PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Water in Bilge

wsrobert
07-07-2008, 01:18 PM
This past weekend I was getting excessive water in my bilge. Funny thing is that it was only a problem pulling slow (10-12 mph). As the speed increased, it became less and less. I pulled the engine cover off and did notice a little pin-hole allowing seapage on the side near the shaft seal. I'm hoping that isn't a leak in the hull. The shaft seal appeared fine (1 drip every couple of seconds). Neither seemed as though they could produce the volume of water I was seeing that quickly. At high speeds (30+ mph) the bilge would stay almost completely dry. Here's what I've done so far:
-On trailer, filled up bilge with water and checked for leaks (found slight drip from raw water intake). I've pulled it off and am going to reseal with 3M 5200. If that pin-hole was the issue, wouldn't I have seen it dripping out of the bottom at some point?
-Ran boat with fake a lake and exhaust appeared to be good.

I'm just running out of suggestions...any ideas???

Gonzo
07-07-2008, 01:39 PM
At low speeds like that the transom sits lower in the water. I have leak in the rear of my boat that I think is the rub rail, but I am not taking on an "excessive amount" My carpet on that corner just stays damp.

454Prostar190
07-07-2008, 02:00 PM
At low speeds like that the transom sits lower in the water. I have leak in the rear of my boat that I think is the rub rail, but I am not taking on an "excessive amount" My carpet on that corner just stays damp.

Same story here. I found a leak in the rub rail from when the previous owner had apparently pulled the boat out of the water and the guide on the trailer hit the rub rail. I siliconed the bottom of the rail and this past weekend it stayed dry:) Finally!!!

TMCNo1
07-07-2008, 02:47 PM
This past weekend I was getting excessive water in my bilge. Funny thing is that it was only a problem pulling slow (10-12 mph). As the speed increased, it became less and less. I pulled the engine cover off and did notice a little pin-hole allowing seapage on the side near the shaft seal. I'm hoping that isn't a leak in the hull. The shaft seal appeared fine (1 drip every couple of seconds). Neither seemed as though they could produce the volume of water I was seeing that quickly. At high speeds (30+ mph) the bilge would stay almost completely dry. Here's what I've done so far:
-On trailer, filled up bilge with water and checked for leaks (found slight drip from raw water intake). I've pulled it off and am going to reseal with 3M 5200. If that pin-hole was the issue, wouldn't I have seen it dripping out of the bottom at some point?
-Ran boat with fake a lake and exhaust appeared to be good.

I'm just running out of suggestions...any ideas???

Are you refering to the flexible rubber tube between the hose clamps next to the thru hull fitting and the hose clamps at the brass jambnut, cap nut where the stuffing is? If there is a hole in it, the shaft will have to be pulled out enough, the shaft coupling removed from the end of the shaft to change out the entire flexible rubber tube.

wsrobert
07-07-2008, 05:35 PM
No...Sorry, I actually worded that bad. The pin hole leak appears to be in the bilge itself. It looks as though there is a metal plate along the bottom and the fiberglass is formed around it. This is where the pin-hole is. I'll try to get some pics this evening.

As for the rubrail, mine doesn't get below the water line as I'm running.

Gonzo
07-07-2008, 09:47 PM
As for the rubrail, mine doesn't get below the water line as I'm running.

I doubt its the rub rail too, your describing too much water for that to be it. Rub rail leaks when running at low speeds though and the spray come up under the rail. I knew it would do it on my old I/O but was just informed the other day by No 1 that MCs will leak there too if not sealed right... just something to keep in mind.

jmac197
07-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I had a similar problem. I was only taking on water while we were underway. Wound up that one of the kids left the shower on. Even though the pump wasn't on, the pressure was pushing the water through.

NeilM
07-08-2008, 12:57 AM
ws, This problem drove me absolutely nuts. I was picking up LOTS of water in the bilge while pulling wakesurfers. On my MariStar 210, the outlet for the bilge is under water(!) while pulling wakesurfers. There is no check valve in the bilge line (ABYC says they could potentially restrict the flow of the bilge pump), so water pours into the bilge through the bilge pump outlet. I had all of my seals checked, I had the dealer install a dripless propshaft seal, I filled the whole bilge with water, I checked all of the rubrails, everything.. Then, one time while I was waksurfing behind the boat, I noticed that all three fittings (two for the ballast, one for the bilge) were underwater...
Now when we wakesurf, I stick a cork in the bilge pump outlet. Problem solved.

wsrobert
07-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks...that does give me some thoughts of things to check. Only thing is my bilge discharge is up towards the front. Actually right beside the captain's seat. I don't believe it's under water, but I'll check. I don't have ballasts or a shower. But thinking of that there may be some other things that are under that I wasn't aware. Thanks for the lead....

gigem75
07-08-2008, 11:18 AM
A friends boat takes on water like mad when going slow. There is a break in the seal between the top and hull, You can see it pouring in down the inside of the boat on the port side up under the dash.

Muttley
07-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Okay, I don't want to sound stupid, but I just had a leak myself. I tore the boat apart. Removed the seat, lifted the floor panel, went over it on a mission.

I finally found it was THE SHOWER. The little ball valve on the platic shower head had quite working. When the motor was running, the water circulated enough that it would leak out the shower head even without the pump on.

Sometimes a $3 part will drive you nutz.

wsrobert
07-08-2008, 12:48 PM
gigem75....what did your friend have to do? That sounds major. I hope that's not the case here.

bigmac
07-08-2008, 12:58 PM
gigem75....what did your friend have to do? That sounds major. I hope that's not the case here.
The upper deck sits over the hull sort of like a lid on a shoebox. That groove is siliconed, the upper deck positioned, then the rub rail with ss screws driven through to hold the rub rail metal piece on AND secure the upper deck to the hull, followed by the rubber insert hammered into the rub rail. Leaking under the rub rail is not uncommon, especially in older boats. Flexing and age can result in the need to re-silicone the joint. Good temporary fix is to run a silicone bead along the edges of the metal rub rail. Better ultimate fix is to remove the rub rail altogether and run a generous bead of silicone into the now-exposed shoebox joint, then reinstall the rub rail over some silicone.

flipper
07-08-2008, 01:27 PM
I did mine a couple years ago, not that big of a deal at all. My boat was riveted together, and I replaced all of the rivets with stainless screws and nylon lock nuts. There are quicker and easier ways to go, but I don't think any of them will last as long.

wsrobert
07-08-2008, 02:34 PM
I actually just had my boat re-painted this past winter and installed new rub rail at the time. My only concern is that I don't think the rail line is below the water. I may be wrong and i'll watch it next time I go out and try it. I may run a bead of silicone all the way aroun underneath the rub rail. Thanks again!!!

rholmes
07-08-2008, 03:29 PM
We have the same boat (yours is a 240, mine is a 210), the rub rail is not below the water ever. That is interesting what you said about the metal plate on the hull bottom looking like it was splitting. Mine is doing the same kind of think. It is almost like the plate was laid down, fiberglassed over, and the edges are starting to crack from flexing. When I was just changing my tranny seals and cleaning the bilge, I noticed the same thing kind of. Whenever I would hose the stern with water at it would fill up higher than the shallow v and then start to drain, I could see hazy water seeping from along the crack. It isn't leaking from the outside, but it seems to have a slight void under the plate that allow some water to get trapped and then slowly leak. The only potential points for water entry are the rudder, shaft and platform. What motor do you have (the 351)? I would check the silent master exhaust water drain that you undo for winterization. Mine had a worn out rubber washer and was letting some water in, definitely enough that it would fill the bilge up after 20 min of riding if I am throttled up.

jseawach
07-08-2008, 04:11 PM
I have an older prostar 190 and am experiencing leaking that is getting worse. The boat takes on a LOT of water whether wakeboarding or when tied to the dock. I do use a ballast bag so stern sits low, bilge pump outlet is forward. I have sealed and riveted the top cap to hull, packed and verified minimal leakage at rudder and shaft. I think the only place the water can be coming from is the exhaust system. I'm very interested in the prior writer's "silent master exhaust water drain" or any other info available on systems/parts desigened to keep water from entering the bilge from the thru-hull exhaust. Any suggestions?

Muttley
07-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I really can't see it being the rubrail. I'm not saying it's impossible, but unless you've hit something and cracked the fiberglas, I don't think it would let that much water in.

Okay, so to recap you have...

Checked the shower to make sure it's not on or leaking
Checked all the hose connections, at the intake, tranny cooler, impeller, block
Checked the impeller cover
Checked the petcocks in the block to make sure they're not open
Checked the shower connection at the splitter, pump & head
Checked the shower hose for crackes
Checked the Silentmaster drain
Checked the rudder & stuffing boxes.
Made sure it wasn't the ballast leaking

Do you have a heater? Have you checked the heater core & hoses?

rholmes
07-08-2008, 10:50 PM
I attached a pic of my exhaust. On the bottom lined up with where the white sticker is is a plastic plug that has about four to five threads on it. It is slotted down its length and has a rubber washer on it. It is designed to not screw in tight enough that you would accidently strip the threads of the exhaust. My rubber washer was worn out and I had to get a new thicker one that would allow it to snug up and not drip water. Hope this helps.

WSROBERT, mine has a similar "leak" on the hull between the shaft and the bottom exhaust hose, where the fiberglass layer is visible. I can run my finger along it and barely feel the metal edge of a plate and can visually see a very slight separation. Is this where your pin hole leak is located?

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/1990%20Maristar/100_2989.jpg

ULMboarder
07-09-2008, 01:04 AM
mine is a 79 and i take on water at low speeds also. i have completely gutted the back end of the boat, takin it to the water and ran it to try to find it. wound up bein the rubber exhaust tubes right before it exits the boat, and the rub rail was leakin on the passenger side of the boat. it wasnt under water either but the spray litterally goes right up the side of the boat into the bottom of the rub rail.

i just put a bigger bilge pump and battery in it as a temp fix till i can tear it apart this winter.

wsrobert
07-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Muttley, I've done all of those things that apply to mine. I've even run the boat in the water with the engine cover off and couldn't see any water leaking from the exhaust or the water pumps.
Rholmes, mine is very similar except I don't have that crossover manifold on the exhaust. Basically my two exhausts go out separate. I put the boat on the trailer and ran it with a flush to see if the exhaust was leaking. I can't see any water coming from the exhaust.
As for the pin-hole, that is exactly where i'm talking about. The metal looks to be some type of brass and definitely appears to be separating. Funny thing is that it seems like such a small amount of water coming through that it would be unnoticable. I filled my bilge with water and left it on the trailer and the only water I could see was coming from my raw water intake. I actually think that may have been residual from when I ran the flush. Anyway, I've pulled that off and am going to re-seal it.
Thanks again for everyone's input.

wsrobert
08-20-2008, 04:12 PM
I owe all of you guys an apology...I said early on that my rub rail doesn't get below the water line. Well, it doesn't, but when running very slow speeds, the water does rush up the sides. Then I found about a 1/2" gap between the top and bottom of the hull. I sealed that off and 'poof' no more water. After looking at the gap, I'm surprised I wasn't getting more water. I guess I should believe you guys better...

Thanks a million, problem solved.

gguppy
09-14-2008, 09:04 AM
There is water in the bilge area plus the ski locker and the water looks slimy,glue looking and one more thing when driving the boat slow and turning i notice a sound from the rear of the boat( tak tak tak sound ) ?

wsrobert
09-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Your tranny fluid look OK? That's what I think when I hear funny looking water.

I've had those noises before, but mine was simply a coke can that was down in there and the coupling was hitting it. Took me forever to find b/c when I stopped it floated back under the back seat. I had to actually watch it while I was running.

gguppy
09-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Tran fuild ok

wsrobert
09-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Best thing I can say is pull the engine cover and watch close while someone else drives...Hopefully you can key in on the sound.

gguppy
09-18-2008, 07:05 PM
what about all the water in the bilge area.