PDA

View Full Version : Boweye Access on S&S for Boat Buddy

vwtype53
07-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Hello all,

I have searched and searched, but have not found information about replacing the boweye on the older Stars and Stripes boats. I would like to install the Boat Buddy on my 81, and need to figure out how to replace the boweye with the new 3" boweye that comes with the Boat Buddy.

My interior is completely out right now, and I can see up under the dash... but there is definitely not enough room to "crawl" up into the bow to get my hands on the boweye bolts. I imagine one solution is to remove the rub rail and lift up the top decking to gain access to the boweye, but is there another way?

Thanks in advance!

ShamrockIV
07-10-2008, 10:00 AM
know any "little people"????????????

drylandfish
07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I would not take the rubrail off to access two nuts unless you plan on replacing it anyway. That would be way too much work. I'm 6'1" 190lbs and I can get to mine. I would give a kid a few bucks to crawl up in there and take the two nuts off if you cannot get to them. Is your lifting ring off of your boat already?

ShamrockIV
07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
190???????????????? come on now man!!!!! lol

Bellinghamster
07-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Heh heh... I've been wondering the same thing after reading about folks installing new bow eyes. The bow on my '79 S&S is completely filled with foam to within 3" of the deck all the way back to the kickboard. The lifting eye on the deck is loose and I'd really like to get in there to snug it up, but can't even see it. I figured the only way is to lift the deck, except I'm pretty sure the bow eye and the the lifting eye are somehow connected so the deck wouldn't lift off anyway... I guess cutting a "notch" out of the kickboard under the dash, then digging out the foam is the only option... not this year!

vwtype53
07-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Well, I do plan on replacing the rub rail at some point in the future... but maybe not just yet.

My lift ring is still installed. Should I remove it to help access the boweye?

As for sending a small kid up into the bow... I don't know if even a child could fit up there. When I look under the dash, about a foot up towards the bow, there is a fiberglass/wood panel kickpanel that is in place from the floor up to within just a few inches of the top deck. Yeah, I can barely see past it. Unless I cut this out, I don't see how it would be possible for anyone to get past it. It sounds like some of the S&S did not have this kickpanel blocking access to the bow? I just didn't want to cut the kickpanel if it was at all a structural piece. I suppose I could always remove it and then replace it when the job is completed. Unlike Bellinghamster, I don't recall seeing any foam behind the kickboard. Hmmm.

Thanks for the help so far.

Bruce Carr
07-10-2008, 11:39 AM
You should be able to simply rotate the lifting ring clockwise (looking down on it) to tighten it up. The nut underneath should be captive.

As far as access to the bow eye, you will probably have to tunnel your way up to the bow to gain access to the nuts. While your at it, why not remove the partial bulkhead (kick panel) and the foam, carpet the area and use the storage space. All '83 and newer SS boat are configured this way.

vwtype53
07-10-2008, 11:43 AM
So Bruce...

This kickpanel is not structural in any way? You think it would be completely safe to cut it out entirely? I do like the idea of carpeting up under the bow and using it for storage.

drylandfish
07-10-2008, 11:55 AM
The lifting ring will have to be removed to pop the top, but I have never removed mine. Try and loosen it topside and see what happens. I like Bruce's idea unless your trying to keep it as close to original as possible.

TMCNo1
07-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Heh heh... I've been wondering the same thing after reading about folks installing new bow eyes. The bow on my '79 S&S is completely filled with foam to within 3" of the deck all the way back to the kickboard. The lifting eye on the deck is loose and I'd really like to get in there to snug it up, but can't even see it. I figured the only way is to lift the deck, except I'm pretty sure the bow eye and the the lifting eye are somehow connected so the deck wouldn't lift off anyway... I guess cutting a "notch" out of the kickboard under the dash, then digging out the foam is the only option... not this year!

Stick a screw driver handle in the lifting eye and screw it in like a screw, just touching the gelcoat. That's all it takes. If in your case with no access to get inside, don't remove it or you'll never get it lined up in the threaded dowel in the boweye bracket.

ski_king
07-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Lets see some pictures of what we are talking about here.
My 82 is open to the bow eye, but I am Claustrophobic and would have a hard time crawling up in there.

TMCNo1
07-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Hello all,

I have searched and searched, but have not found information about replacing the boweye on the older Stars and Stripes boats. I would like to install the Boat Buddy on my 81, and need to figure out how to replace the boweye with the new 3" boweye that comes with the Boat Buddy.

My interior is completely out right now, and I can see up under the dash... but there is definitely not enough room to "crawl" up into the bow to get my hands on the boweye bolts. I imagine one solution is to remove the rub rail and lift up the top decking to gain access to the boweye, but is there another way?

Thanks in advance!

Somehow, you will have to replace the boweye with the longer one in order for the BB to work properly. How you achieve it of your choice.

Bruce Carr
07-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I had a friend with a 81. It didn't look any different up in the nose of the boat than my '83 except for the kick panel. I don't think his had much of any foam forward of the kick panel either. I think it would be fine as long as the floor up in the bow area is glassed into the hull.

Relative to the lift eye again. I unscrew mine and remove it when I buff out the gel every couple years. The nut is held in place by a bracket that is connected to the bow eye. This bracket transfers the vertical lifting load into the hull through the bow eye. The deck itself can't take any vertical (or horizontal) loads at the lifting eye.

vwtype53
07-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Tonight I did some more investigating... I got my head up under the dash and was able to barely peer over the kickpanel(s) with a flashlight to see that there is, indeed, some foam in the bow area. There is one main kick panel (carpeted), and a second panel behind it. The second panel is only on the driver's side and does not extend all the way across the width of the boat like the exposed carpeted kick panel. I have attached a couple pictures to show this. As Bruce suggested, I am considering removing the panel and the foam to open up the bow area for storage. Of course, this would ultimately allow me to have full access to the bow area so that I could replace my boweye with the larger Boat Buddy boweye.

Any structural reason I should not remove the kick panel(s)?

ULMboarder
07-10-2008, 11:58 PM
let me know how this goes cause i would really love to put a sac in the front of mine and the storage would be great.

chico
07-11-2008, 09:13 AM
On my 78 I had to open up the bow by drilling all the rivets out under the rub rail,there is wood behind the nuts on the inside which was rotted so be prepared to make something to replace it.