PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy HELP!!!!!

FHMan1905
07-07-2008, 11:37 PM
any home remedies or fast cure alls for poison ivy....must have gotten in some brush today with poison ivy....my legs are covered...going for a cortizone shot in the morning but was going to double up on the treatment...thanks

KnoxX2
07-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Baking soda and water will dry it out.........
Leah helped my little girl out with this about 2 weeks ago....

FHMan1905
07-08-2008, 12:02 AM
just mix it up into like a paste?

KnoxX2
07-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Yep ---- Then put it on and let it dry. Do this 2x a day.... Hope this helps!!!!

djhuff
07-08-2008, 08:16 AM
If you are getting a shot, ask the doc for some cream too. I have a pretty strong HCL cream that I put on when I get it, dries it out in a few days.

If you are real prone to get it, drink goat's milk regularly, it will make you immune to it. Goat's eat poison ivy for food, so there is an enzyme in their milk that makes their young immune to it, and it works on humans too.

I was told by my landscaper, one month of a cup a day, then a cup or so every few weeks after that will make it so you can roll around in it and not break out.

TX.X-30 fan
07-08-2008, 08:22 AM
If you are highly allergic to the stuff good luck. My wife had it for a month all over from exposure to the oil on my cloths from doing laundry. Shot , Zpack nothing worked.

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 08:24 AM
dang i wish i could help but i am not allergic to it!! i can roll in it all day!! funny cause my dad can get like within 10feet and his country butt will have it bad!!!! lol

MC X-15
07-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Try Technu, you can buy it at CVS, they say just apply it to the affected area but I find if you put in on a washcloth and scrub alittle, not too hard just enough to sooth the itching it works wonders.

BrianM
07-08-2008, 09:07 AM
One thing that I have read that works well for itch relief is to run as hot a water as you can stand over it for a few minutes. This has worked really well to relieve the itch when I have had it but I have only had it in very small areas on my hand and wrist.

bigmac
07-08-2008, 09:27 AM
If you are real prone to get it, drink goat's milk regularly, it will make you immune to it. Goat's eat poison ivy for food, so there is an enzyme in their milk that makes their young immune to it, and it works on humans too.

I was told by my landscaper, one month of a cup a day, then a cup or so every few weeks after that will make it so you can roll around in it and not break out.

No offense, but that doesn't even begin to make sense.

Bellinghamster
07-08-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm highly susceptible to it and found the surest cure is Prednisone, available only by prescription from a doc. I've done shots and pills, both cure it quickly. Not very nice stuff, but it was the only thing that works for me, and worth it if you're got a really bad case.

watkins27
07-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Dude your going to think am crazy but try some rhubarb,take it and put just the stalk in a blender, then soak the juice in a paper towel(its ok if some of the rhubarb is still on there to).Then let it set on the bad area.IT works for me

dmayer84
07-08-2008, 10:48 AM
I usually rip open where I get the poison ivy and pour rubbing alcohol on it. It does sting a bunch but it gets rid of it quickly.

djhuff
07-08-2008, 10:56 AM

eh, no offense taken, but it's worked for several people I know who worked in it on a regular basis.

bigmac
07-08-2008, 11:15 AM
eh, no offense taken, but it's worked for several people I know who worked in it on a regular basis.The mind is a powerful thing.

JimN
07-08-2008, 11:20 AM
I was told, by a botanist, that if there's no reaction to poison ivy, it's because the person who was exposed hasn't reached their tolerance limit. Repeated exposure will eventually cause a reaction and the irritant's effect is cumulative. Some people are obviously sensitive to it for one reason or another but one contact won't necessarily cause a problem.

bigmac
07-08-2008, 11:41 AM
I was told, by a botanist, that if there's no reaction to poison ivy, it's because the person who was exposed hasn't reached their tolerance limit. Repeated exposure will eventually cause a reaction and the irritant's effect is cumulative. Some people are obviously sensitive to it for one reason or another but one contact won't necessarily cause a problem.

About 70% of people are sensitive to poison ivy, but it's a hard number to pin down - difficult to tell whether a given person is actually immune to the sap, or if they just haven't had enough exposure to it to be sensitized. Nevertheless, there are some people who just aren't allergic to the stuff.

JimN
07-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Anyone know the ratios of people with no/mild/moderate/severe allergies who are not/mildly/moderately/severely reactive to poison ivy? AFAIK, I have never had a reaction to it and I've camped, hiked, played and worked near it all of my life. Never known to have an allergic reaction to anything, other than waking up with dry, crusty eyes when I would wake up with an old roommate's kitten sleeping across my throat (gee, ya think?).

ski_king
07-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Slight threadjack......

I know a lady who was given 2 baby goats. She kept them in her fenced in yard and bottle fed them.
In the process of feeding them she let them lick her face since they were so cute.........
What she didn't know was they were also eating the posion ivy along the fence in her back yard.

She went from a beauty to looking like something out of a zombie movie within a day.

WilliM1940
07-08-2008, 12:37 PM
My home cure, spend a day at the ocean playing and soaking in salt water. Softens the skin, pops the blisters, gets rid of 90 percent of it and dries the rest. Have fun at the same time.

JimN
07-08-2008, 12:44 PM
What does that do to your blood pressure?

SkiDog
07-08-2008, 12:51 PM
My home cure, spend a day at the ocean playing and soaking in salt water. Softens the skin, pops the blisters, gets rid of 90 percent of it and dries the rest. Have fun at the same time.

I was gonna say the same thing. Salt water from the ocean is just about a cure all!

JimN
07-08-2008, 01:12 PM
"Salt water from the ocean is just about a cure all!"

Unless it has sharks in it, or box jellyfish. Or Red Tide (the micro-organisms, not the Communists).

milkmania
07-08-2008, 01:37 PM
highly allergic to poison ivy here....
when I was a kid, I got into it climbing trees

I believe I ended up losing 4 or 5 fingernails from it.
I now use two different products from the same manufacturer.... TEC LABS http://www.1800itching.com/

Calagel (http://www.poisonoakandivy.com/calagel.html) & Tecnu (http://www.google.com/search?q=tecnu&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

Calagel is an antihistamine gel for once the rash has started
Tecnu is to wash with (before rash) thoroughly once you've been exposed to the poison ivy oils.
Tecnu was developed in 1961 during the Cold Wars by chemical engineer Dr. Robert Smith as an effective waterless cleanser capable of removing radioactive dust from skin & clothing. His wife accidentally discovered that Tecnu would cleanse poison ivy plant oils after exposure to poison ivy or oak."Urushiol", the poison plants oils will lock onto skin cells within 20 minutes after exposure. Can be transfered from contaminated clothes, pets and tools.

I use the Tecnu to wash my arms and legs if I've been weedeating anywhere near poison ivy.

Also, you do not want to burn the poison ivy and risk breathing the smoke.....
bad things will happen :twocents:

FHMan1905
07-08-2008, 02:21 PM
got a steriod shot this morning a steroid pack and antibiotics so it doesnt get infected i work for a utility so i highjacked some calagel this morning and some other stuff the public cant buy hopefully gone in a couple of days

FHMan1905
07-08-2008, 02:51 PM
i am going to do what my mom used to do to my dad pop al the blisters and use some alcohol burns like you know what but works fast

TMCNo1
07-08-2008, 03:03 PM
I am highly allergic to poison oak/ivy. I get a reaction even if some in the neighorhood burns it in the summer. I have a standing prescription with my doctor and pharmacy for a Prednizone Dose pack when I get it and it still takes as much as 4 weeks to get rid of it. I also use a Cortizone type cream to slow the itching.

Slinkyredfoot
07-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Gunpowder and vinegar mixed together in a paste and apply to the infected area, just do not get to close to a fire.....

jraben8
07-08-2008, 04:30 PM
I was gonna say the same thing. Salt water from the ocean is just about a cure all!

Too bad his location shows Kentucky...

Kevin&Annie
07-08-2008, 04:31 PM
My internship was as a park ranger and I got into poison ivy all the time! The best thing I found was to wash the area with cold water and antibacterial soap. Warm water opens the pores in your skin and can cause it to spread.

FHMan1905
07-08-2008, 11:40 PM
still struggling with the poison ivy...got my shot picking up my steroid pack in the morning....i hate this stuff....hopefully by the weekend it will be dried up...thanks for the advice everyone

rholmes
07-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Not allergic here, but what limbs have been affected? Are those limbs necessary? Hacksaw, bonesaw.... just kidding :uglyhamme. Hope you recover quickly. Like someone said previously, be glad you did not inhale the smoke from someone burning it, things could be a whole lot worse then, like having an amp that goes to 11!

Lennyp04
07-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Ever have poison between your toes? It sucks when you have a blister the size of the circumfrence of a dime by about 6-7 dimes put head to head thick. I popped the blister and it went away!

JimN
07-09-2008, 05:15 AM
An amp that goes to 11 is almost enough. They need to have a control called "More".

The controls on my amp go to 12.

djhuff
07-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Remember also that you can't spread it by scratching it. It only appears to spread since other areas show up later, it's just related to how much of the poison got on that area, and the thickness of the skin as to how long it takes to show up. The risk you run by scratching is scarring/infection.

JimN
07-09-2008, 09:58 AM
So, sandblasting is a bad idea?

djhuff
07-09-2008, 10:38 AM
As long as you clean with a good antibacterial soap, I don't see why not!!!

FHMan1905
07-09-2008, 11:42 AM
i popped all the blisters last night and soaked it in alcohol got my predizone this morning and an antibiotic to prevent infection drying up already a hacksaw was looking real good yesterday just wont be as tall

TMCNo1
07-09-2008, 12:08 PM
i popped all the blisters last night and soaked it in alcohol got my predizone this morning and an antibiotic to prevent infection drying up already a hacksaw was looking real good yesterday just wont be as tall

Just don't let it get to your privates or you'll have other problem, so stay away from a hacksaw! I'm serious, cause I've had it everywhere, and it isn't fun, especially if you sweat a bunch! :eek::rolleyes::D

FHMan1905
07-09-2008, 01:35 PM
yeah it is all on my ankles i finally figured out how i got it but it is drying up pretty good my aunt is highly allergic and she said it will probably be gone by friday from the looks

SkiDog
07-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Just don't let it get to your privates or you'll have other problem, so stay away from a hacksaw! I'm serious, cause I've had it everywhere, and it isn't fun, especially if you sweat a bunch! :eek::rolleyes::D

I too, have had this crap EVERYWHERE! And I mean EVERYWHERE! Even the eyelids!

FHMan1905
07-09-2008, 06:40 PM
luckily it staying way south of the border if you know what i mean....just got home and took a good look at it and it is pretty much dried up just red places....and the prednizone is working on it now so hopefully be gone this weekend

atlfootr
07-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Pictures of rashes

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/rashes.html

Cure alls
http://www.lisashea.com/birding/poisonivy/

TX.X-30 fan
07-10-2008, 08:06 PM

I laughed so hard I'm crying. :D

atlfootr
07-10-2008, 08:16 PM
But it is so flipp'n funny
:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

TX.X-30 fan
07-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Funny thread well I mean if your not itching. The hot water spreading thing not going to happen. Where the blister show up on your bod is where the oil touched you or you touched yourself originally. No cross transfer of the stuff days later. When you work in an area with the stuff, wash off. Some will get the stuff anyway as my wife is sorely aware of. She had no physical contact but put my stuff in the wash right after I finished. Everywhere the oil on my shirt and jeans touched her she broke out. Some of the minor areas took weeks to bloom.

I wrap my cloths in a towel now and load the wash myself. She was covered and I got one long stripe across my arm, good stuff though I can faintly see the slash 4 mo. later.

JimN
07-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey atlfootr- thanks for the link. That I looked at just after dinner.

atlfootr
07-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Welcm bud, anytyme

JimN
07-10-2008, 08:32 PM
http://www.clipartof.com/details/emoticon/2202.html

FHMan1905
07-10-2008, 09:07 PM
mine is all cleared up...well dried up still have the little red bumps but nothing major...no more blisters or anything like that....so i am good to go...got my new boat today by the way...

TX.X-30 fan
07-10-2008, 09:11 PM
mine is all cleared up...well dried up still have the little red bumps but nothing major...no more blisters or anything like that....so i am good to go...got my new boat today by the way...

bigmac
07-10-2008, 11:07 PM
http://www.clipartof.com/details/emoticon/2202.html

Love it!

http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/1218_sick_smiley_scratching_and_itching_chicken_po x.gif

FHMan1905
07-10-2008, 11:32 PM
haha...that is a great one...well i can laugh now i am not itching anymore