PDA

View Full Version : '02 x star engine just turns over

Rollensteel
07-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Wife took the boat out with out the center plug in. A lot of water came into the boat. Boat ran fine for about a week and now it will not start. Just turns over. Any Ideas I can try?

kingu
07-10-2008, 04:35 PM
I had a similar experience w/ water in the boat...ruined the starter. Rebuilt starter 2 times and still wouldn't run. Replaced it and now it runs fine.

shunra
07-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Did you check your kill switch?

If it turns over the starter should be fine - unless it is turning real slow.

Start with the basics. Can you hear the fuel pump kick in when you first turn the key on (before you turn it over)? Are you getting spark?

How much water are we talking about here?

Rollensteel
07-10-2008, 06:04 PM
did check kill switch. took it off and replaced it a couple of times. The starter is turning over as normal. I don't think the fuel pump is kicking in? How can I check this more thorough? The perfect pass motor is shimmering back and forth and has all the string pulled in. I pulled a spark plug cover off and looked in it for spark while turning it over. Didn't see any spark. If I,m checking this wrong let me know.
I didn't see it. i was told half way up the ballast tanks.

JimN
07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Take a fuel sample. If the fuel pump was replaced and the bolts weren't tightened correctly/gaps in the gasket, water may have gotten into the tank.

Is there a water line on the motor from this? Look at the front of the motor for a pair of plugs on a bracket, near the crank pulley, if it's the LTR motor. These would be the crank sensors and if they got wet, they won't work.

Where in the Midwest?

Rollensteel
07-10-2008, 06:21 PM
west michigan

Rollensteel
07-10-2008, 06:29 PM
It got wet last thurs. We ran it a couple of time between then and yesterday when it stopped running.

Rollensteel
07-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Jim N
Can you really use 15 w 40 in the transmission? I am going to change the transmission tonight.

Rollensteel
07-10-2008, 07:08 PM
I just went out to the boat and it started. It has been uncovered for about 3 hours with the engine cover up. Is there something that could of dried out to allow this to happen?

JimN
07-10-2008, 08:29 PM
I'll let MYMC, The Legend or Jim@BAWS answer that question. I don't think I've heard of using a multi-viscosity oil in a transmission.

Any time a boat gets a lot of water in the bilge, it should be allowed to dry.