PDA

View Full Version : Silencer/muffler

james_lloyd
07-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi guys,
Ater recently rebuilding my 1994 prostar 190 indmar engine due to water getting eveywhere that it should not! I realised that one of the silencer/mufflers was blocked.
I removed the problem muffler to find that a piece of the muffler had actually broke off and was stuck in the end of the muffler.
After spending stupid amounts of money rebuilding the engine you can imagine how angry i was to find the problem be something so simple.
Water not escape - back fills into engine!

Having now spent my entire budget and as i live in the UK and my mastercraft dealer tell me these silencer/muffler cost 230 plus V.A.T i have decided to try and remove the broken parts and try it anyway.

So i have cut the muffler in half and removed the broken pieces, and have now put muffler back together with some glass fibre etc.

I will be testing the boat out at the weekend!!

Do theses silencers/mufflers just muffle the sound or do they do something else also? Dont really want to test the boat if i could end up damaging something else!!!

Thanks

Gonzo
07-08-2008, 02:03 PM
I have a 91 190 with a silentmaster cross flow muffler, i just reglassed portions of mine with no trouble, I have since found another crack and plan to do that one as well. best I can tell they simply wash the water around in the chamber before it makes its way out, thus taking some of the force and noise out of the exhaust.

james_lloyd
07-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the reply. That sounds just like mine as mine is also a silent master muffler. Basically if you look down the end that points to the back of the boat you can see a vertical tube (3") and behind that is a plastic/glass fibre plate preventing water flowing straight out of the muffler but guiding it into a chamber at the bottom and then flowing through the vertical tube finally exiting to the back of the boat.
Sorry if that sounds confusing but i cant think of another way to describe it without drawing a picture.

Basically that vertical tube and plate both broke off wedging in the end of the silent master and blocking it off altogether. So i removed broken parts and just glassed it back together so it is more or less straight through.

Gonzo
07-08-2008, 04:15 PM
I have some pics of steps I took to reglass mine, at home... it will be late tonight before I can post though, late tonight for me you could be having breakfast :)

Gonzo
07-08-2008, 05:30 PM
got to it faster then I thought. I think you have the inline mufflers not the cross flow like mine from your description, but this will show you what I did. First I had to chip away JB weld the PO had on there and then sand then I did the Glass (per instructions on the resin bottle) and painted. Word of advice, if you have one like this and have to pull it like I did, go ahead and redo all the joints... I cracked another one on the same side coming from the manifold when I put it back in. I will glass that one while it is still on the boat though since I dont have to deal with chiping away JB weld.

It was an easy job.

TMCNo1
07-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Listen to him guys, he's the "Muffler Guru" and did a nice job!

james_lloyd
07-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks Gonzo! Must say it looks like you have done an awesome job on that muffler. Yeah mine are seperate and not the crossflow like yours.
My glassing does not look as nice as yours at the moment. Going to try it out first to see if its working ok then i'm going to sand it down and paint it.
Thanks for all your help!!:)

Gonzo
07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
No Problemo, just paying it forward... I didnt think of all that myself :)

Keep on this board and you can learn a TON about these boats, folks here are awesome and since your not French everyone will speak to you ;);)