

erkoehler
04-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Post some pics when/if you get em/

captkidd
04-26-2005, 09:55 AM
This is the first of four pictures. These are the only ones where I don't look too stupid or too fat.

Getting in the Car:

captkidd
04-26-2005, 09:56 AM
At speed (it's a relative term):

captkidd
04-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Back on pit road (shortly after completing my smoky burnout on the frontstretch):

captkidd
04-26-2005, 10:06 AM
After the run (he's asking me if I would like to become an instructor at the driving school ;) ):

captkidd
04-26-2005, 10:12 AM
So this is how I get my post count up.

It was really cool that I got the #9 car. Bill Elliott was my favorite driver, and Kasey Kahne is my new favorite (can't afford to switch cars because I'd have to buy new memorabilia). There were 4 cars and each one is pre-adjusted to fit a certain size driver, and I happened to be the right size for that car.

Actually, there were no smoky burnouts anywhere. In the drivers' meeting they warned us that anyone who spun the tires leaving pit road would be brought back in for a Stop & Go penalty: Stop the car and Go home!