PDA

View Full Version : ALL 2008 MCX's

MYMC
07-08-2008, 05:50 PM
http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=5041&forum=10&category=2

Just released...see your dealer.

vision
07-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks as always for keeping the owners informed.

While I know the answer to this question already, I have to ask. I have 120 hours on our 08 X-star MCX with no visible damage to the rubber hoses. Am I a bad boat owner if I wait until the Fall to replace the SS tubes if there has been no outward damage so far?

MYMC
07-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks as always for keeping the owners informed.

While I know the answer to this question already, I have to ask. I have 120 hours on our 08 X-star MCX with no visible damage to the rubber hoses. Am I a bad boat owner if I wait until the Fall to replace the SS tubes if there has been no outward damage so far?

I would replace them as soon as convenient. If they have not failed they may never, but why wait? We have had one owner already damage engine harnesses when the hoses failed.

ShamrockIV
07-09-2008, 02:47 PM
good looking out mike!!!!!!!

Sodar
07-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Mike, for the sake of redundancy, this is just for 2008 MCX's, correct?

The statement I highlighted made me second guess my better judgement.

SUBJECT: Stainless Steel Exhaust Elbows with Restricted Water Flow
MODEL(S): All 2008 MasterCraft Models with MCX Engines
IMPORTANT: This Service Bulletin supercedes SB2008-3MC, issued by Indmar Engines and dated April 23, 2008.
CONDITION:
It has been determined that some of the 3-1/2-inch stainless steel exhaust elbows used on the 2008 MasterCraft boats equipped with MCX engines may not distribute water evenly on the inside of the exhaust hose. This could result in excessive heat transfer to the exhaust hose, which could burn through the exhaust hose. It is not possible to tell by way of visual inspection whether an elbow is subject to this failure; therefore, Indmar is requiring that ALL the elbows be replaced--including the elbows that were replaced under the SB2008-3MC service bulletin issued by Indmar in April 2008.
Any and all stainless steel elbows for the MCX application that were received before June 9, 2008--including any on the shelf--must be returned immediately to whomever they were purchased.
(NOTE: Good elbows will have an “8” stamped in them)

MYMC
07-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Mike, for the sake of redundancy, this is just for 2008 MCX's, correct?

The statement I highlighted made me second guess my better judgement.

By that date this would be all 2008's...

MC X-15
07-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Where Is This Elbow So I Can See If Mine Has An 8 Stamped On It??

MC X-15
07-09-2008, 05:56 PM
And where do u find this info??

jsnipes
07-09-2008, 06:25 PM
There is a thread on this on this site...I had read it before taking mine out for the first time so I was looking out for the problem. Thanks to the forum for this!

It happened to me within the first 4 hours of having the boat. I smelled "burning rubber" smell on first trip out as soon as engine reached temp and I had never smelled this with previous new MC's, including an '06 MCX. Finally it burned through. My dealer worked with MC and replaced both elbows and no issue since ... including no burnt rubber smell.

I think you you have the problem you'll know within the first 10 hours or so, but I would have mine replaced anyway (problem or not) if I had an '08.

JS

JohnE
07-09-2008, 10:55 PM
I would replace them as soon as convenient. If they have not failed they may never, but why wait? We have had one owner already damage engine harnesses when the hoses failed.

Poor Bastard......He should have got an LY6.

MYMC
07-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Where Is This Elbow So I Can See If Mine Has An 8 Stamped On It??

And where do u find this info??

The elbow is attached to the exhaust manifold after the cats...you cannot miss it and unless the recall was done yesterday you do not have the "8" stamped in the elbows.

Follow the link in my first post and it will tell you everything. Call you dealer and schedule the time to get this fixed.

ShamrockIV
07-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Poor Bastard......He should have got an LY6.

we can't all roll like u john!!! u can't hide money!!!!!!!! ;)

MC X-15
07-10-2008, 12:34 PM
THANK MYMC, called my dealer and they dont seem to know about it yet, but I will persue and get it taken care, thanks again for the heads up, my boats has about 20 hrs on it and I havent noticed anythign but ill get it fixed either way

vision
07-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Yeah, it was a tough decision.

MCX for a few thousand less, and 6 gph with the Fly High ballast system filled and the correct prop from OJ. Or the LY6 for a few thousand more and 10 gph with full ballast but stronger hole shot and better top end.

At 150 hrs/year and $4.00/gal gas, that is $3600 in gas for the MCX or $6000 in gas for the LY6. Saving $2400 a year and dumping less carbon into the environment and less money pouring into the coffers of the oil producing nations with the MCX.

Some how the decision became clear.

JohnE
07-11-2008, 09:08 AM

Nah, I'm stuck with the MCX....