PDA

View Full Version : Delphi MEFI-4 What can you tell me?

georgea0731
07-08-2008, 01:23 AM
I had these MEFI-4 replaced by X-MC dealer. They said it was bad, but a company who sells these said less than 1% go bad and just needs to be reformated. Anyone know of a company to reformat it? Once formated, it can be reprogrammed to work with a specific boat. I'm thinking of reformating and selling it on TMC. A new one at the dealer is over $1,000. So I figure its worth something if someone can use it after its reformated and reprogramed.

Anyone have any experience with them? What do you think about it? What should I do with it? What's a fair price since there's no guarantee it will work?

JimN
07-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Indmar can check it out. Maybe EngineNut can add more info. Why did they say it needed to be replaced? If it's component failure, it's toast and re-formatting won't fix it.

Harley-Davidson uses the same controllers on their bikes and you might call to see if they can look at it, as long as their techs are well trained.

bigmac
07-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Harley-Davidson uses the same controllers on their bikes and you might call to see if they can look at it, as long as their techs are well trained.
The programming on those things is usually pretty proprietary and not user-programmable. Harley Davidson, however, does have an option for user-programming called Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner. It's a single-EFI device that allows for re-mapping the sensor. Whether or not it would re-map it to be suitable for an Indmar, I don't know, but I do suspect that these modules are protected, so I'm skeptical that an HD SERT would even be able to get into an Indmar-programmed MEFI to re-flash it.

Engine Nut will have the answer, but my guess is that the old unit has no value unless you're correct - that there are no bad MEFI's, just bad programming (I suspect that's not true) and Indmar provides some kind of core-charge reimbursement.

JimN
07-08-2008, 10:25 AM
If the ECM that was replaced is actually good and can be reprogrammed, the dealer that replaced it is apparently not aware that it could have been sent in. If it could have been reprogrammed, it should have been. In this case, I would go after the ex-MC dealer for selling parts that weren't necessary.

"The programming on those things is usually pretty proprietary and not user-programmable"?

I was an MC tech- I know this but when a diagnostic computer is connected to reprogram, it doesn't ask for a password or anything like that. AFAIK, dealers don't have a troubleshooting/testing program, which is why I mentioned sending it to Indmar.

Thrall
07-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Some controllers have component failure and then they're no good. My MEFI II controller had the fuel pump driver(s) short out when the engine got good and heat soaked.
Nothing that could be done except to replace it with a re built (or re-formatted?) one. Sent it to Indmar to diagnose this.