PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid for Velvet Drive Tranny

jobondur
07-07-2008, 11:29 AM
What type of transmission fluid do you guys use in your velvet drives? I have a 96 with a velvet drive hooked into a walter v-drive. I looked in the service manual and it says to use "10 wt. tractor hydraulic fluid meeting the C-3/TO-2 specification (preferably Mobil 423, Chevron, or Citgo)".

I've called around all over the place and can't find this stuff. I called a local ski boat dealer and they said to just use Dexron 3 automatic transmission fluid. Is that ok to use??

Any help is appreciated.

rholmes
07-07-2008, 11:53 AM
From the Borg Warner manuals : "Citgo has two grades of fluid meeting the C-3/TO-2 specification; Citgo tractor hydraulic fluid, and Citgo multi-purpose
Dexron II - both are acceptable for use."

Dexron II is plain old ATF fluid. All ATF fluids are backwards compatible. So you can use Automatic Tranmission Fluid that has a rating higher than II in the transmission. If you are concernec about getting the right thing, just get the Citgo brand like this: "TRANSGARD® Multi-Purpose ATF

A premium automatic transmission fluid and a practical alternative that meets the performance requirements for DEXRON®-III, DEXRON-IIE, DEXRON-II, DEXRON AND MERCON® Fluids."

Any autozone, etc will carry it.

rholmes
07-07-2008, 11:54 AM
From the Borg Warner manuals : "Citgo has two grades of fluid meeting the C-3/TO-2 specification; Citgo tractor hydraulic fluid, and Citgo multi-purpose
Dexron II - both are acceptable for use."

Dexron II is plain old ATF fluid. All ATF fluids are backwards compatible. So you can use Automatic Tranmission Fluid that has a rating higher than II in the transmission. If you are concernec about getting the right thing, just get the Citgo brand like this: "TRANSGARD® Multi-Purpose ATF

A premium automatic transmission fluid and a practical alternative that meets the performance requirements for DEXRON®-III, DEXRON-IIE, DEXRON-II, DEXRON AND MERCON® Fluids."

Any autozone, etc will carry it.

rholmes
07-07-2008, 11:54 AM
sorry, double post.

jobondur
07-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the explanation rholmes, this is why I love this forum...people actually give explanations instead of you just having to trust that they know what they're talking about (like a lot of mechanics/dealerships). I'm gonna change out the transmission fluid tonight after a quick trip to auto zone.

I've been doing all sorts of google searches for C-3/TO-2 and hadn't found anything.

bigmac
07-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Here's Indmar's current manual for their 1994-2002 power train:

http://indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/Manual1994_2002web.pdf