PDA

View Full Version : Cellphone Fell into the water

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 06:40 PM
The other nite just after dark, as we were at the dock my boat capside :eek3: fish'n rods / tackle box and gear etc. even the outboard motor went under ... worse of all my Cellphone died as it too went to the bottom. :(

My friend found it, but it was completly toast.

Anyone else ever drop their cellphn in the lake?

rodltg2
07-08-2008, 06:41 PM
yes i did, but i didnt call it a drowning :confused:

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 06:45 PM
How's that for a title?

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 06:56 PM
dude babymama dipped the nose on my 209 awhile back and killed my treo!!!!!

it dried out and works now but i lost all my numbers!!!!

so i feel ur pain!!!!

Sodar
07-08-2008, 07:05 PM
How's that for a title?

Pretty Crappy.

ttu
07-08-2008, 07:08 PM
did on friday 4th of july.

we were getting out of the boat at the dock and whoops, there it went to the bottom.

went by sprint and they wanted 300.00 for a replacement.:mad:

Aric'sX15
07-08-2008, 07:09 PM
yeah, actually i just broke my razr two days ago! had it in the jetski and it got soaked. so i took it apart and let it dry in the sun for two days, and now it works. When i say works, i can send and receive calls, and text message. also it wont charge.

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Pretty Crappy.
Well, if you can come up w/ something better :rolleyes:
Let's have it ...

Sodar
07-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Well, if you can come up w/ something better :rolleyes:
Let's have it ...

There, done.

I do not think titles or posts need to be in abbreviations.. they give the point across much better if they are just written in plain english.

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks ...

SkiDog
07-08-2008, 07:33 PM
The other nite just after dark, as we were at the dock my boat capside :eek3: fish'n rods / tackle box and gear etc. even the outboard motor went under ... worse of all my Cellphone died as it too went to the bottom. :(

You're supposed to be nimble on your feet! how the hell did you capsize your jonboat?!:confused::confused::

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I am but it's was pitch dark and I was sitting down at the time of the incident.

ttu
07-08-2008, 07:54 PM
just got off the phone with sprint and griped that i had been with them 10 years. ended up getting a replacment phone for $50.00:D

TMCNo1
07-08-2008, 07:57 PM
You're supposed to be nimble on your feet! how the hell did you capsize your jonboat?!:confused::confused::

Stoned????????????????:rolleyes:

suedv
07-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Stoned????????????????:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly :D

ttu
07-08-2008, 08:18 PM
foot, got your pm's and tried to reply but your messaging is full.

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 08:27 PM
hngon .. clean'n out pm -
ok send on

JohnnyB
07-08-2008, 08:33 PM
If you haven't tried to power it up yet, you may be able to dry it out.

My Blackberry took a swim in a creek with me in Mid February (yes, very cold as I went through up to my waist). I put it in one of my soaked boots and put it on a boot dryer overnight...fired it up the next day and it worked for another 1.5 years.

You might leave it in your car in the Florida heat for a few days and see if it dries out.

ski_king
07-08-2008, 08:45 PM
I have heard if remove the battery asap, put it key side down and let it drain.

Then put a towel on a cookie sheet, put the phone on the towel, key side down set the oven about 150 f ,put it on the top rack and let it bake overnight. (150 f isnt much hotter than a closed car in the sun)

You can also bake a batch of choclate chip cookies at the same time....;)

A friend took a dump out of a canoe with a digital camera, ipod and cell phone. All 3 were saved by this method. (except for some dirt inside the lens of the camera)

JohnnyB
07-08-2008, 08:53 PM
A friend took a dump out of a canoe with a digital camera, ipod and cell phone. All 3 were saved by this method. (except for some dirt inside the lens of the camera)

Guess its better than taking a dump in the canoe :D

6ballsisall
07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Laurel Lake in Kentucky has a Blackberry of mine somewhere near one of the docks. The lake we use to live on in Indiana has a cell phone of mine as well in it.

Ask Erk, he's the KING of losing cell phones in all kinds of crazy places/ways

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 09:43 PM
just got off the phone with sprint and griped that i had been with them 10 years. ended up getting a replacment phone for $50.00:D
Mine just arrived, going to transfer SIM Card at Sprint in the morning.

M-Funf
07-08-2008, 10:50 PM
I've dropped two Moto's in the lake. Pulled them out, pulled the battery, cracked the case open to dry. One pulled out, the other didn't survive.

I've also dropped tow car keys into murky waters. Luckily we found them. The remote even worked after it dried out :D

Oh, and I lost one other Moto cell phone when my boss called me off hours (one of the very early motorola flip phones, I think it was around 1995-96?) I dropped it in my mug of beer and it was never the same again :rolleyes:

erkoehler
07-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Dropped more phones in the lake than I can count......ask Jrandol about my cell phone stories!

shepherd
07-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Skied with my RAZR in my pocket once. Dried it out and it worked for another 2 years. I just replaced it last month.

shepherd
07-08-2008, 11:17 PM
the outboard motor went under ... worse of all my Cellphone died as it too went to the bottom. :(

I would think the "worse of all" part would be having the outboard go under... :confused:

Prostar in Michigain
07-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Ive done it numerous times first you have to put it in the oven at like 200 degrees for like an hour then take the battery off and put the phone in a zip lock bag with uncooked rice in it and mine works fine now.

Lennyp04
07-09-2008, 12:01 AM
UNCOOKED RICE... Not that ive ever needed to ( which I havent) but I heard that the rice takes the moisture out and then you could cook the rice in celebration!

SunCoast 83
07-09-2008, 03:37 AM

Oh yeah!...one summer (a few back) I did in two phones at the trailer ramp. One with my MC and another while trying to load up a broken down Sea Doo. (not on the same day) New rule: "The Cell Phone Stays in the Car".:o

mitch
07-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Mine just went into the lake 2 weeks ago- buzzed stumble off my dock- took the batt out and sat it in front of a hair dry on my basement floor for 2 hours, moving it every 20 mins or so. works perfect, and I zero hope for recovery

captain planet
07-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Two weeks ago we got caught out in a really hard rain and my phone got wet. I took it and hung it in front of the air conditioning vent in my car while driving for two days and it dried out fine. It is still working properly today (knock on wood).

uawaterskier
07-09-2008, 08:57 AM
well funny story...me and a buddy were at the beach and mine went swimming in a hot tube. I then had the brillant idea to hold it over the eye of the stove. The phone of course melted, but that SOB worked after that.

DISCLAIMER: LARGE AMOUNT OF ALCOHOL WAS CONSUMED PRIOR TO ATTEMPTING THIS

wakeX2wake
07-09-2008, 10:11 AM
friend of mine on his first ride this yr had his in his pocket... he made a good set though... got up phone vibrating in his pocket so he threw the phone into the boat then proceeded to land his heelside hero signature backroll and tantrum... it was a cingular go phone w/ a SIM card... that thing was a trooper... took the battery out immediately and placed on water heater over night and it's been kicking every since

aremsing
07-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Does being over served and jumping in the lake with my phone in my pocket count?

Roonie's
07-09-2008, 10:15 AM
I have my cell phone fall in or get wet 3 times now launching my boat. I am usually wearing cargo shorts and the pocket gets wet. Now I make sure to take it out before I go near the launch.

All three times the phone dryed out and worked normally. Same phone went through the washing machine 3 times as well and worked great after drying out except the last time. It is finally dead after the third trip through the washing machine just last week. Time to test a new phone.

wakeX2wake
07-09-2008, 10:16 AM
I have my cell phone fall in or get wet 3 times now launching my boat. I am usually wearing cargo shorts and the pocket gets wet. Now I make sure to take it out before I go near the launch.

All three times the phone dryed out and worked normally. Same phone went through the washing machine 3 times as well and worked great after drying out except the last time. It is finally dead after the third trip through the washing machine just last week. Time to test a new phone.

ABSOLUTELY:D

Plymouth Family Guy
07-09-2008, 01:55 PM
I soaked my Motorola Q last summer when I left it in my pocket. I pulled the battery and dried it out over two days using a hair dryer and a fan. The phone worked OK but it wouldn't sync with my office so I couldn't get e-mails, calendar, etc. Went to Verizon and got a new one which only cost me $200 and a new two year contract. Now the phone goes in the glove box of the boat before we leave the house.

chudson
07-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Cell Phones work in zip-lock bags too!!! :twocents:

And they float too, well for a while at least!!!