PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Ignition & Ballast Resistor???

kingu
07-07-2008, 05:18 PM
I tried to install the e-ignition this weekend and had a little trouble. I followed the "how to" by BriEOD (good one btw) but mine was a little more complicated. I completely bypassed the ballast resistor, which was aparently wrong...so I need a little guidance.

TMCNo1, you said here:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22700&page=2

"You just don't do away with the ballast resistor, you move the distributor side purple wire and place it on the other end where the purple wire attaches to the ballast resistor, thereby bypassiung the ballast resistor for the distributor to get a full 12v source, not the reduced voltage of 8 for the points."

I don't have a purple wire to the resistor, I have 2 orange on one side (from the solenoid to the left side of the resistor, and from the left side of the resistor to the coil +). On the other side I have 2 pink wires (from the electronic choke to the right side of the resistor, and I'm not sure where the other side ends up).

I have more pics if needed. Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian

Dan K
07-07-2008, 05:28 PM
From the looks of it somebody rewired your engine. The wires do not normally have all the curls in it yours does. My gues would be to put all the wires on one side of the ballast resistor as TMC 1 suggested. Essentially you no longer need the ballast resistance and are merely bypassing it by joining all the wires together on one screw.

TMCNo1
07-07-2008, 05:57 PM
I tried to install the e-ignition this weekend and had a little trouble. I followed the "how to" by BriEOD (good one btw) but mine was a little more complicated. I completely bypassed the ballast resistor, which was aparently wrong...so I need a little guidance.

TMCNo1, you said here:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22700&page=2

"You just don't do away with the ballast resistor, you move the distributor side purple wire and place it on the other end where the purple wire attaches to the ballast resistor, thereby bypassiung the ballast resistor for the distributor to get a full 12v source, not the reduced voltage of 8 for the points."

I don't have a purple wire to the resistor, I have 2 orange on one side (from the solenoid to the left side of the resistor, and from the left side of the resistor to the coil +). On the other side I have 2 pink wires (from the electronic choke to the right side of the resistor, and I'm not sure where the other side ends up).

I have more pics if needed. Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian

Sorry, Sorry,Sorry, this is be a boo boo on my behalf for trying to use my memory.
I have 2 purples on the 12v side of the ballast resistor and on the 8v side, I have only a orange coming off of it. We ran a seperate red jumper from the 2 purple wire12v post on the ballast resistor to the + side of the coil, not the distributor, thereby bypassing the ballast resistor, according to what I see and from my mechanic who helped me set it up.

I'm am so sorry!

TMCNo1
07-07-2008, 06:05 PM
From the looks of it somebody rewired your engine. The wires do not normally have all the curls in it yours does. My gues would be to put all the wires on one side of the ballast resistor as TMC 1 suggested. Essentially you no longer need the ballast resistance and are merely bypassing it by joining all the wires together on one screw.

All the factory wiring that goes to the engine from the loom to the dash on mine is curled like that and it is a PIA, It was made that way for the wires to be uncoiled just enough to reach their destination and keep out the slack out of the wiring on the different engine options, like the 350 & 454 Chev. so only one harness would have to be manufactured for all engines.

Hunterb
07-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Kingu,

If it helps, you should be able to do away with that orange wire that comes from the solenoid. It's purpose was to provide 12 volts to the distributor when you were cranking, and only when you were cranking. Now that you've bypassed the resistor because you no longer need it, because its only purpose was to prolong the life of your points, I would just take it out. One less wire to worry about.

Bruce

kingu
07-07-2008, 09:23 PM
No problem TMC...don't be so hard on yourself :cool: I appreciate the help.

Thanks to Dan and Bruce also. I appreciate the input.

I'll give it another shot this weekend. I hope I have enough info for the install, but when it comes to engines I'm about as useless as Rosie O'Donnell's rape whistle.