PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER Wake Surf Question

BriEOD
07-09-2008, 12:17 PM
I've decided to give wake surfing a whirl in hopes of getting my wife hooked on it. I have been a few times behind my friends boat and have read some different threads on here and other boards. I purchased two good sized fat sacs that I intend to put in the back and side of the 205, respectively.

My question is in regards to a board. I see them from $200-700. I assume it is much like regular surfing in that the bigger the board the easier for beginners. So, I need something for beginners that is going to serve us well. I see the "Blue Lake" has gotten great reviews but it is about $600 after shipping! :eek3: Any suggestions or things to stay away from would be appreciated.

Thx!:cool:

east tx skier
07-09-2008, 12:20 PM
This doesn't really answer your question, but figured I'd mention it. I went wake surfing with some guys last year. Their method on weight and driving was to drain one side and load up the other side with weight. Then, they'd make somewhat shallow, but constant turns toward the weighted side (think wide circle).

Fishermen loved them. :o

ttu
07-09-2008, 12:26 PM
I've decided to give wake surfing a whirl in hopes of getting my wife hooked on it. I have been a few times behind my friends boat and have read some different threads on here and other boards. I purchased two good sized fat sacs that I intend to put in the back and side of the 205, respectively.

My question is in regards to a board. I see them from $200-700. I assume it is much like regular surfing in that the bigger the board the easier for beginners. So, I need something for beginners that is going to serve us well. I see the "Blue Lake" has gotten great reviews but it is about $600 after shipping! :eek3: Any suggestions or things to stay away from would be appreciated.

i have a blue lake and love it. i ordered mine direct from inland surfer and he gave me a really good price but shipping was something like $75.00

i looked over on wakeoutlaws.com and you can get it shipped for $520.00

Roonie's
07-09-2008, 12:44 PM
i have a blue lake and love it. i ordered mine direct from inland surfer and he gave me a really good price but shipping was something like $75.00

i looked over on wakeoutlaws.com and you can get it shipped for $520.00

The $600 price is directly from the Inland surfer web site as I too was about to buy the board. Thanks for the wakeoutlaws info.

tr6coug
07-09-2008, 01:34 PM
We learned on a 4'-9" hyperlite broadcast and still use it all the time. My wife weighs 100 lbs and I weigh 180 and we both surf that board and we have taught lots of people on that board. We also have a CWB Tsunami surf board (~5'-1")and its great. It was about $250 last summer. The CWB is probably a little better to learn on because it tracks straighter.

ncsone
07-09-2008, 01:40 PM
I have a friend who swears by his Liquid Force Venture board. I have yet to be out on it, but I think it is going to be a great ride.

ShamrockIV
07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
we have a cwb ride. it is a great board for all levels. it seems to turn better than the boraidcast since it has rockers cut in it. we took the middle back fin out to loosen it up!!! it is a reat board and u can find them for less than $$300!!

SDAhockey21
07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Make sure to check out the New RONIX surfers. The caption is an awesome board, and everyone seems to love it. I rode an Island Surfer and thought it was nice but I still liked the RONIX Caption better. A good all around board that is great for beginner up to advanced, basically what your looking for.

Everyone that previously rode the HYP broadcasts, likes the RONIX Caption surfer hands down.

sixysixss
07-09-2008, 01:46 PM
I've had my CWB Ride for about 2 years now. I think it was a good starting board and now it is not so long that we can't do tricks. I'm happy with it, especially at $250-$300.

SDAhockey21
07-09-2008, 01:46 PM
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/535789.html?1211405864

ShamrockIV
07-09-2008, 01:49 PM
I've had my CWB Ride for about 2 years now. I think it was a good starting board and now it is not so long that we can't do tricks. I'm happy with it, especially at $250-$300.

yeah but for learning it is great!!! if u like it and want something shorter get a tsunami!!! it rides alot the same but is looser and easier to spin!!!

i have had people ride my board and the broadcast they all say they cant get the broadcast to turn but the ride will!!!!

sand2snow22
07-09-2008, 04:40 PM

Try to find a used Blue. A lot cheaper. They make very small changes to the board every year. I'd start with fleabay and wakeworld.!

GOTENAC
07-16-2008, 10:45 PM

I love my LF Custom 4'10" My experience is with actual surfing. The LF Custom gives me the feel of a true surfboard. For more aggressive maneuvers I have enjoyed the Phase5.

BeavenX5
07-18-2008, 09:27 AM
We learned on a 4'-9" hyperlite broadcast and still use it all the time. My wife weighs 100 lbs and I weigh 180 and we both surf that board and we have taught lots of people on that board. We also have a CWB Tsunami surf board (~5'-1")and its great. It was about $250 last summer. The CWB is probably a little better to learn on because it tracks straighter.

I bought this HL Broadcast 2 years ago at wakeside.com for a little over $200. It is a great beginner board and it make wakesurf very easy to master. My kids were 9 and 10 when I got it, my wife is 110 lbs and I am 190 lbs and everybody is enjoying it. It is not made to do much figures with the small wake my 195 (X5) and your PS205 produce. My friend has a much smaller Liquid Force board I used a few time but because of the small wake of our boats (close to the boat also), it is very hard to do complex figures even with a more advance board. Everyone, (family and frends) can enjoy the larger beginner board, even with our "small" wakes.

Now, If you had a X-Star, this would be different ;). I tried it and it is a totally diffrent sport :D

Just my 2 cents

Lennyp04
07-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Here is my friend riding a Liquid Force Wakesurf. I think its the Venture 5'6". He just doesnt know how to ride without the handle even though thats the best wake I've ever had behind my boat.

My normal board that we ride with is a Hyperlight Broadcast

djhuff
07-18-2008, 10:51 AM
I got a Hyperlite Landlock, the old style that they don't make anymore. Now I think it's just the broadcast and another board that looks like a door.

That old Landlock, anyone can surf on it, big, small, medium. I just cut the fins down in the back so it will break loose, but it'll float anyone.

norris laker
07-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey Lenny,

Do your friend and yourself a favor by getting a surf specific rope. If you fall while surfing, there is a good chance of a body part going through the wakeboard handle which could lead to a serious injury. Sorry about being preachy but I've heard of too many people needlessly getting hurt by an inappropriate rope while surfing. There are usually three types of surf ropes (small handle, knotted end, or small tee handle). Never wrap or loop the rope around your hand. When you are ready to throw the rope, throw it to the opposite side of the wake.

c_craig
07-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Yep. That no stretch wake board line could do some damage. We just got our Blue Lake at Action Water Sports (Michigan MC dealer). We've ridden the CWB and it is very nice. We also have a HL Braodcast which I find is easy to get up on, but hard to do much with. Have not tried the Blue Lake yet, but can't wait for next weekend!

BriEOD
06-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Well, finally got around to messing around with this. I have a 205 DD and we put one 500 lbs bag at the back, and one 350 lbs bag in the walk through. Additionally, we have 2 180-200 lb guys sit on the back pad with their feet on the teak. Than dial in 8.5 mph on the PP. We are getting a good wake and some long, rope free, rides. It's fun, but I hate the fat sacks--pump up--pump down.

Here is a shot from a BB.

Also, how are you guys getting up. I get in a wakeboard stance, sort of, with my heels on the board. I have the boat put in gear and than go--upon "go boat" I push the edge down with my heels and ride it up. The reason I ask is, I have some guys that are having a miserable time trying to get up. Any tips?

shepherd
06-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Also, how are you guys getting up. I get in a wakeboard stance, sort of, with my heels on the board. I have the boat put in gear and than go--upon "go boat" I push the edge down with my heels and ride it up. The reason I ask is, I have some guys that are having a miserable time trying to get up. Any tips?

I'm a rank beginner, but that's what I did first time trying it under the guidance of some experts. It seemed easy to me. :confused:
I think the key is where you put your heels/feet on the board before you go.

BriEOD
06-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Yep, me too Jim.

Part of the problem is some of these guys are just plain new to watersports. Just thought I'd ask if anyone knew a better way.

kgrove
06-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Board selection is a mixture of rider weight, rider skill, and wave size. Big rider + small wave + low skill means you need a bigger board, especially if you have any hope of free surfing. Good riders can get away with a smaller board because they are so much more efficient with their turns they don't waste wave energy. I can put a pretty good wave behind my boat, but my talent level is mediocre at best and I weigh 210#. I have a Blue Lake and can free surf, but lose the wave frequently due to mistakes (e.g., sloppy turn). I've had 130# riders with much less talent - same board same wave - that almost had to try to lose the wave. I've also had guys nearly my weight but much more talent use my skimboard and they had a blast. When I tried it, I could do great until I dropped the rope, but even a hint of a sloppy turn and I'd lose the wave immediately.

If you're just starting, my recommendation would be to get a larger board and work your way up. Also, don't get too fascinated with dropping the rope. Keep it in your hand and practice doing turns and tricks with slack in the rope, but that way when you get sloppy, you can give yourself a boost rather than lose the wave and start over. That way you'll spend more time practicing turns rather than practicing getting up.

BriEOD
06-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Thx for the tips!

sand2snow22
06-04-2009, 10:26 PM
I would put the 350# sac on the port side of the boat, closest to the back. If your boat isn't under water put the two guys on that side, too. This should clean up your wave. Try speeding up to 9.5-10.5 MPH. I have the v-drive, same hull, we run at 10 MPH.....

BriEOD
06-05-2009, 08:19 PM
I would put the 350# sac on the port side of the boat, closest to the back.

Tried this without much success.

Ben
06-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Did you ever get a surf wake figured out on the 205?

BriEOD
06-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Yep, did this:

500 lbs across the back
500 lbs down the port side of the engine box
350 lbs in the walk through
2-3 guys sitting on the sun deck with their feet on the platform

8.5 mph on the PerfectPass...

Perfect!

SkiDog
06-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Yep, did this:

500 lbs across the back
500 lbs down the port side of the engine box
350 lbs in the walk through
2-3 guys sitting on the sun deck with their feet on the platform

8.5 mph on the PerfectPass...

Perfect!

Do I see an X2 in your future?:D

BriEOD
06-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Do I see an X2 in your future?:D

Not anytime soon. But, I certainly wouldn't mind having one like yours. On the other hand, not having a boat payment is pretty sweet!!:cool: