PDA

View Full Version : Dead Power...

sanjuan23
07-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Need a little help here. The 205 died this weekend on the lake :mad: Started up just fine and died figured it just had not warmed up yet as I was waiting for the wife and kid to get the truck parked. Went to start it back up and had absolutely nothing. Nothing at the gages, nothing when I turned the key etc. Started tracing the problem back from the battery then to the solenoid. Battery was reading 12.98 volts, the power inside of the solenoid was reading 12.98 but when I tried to read the output side to the ignition and to the starter I had nothing. I am assuming that this is the culprit but not entirely sure as the dealer did not have a solenoid on hand. Any Ideas?

Footin
07-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Did you check the safety lanyard and the main break on the engine?

sanjuan23
07-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Yup! I would not think the lanyard would take away all power at the dash, just the inability to start the motor... Correct me if I am wrong though. Checked the main reset is there a breaker that I am not aware of?

bturner2
07-08-2008, 04:18 PM
I posted something pretty close to your problem last weekend. Anything on the same circuit as the "key on" position would not work (including the radio). The interior lights worked which tipped me off. I found the problem on mine to be the circuit breaker on the engine. Don't know what tripped it but I reset it and it's been fine for the 10 hours I put on it over my vacation last week. If you haven't checked the breaker it's worth a try.

east tx skier
07-08-2008, 09:17 PM
What about your ignition. I had some problems with my new boat when I first got it that turned about to be a loose wire on the back of the ignition.

sanjuan23
07-08-2008, 09:42 PM
East I did check all of that my "guess" was that there was no way a loose ignition wire would explain the complete lack of power at the dash or on the starter side of the solenoid. TXMC has a solenoid on order for me hopefully be here soon, I am removing the battery tomorrow to go have it load tested, removed the ground tonight and cleaned all of it's connection the next measure I guess will be the starter, but my thought is that wouldn't help the lack of power at the dash.

SteveO
07-08-2008, 10:22 PM
John, Must be time for an upgrade. I know of a nice 97 for sale and a few 07's. Sorry to hear about your troubles. That will surely leave a bad taste on the 4th weekend. Hope you salvaged it.

sanjuan23
07-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah already talked about that particular 97 but someone is dead set on a V-Drive and Brian and I are talking at the moment. I am just freaking about having that expensive of a mistress.... But I am just about ready to say "Oh Well" Just to let you know it's the one you demo'd..... yeah we salvaged it on Egl. Mtn on my friends dad's 44' Silverton.

SteveO
07-08-2008, 10:43 PM
All White?

sanjuan23
07-08-2008, 11:16 PM
And hopefully... "by 3:45 I' be King of da house"

sertmaverick
07-21-2008, 10:48 AM
SanJuan-
This is my exact problem too. I have check lots of grounds and wires for a short (as that's what everyone has told me the probable problem would be) and have found nothing out of whack. Yesterday it happend twice again...aaaarrrrgggg. So far I've been able to reset the master 50 amp fuse and get back rolling again in a few minutes. However what I have noticed is that the master fuse won't reset for 2-3 min. It seems as though this might be my problem. I'm going to the dealer today to buy a new master fuse and try this $40 fix first. Starting small and will go from there. What I have noticed is that if were running under power and I start using the blower, stereo, or some other accessory (doesn't matter which one and usually only one) the problem starts. The boat voltage begins to drop slightly and then within a few seconds the boat just shuts down and looses all power. It doesn't happen all the time, just once in a while and usually right when I'm pulling a skier or boarder....I was leaning towards the voltage reg. (which is built in to the alt.) but I was told that would be unlikely. Let me know if you track down your problem and I'll do the same. Sounds like there similar. Email directly if you want at bretbarnum@earthlink.net. Take care - Bret 99' Maristar 210VRS

Thumbs
09-15-2009, 07:30 AM
I managed to short a couple of wires doing my heater install and tripped the main breaker by the battery. I reset it and everything seemed fine until I got to the water (of course). The gauges were not working and the engine would crank but not fire. Having spent time under the dash, I assumed I had knocked something loose or fried a fuse somewhere. Now I know - when someone, like my brother, disconnects the safety lanyard it causes a loss of power to the fuel pump (cranks but no fuel) and gauges. Hope this saves someone a bit of stress. :-)