PDA

View Full Version : Banana George Video

chudson
07-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Got this from the BFC forum, it sparked some nasty comments between a couple of posters, what do you think?

http://growingbolder.com/media/Sports/Extreme/Banana-Battles-Back-137386.html

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Those posters must of been from BFC because there not from GB Website.

I've personally known Banana for years, spoke w/ one of his neighbor's yesterday.
Going to look at these posts.

flipper
07-08-2008, 06:16 PM
WOW.....that guy is crazy....I love it!!! I didn't know he was still at it

silverblueBP
07-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Saw George at Cypress Gardens in the eighties while I was there for a barefoot endurance competition. What a great guy and still able to do what he loves, albeit just a short time.
I sure hope I can still ski / road race at that age (if I make it)

Can't see why anyone would have a problem with him getting back on the water (except his wife:rolleyes:)

Jerseydave
07-08-2008, 06:39 PM
That barefoot sling scares me.............could have snapped his neck on that fall.

I give him alot of credit for trying though.

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 06:58 PM
If taught properly the EZ - Chair is a safe learning tool, numbers of BF Instructors use it to teach students daily w/ great success.

Unfortunately, George's run wasn't such the case.
The water conditions we're crap and IMHO he shouldn't of footed that day.

SkiDog
07-08-2008, 08:30 PM
If taught properly the EZ - Chair is a safe learning tool, numbers of BF Instructors use it to teach students daily w/ great success.

I TOTALLY agree with Foot over on the other forum! It was a STUPID thing to do, from his wanting to do it, to the driver that pulled him! The man is a LEGEND! Why take a chance like that, especially just for the sake of obtaining another record and to be on TV? I know he loves what he does, but there comes a time when its just too risky. NOBODY will ever accomplish what he has, so don't kill yourself trying it just one more time! After seeing that crash, I consider him VERY lucky, and I'd bet the farm that he was as sore from that fall as he's ever been from any other fall he's taken, including breaking his back!

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Try telling THAT to George :rolleyes:

coz
07-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Very cool :cool:

Jorski
07-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Well, he didn't look fit enough to walk down to the boat, they basically carried him.

According to Foot, on the BC site, banana george is struggling with his mental capacity also at this age. Honestly, I cringed watching it; just plain dangerous.:confused:

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Before you start to criticze :banana: Banana :banana: George,
you'd have to know both he and his true love of the sport re: Barefoot Watersking

JohnnyB
07-08-2008, 09:36 PM
If you can't be passionate about something, why go on living. Obviously, being passionate about life and doing the things he loves got him to 93 years old.

Everybody dies...not everybody lives.

I've got a ton of respect for the guy....he's got a big set of stones for an old man.

JohnnyB
07-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I hope to die doing something fun and/or crazy, not just sitting in a bed or a chair somewhere waiting to die....maybe that'll be me going out forward at 95 years old, breaking my neck and killing me instantly...or, being smothered by a couple of naked 20 year old swimsuit models.......I could think of much worse ways to go.

atlfootr
07-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Either way would work for me 8p
Did you ever send that mail to George?

SkiDog
07-08-2008, 11:24 PM
I NEVER questioned his love for life nor his love for the sport. I just thought it was a dumb thing to do after seeing his physical health.

Gonzo
07-09-2008, 01:20 AM
I hope i have his kahones when I am his age, but am intelligent enough to stay in the boat. I have to go with Skidog on this one, especailly the driver. I mean George is and always has seemed passionate about the sport, but to pull a man that can barely walk to the dock on choppy water... thats just stupid.

tex
07-09-2008, 07:09 AM
When my leg was all tore up....my wife and friends were able to keep me off the water. Hard to ski when nobody will drive the boat for you!

Jorski
07-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Before you start to criticze Banana George,

Not criticizing him...Lane Bowers should have exercised more judgement, IMHO

Muttley
07-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Not criticizing him...Lane Bowers should have exercised more judgement, IMHO

Then he would have got someone else, who might not have been as safety concious. Although he might have waited for better conditions, hes 93!

How many of us (if any) will make it to that age? If that passion is the only thing keeping him alive, more power to him. The minute he has to give it up, I would bet he gives up on living. I'm quite sure he's aware of the risks.

chudson
07-09-2008, 11:53 AM
All I have to say is more power to you George in what ever you do, you have earned the right. My Dad water skied and snow skied up to the last year he was alive and I wouldn't ever have tried to stop him!!! "DO IT"

edit: As long as it's you wanting to do it!!!

flipper
07-09-2008, 12:03 PM

I agree. I think it's great that he gave it a try, but the water didn't look that great for him.

Jorski
07-09-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't think the water conditions mattered. He couldn't even walk on land, never mind walk on water.

Regardless of how "great" we think it is, it was very dangerous. Most importantly, those that know him well, suggest that he is not of sound mind any more, so he can't really make this decision.

Just because, "he would have found someone else", doesn't make it the right thing to do.

ShamrockIV
07-09-2008, 12:12 PM
man u can't take this guys passion from him!!

that would be like making ski dog quit looking at women!!!!!!!!!!

flipper
07-09-2008, 12:14 PM

:uglyhamme

AGREED

Jorski
07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
I certainly don't want to stop skidawg from looking at women!:D

That being said, if you listen closely to the video, Lane Bowers says, and this is a direct quote:

"Even though I've had every one of his doctors and family members call me and tell me that this is a bad idea..."
But what do his family and his doctors know, more important to get the local news team down for a video shoot.

BIGBADBLUE
07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
I can see both sides, but at the end of the day George made the decision. He lived his whole life this way. I am hoping I can stand at his age.

jbfootin
07-09-2008, 01:50 PM
I respect his drive and passion....I too can think of worse ways to go....

but that looked like as good of an ideal as putting Muhammad Ali back in the ring now because he loved to box..it was painful to watch

:twocents:

captain planet
07-09-2008, 02:51 PM
I as well can see both sides, but you have to admire his passion. I cringed when I saw that fall. Heck, my neck hurt just watching it.

Hollywood
07-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Just because, "he would have found someone else", doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I've never met the man and probably never will. Even if I were his best friend, no way I would have pulled him *** grass or cash.

Barefoot57
07-09-2008, 03:35 PM
You have to really know George to understand how being on the water charges him up. While he needs considerable help to even get down to the lake, into his wetsuit, then into the boat, and finally into the water; the brief time he is able to get on skis or his feet turn him young again. I am sure he didn't like the fall on the sling anymore than any of us liked watching it, however, I know why he wanted to be on the water. You can't neccesarily fault Lane for pulling him either. The people that spend time with George understand that there is a huge risk with getting him on the water, but at the same time know that this is what George wants. If this is how it happens, it is how George would want it and on his terms. While George's health has deteriorated quickly over the past few years, he is still enthused about the sport of barefooting and promoting water skiing. You can't fault any one for being so passionate.
Some may not agree with what George is doing at his age and the people that are helping him "do it," however most of those people probably won't be around at the age he is to understand how George feels. He is truly a legend an inspiration. I know there will never be someone that can fully walk in the shoes that Banana has in his lifetime, or give back to the sport like he has in so many ways.

George, keep "doing it!"

Jorski
07-10-2008, 11:07 AM
You have to really know George to understand how being on the water charges him up.

So, by the same logic, you would let an 80 year old former boxer get in the ring ??

The people that spend time with George understand that there is a huge risk with getting him on the water, but at the same time know that this is what George wants.

Sure seems that "Footer" on the Barefoot Central site knows him, and quite clearly disagrees with you. I would also assume that his family members and his doctors know him also, and they disagree with you.

George would want it and on his terms. While George's health has deteriorated quickly over the past few years, he is still enthused about the sport of barefooting and promoting water skiing. You can't fault any one for being so passionate.

No one is faulting BG...they think that Lane Bowers should have exercised better judgement.

Finally, putting George in the swing is, frankly, a sad statement. He quite clearly could still take a dangerous fall (that was evident on the video), and he wasn't doing anything that resembles barefooting. May as well sit down on the grass and spray his feet with a garden hose.

Hollywood
07-10-2008, 11:24 AM
May as well sit down on the grass and spray his feet with a garden hose.

Am I going to hell for laughing at this???

SkiDog
07-10-2008, 12:02 PM

You gots THAT right! But I STILL wouldn't have driven the boat for B.G. that day!

Muttley
07-10-2008, 12:47 PM
I suppose it boils down to quality of life. If Banana George were to give it up, I would think that he would die. What's the difference? He either dies doing something he loves or passes away broken and depressed because he's officially "too old".

Making it to 93 is an accomplishment on it's own. If I ever get to that age, I would imagine anything I do would be on borrowed time. If I couldn't enjoy my life's passion, I'd rather just pass on.

I rememeber my grandfather telling me at 86 that he was ready to die, and if it weren't for his "damn cats, he'd do himself in". I think George's plan is to die living. More power to him. If you were his doctor and took away his lifestyle, how would you feel if he died a week later? You might have killed him trying to save him from himself.

As for the 80 year old boxer, yes, I would let him in the ring if it meant that much to him. Of course whoever he was up against would be instructed to lose... hence the swing.

As for Lane Bowers... I'd rather a friend do it and be there than hire a stranger who didn't care.

I understand that people want to protect him. He's such a beloved figure that will be missed when he's gone. I don't mean to be morbid, but he will be gone someday much sooner than later as he's already well beyond the average lifespan. Let him enjoy his last years. He knows the risks.

jbfootin
07-10-2008, 12:57 PM

If so, I will be with you:rolleyes:

Jorski
07-10-2008, 12:59 PM

Yes...we both are!!!;)

Hollywood
07-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Let him enjoy his last years. He knows the risks.

Did that really look enjoyable to you? Some are saying he does NOT know the risks anymore.

jbfootin
07-10-2008, 01:04 PM
As for the 80 year old boxer, yes, I would let him in the ring if it meant that much to him. Of course whoever he was up against would be instructed to lose... hence the swing.

True. I was giving the Ali refrence to show that this is a bad ideal, and actually your comment made me realize that what BG is doing is worse! As anyone in watersports knows, the water and the boat is not a forgiving sparing partner!:(

SkiDog
07-10-2008, 01:33 PM
True. I was giving the Ali refrence to show that this is a bad ideal, and actually your comment made me realize that what BG is doing is worse! As anyone in watersports knows, the water and the boat is not a forgiving sparing partner!:(

At least there's ONE footer on here thats got some sense!:D:D:D

atlfootr
07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Hey Ski Dog,

Not all of us footr's carry a great deal of sense anymore, specially after fall'n at speeds of 45mph or greater ..

Gonzo
07-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Yes...we both are!!!;)

Nah, should be ok, but in heaven you dont get a waterfront lot.:D

SkiDog
07-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Hey Ski Dog,

Not all of us footr's carry a great deal of sense anymore, specially after fall'n at speeds of 45mph or greater ..

Truer words have NEVER been spoken!8p:D

JohnnyB
07-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Either way would work for me 8p
Did you ever send that mail to George?

Waiting to get it back.....

atlfootr
11-07-2010, 03:45 PM
http://gb.fs.boldernet.net/0/0/155/155899-90.jpg (http://growingbolder.com/155871)

Posted 11:06 am
June 12th, 2008

Incredible!

I mean what else can you say, about 'Banana George'.
I've had the pleasure of knowing him for over 10 year's and his still as amazing today as he was then.

http://growingbolder.com/media/sports/extreme/meet-banana-george-blair-1575.html?fr=ot1157fs3713pi360sbv966d#content_tabs