PDA

View Full Version : Ironwood Ranch

GailH
07-08-2008, 01:16 PM
The new lake at Ironwood Ranch (Arvin, CA) has been built to accomodate wakeboarding, too. Is wakeboarding taking over??

flipper
07-08-2008, 01:24 PM
I don't think water skiing is going to go unheard of, but wake boarding is getting more and more common.

Dan K
07-08-2008, 01:33 PM
I think both will coexist for a long time. I have two teenage daughters, one prefers to ski the other wakeboards.

Tap
07-08-2008, 01:36 PM
If we are to use kneeboarding as a example, we all still have kneeboards but we don't use them as much. Another analogy would the 'snowboarder vs free skier' on the slopes. Compromises will be made in both cases.

SkiDog
07-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Unfortunately, Tubing is probably the fastest growing water sport these days! Just look at all the tubing and tow-ables being manufactured these days.

wakeX2wake
07-08-2008, 01:44 PM
i like skiing it's just that after i got on a course rec skiing lost its punch for me personally and i don't have ready access to a course or a place to float one so i just wakeboard now... it's just something different to work on... if you're out on the water a huge tantrum into the flats gets a lot more attention than dropping the elbow and hip in the water on a ripped slalom turn too (although those who are out who know do give respect)

not to mention a wakeboat with a tower and all the gear people are going to gravitate toward the flashy aspect of the sport too... the people who are really into their respective sports are about the same to me... while skiers may be a little classier the individuals who are up on their game are cool laid back people who are a little crazy at the end of the day

thijs
07-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Snow skiing has certainly never gone the way of the Do-do, but in fact has gotten more popular with the evolution of twin-tips and park riding. (Not that the park skiers have very good form, but d@^n can they throw sweet air). I think that there is going to development with free wake skiing which will coexist with the slalom aspect.
There is just too much involvement in professional slalom to see it disapear, but
the average wally probably wont but a slalom ski as often.

TMCNo1
07-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Unfortunately, Tubing is probably the fastest growing water sport these days! Just look at all the tubing and tow-ables being manufactured these days.

I'd rather do a little toobing at the Bunny Ranch myself! The tricks are just about endless!

Prostar Rich
07-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Interesting question. My wife and I prefer to ski over wake boarding but I am old school. My kids prefer wake boarding. With the boat manufactures producing many models of wake board specific boats I would venture to say that wake boarding is here to stay. I just hope that MC doesn't kill off the prostar 190 since they probably don't sell many any more. In addition, I do believe that the sport of wake boarding is still evolving.

Prostar Rich

ProTour X9
07-08-2008, 03:42 PM
I just hope that MC doesn't kill off the prostar 190 since they probably don't sell many any more.

Prostar Rich

They had to have made at least 10 this year thanks to the Nightmare and Anniversary boats. Our next boat, which will most likely be smaller, will be a 190, I'd like my own first boat to be a 190 too. Up here in the north country we prefer closed bows on ski boats, its warmer, and has more storage, and looks cooler.

ski_king
07-08-2008, 08:52 PM
I think wakeboarding is becoming popular as you can learn quicker than alalom or trick sking. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of talanted wakeboarders out there I am in ahh of, but I believe it is easier for most to become a decent wakeboarder than it is a decent slalom or trick skier.

Which waterski company had the t-shirt that said, If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding ?

Gonzo
07-09-2008, 10:48 AM
WB is taking over, but skiing will always linger around. I think it has to do with the speed and spray... Lets face it, if you do it right Slalom looks Cool. Folks like us that ski courses recreationally are a dying breed just because public lake courses get so torn up you dont even want to invest in them.

CarlosCabanas
07-09-2008, 12:23 PM
I heard... and correct me if I'm wrong, that snowboarding actually saved most of the ski hills from financial problems therefore indirectly saving alpine skiing. I think the same is happening in watersports. There is a renewed interest in water sports in general thanks to wakeboarding. I still prefer my monza, but that's cause I'm a better skier than boarder! It's always more fun when you're better at something!

Carlos

pepi
07-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Being not terribly good at either skiing or wakeboarding but having done both, I think I prefer skiing as a participant and a spectator. While some of the tricks the wakeboarders do are phenomenal, there's something almost artistic about a series of well executed turns made by a good skier. A Hoochie Glide (no idea what that is, but found it on a WB website) may be spectacular, but can't compare to a shimmering wall of water against a sunset.....IMHO of course...

SkiDog
07-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I'd rather do a little toobing at the Bunny Ranch myself! The tricks are just about endless!

Trouble is, your ticker ain't what it used to be there pal! They would hammer you!

TMCNo1
07-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Trouble is, your ticker ain't what it used to be there pal! They would hammer you!

But what a way to go!:cool::rolleyes::D

loeweb
07-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Skiing will never die. It has slowed down tremendously, but as previously mentioned the speed and spray will keep it interesting. With wakeboarding you have to have teh glass calm waters to have a good set like you do when skiing. I personally think that skiing will/ is making a small comeback, but it will never be as popular as wakeboarding.

ProTour X9
07-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Which waterski company had the t-shirt that said, If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding ?

I give up, but I'd love one of those shirts.:cool:

jmac197
07-10-2008, 09:09 PM
D3 waterskis has the shirt.

http://www.d3skis.com/

http://www.d3skis.com/products/access_outerwear.htm

JohnE
07-11-2008, 08:30 AM
I' agree with ski king. Boarding is easier to do initially. I can barely board, but have taught at least a dozen people to do it in the past year. None of them would have been able to learn to slalom. Plus you can board all day, where after a few sets of slalom you are wiped out. Couple that with the fact that taking 10 people out is great for riding, but for slalom you don't want more than 2 with you and it's easy to see that boarding will always dominate.

But I don't think skiing will disappear and I do think it is on a bit of a comeback.