PDA

View Full Version : Noise Canceling Headphones ???

T Scott
07-07-2008, 07:58 AM
I am considering purcahsing a pair of these for use on airplanes, etc. Does anyone have a brand that they can recommend? I know Bose makes a pair and I am sure they are good, but they are also the most expensive. I am not apposed to spending the money on quality, but wanted to know if anyone has experience with other brands that may work just as well.

Farmer Ted
07-07-2008, 08:15 AM
I am considering purcahsing a pair of these for use on airplanes, etc. Does anyone have a brand that they can recommend? I know Bose makes a pair and I am sure they are good, but they are also the most expensive. I am not apposed to spending the money on quality, but wanted to know if anyone has experience with other brands that may work just as well.

I fly with a pair of the Bose, much nicer than David Clarkes and way easier on the ears.

BIGBADBLUE
07-07-2008, 08:45 AM
I have had the Sony's, bose and a cheaper brand (can not remember) and the Bose are the only way to go. Well worth the extra cash. You will not be dissappointed you spent the extra coin.

bigmac
07-07-2008, 08:55 AM
I fly a fair amount and I've tried the Bose headphones - they work very well, but not so well as to be worth the extreme geekiness of appearance IMHO.

When flying, I either listen to music or watch DVDs on my iPod so I use Shure sound isolating earphones (http://store.shure.com/store/shure/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID.12165600/parentCategoryID.12165500), which IMHO work just as well.

Roonie's
07-07-2008, 09:16 AM
I own the Bose quiet comfot 3 headphones and they work great. Much smaller than the quiet comfort 2 headphones. Funny thing is they give both myself and my wife nausea when we are at home and use them. In the air it is fine however. I use them with my IPOD all the time and the sound quality is awesome.

Here they are.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=qc3_headphones_index

Jim@BAWS
07-07-2008, 09:24 AM

Tom,

I bought a pair last month. (BOSE) The ones that lay on the ear, not the ones that cover them totally. There are FANTASTIC! When watching movies on your laptop you will hear sounds liek you never heard before TRANSFORMERS is a great example. I know they are expensive but I think that they where a good investment

Jim@BAWS

CHaus21
07-07-2008, 01:57 PM
T Scott,

I have a pair of the bose ON THE EAR headphones as well. They work fantastic. I fly a decent bit, but actually bought them for a flight I had to Hawaii last year. They were great.

Yes, definitly pretty expensive... But as we always say on this site... You get what you pay for ... just like Mastercrafts...

Good luck!

stuartmcnair
07-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Bose QC3 are very nice and not so big to have the "geekiness" effect.

bobbyB
07-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Funny thing is they give both myself and my wife nausea when we are at home and use them.

Same thing with me. I feel a little funny when I've got them on while I'm at the desk doing design work. I do some sound engineering on the side for fun, so I decided to pick up a pair of Audio-Technica ones. Cost was around 2 bills. Quality is probably above a pair of Bose, but for most peeps I would think they would do just fine.

Dan K
07-07-2008, 04:46 PM
The following demo shows 6 different models, the comments are worth a read as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQdbcDTiIas&NR=1

BriEOD
07-07-2008, 05:25 PM
I have the ones that cover the ear completely (Bose). Carla got me a pair prior to my trip to Iraq. They held up really well and have great sound quality, etc.

BTW Mr. Frugal, I'm not buying it!! 8p

T Scott
08-31-2008, 08:38 PM
I ended up buying the Bose Comfort 3- On the ear model. I used them not to long ago on a flight from San Francisco and was very impressed. I think I will enjoy them as I fly quite a bit for work. Thanks for all the tips

shepherd
09-01-2008, 09:47 AM
I fly a fair amount and I've tried the Bose headphones - they work very well, but not so well as to be worth the extreme geekiness of appearance IMHO.

It's hard to hit on the stewardesses with those big geek ears, huh?

"Hi, I'm a doctor."
"No, you're a geek. Now buckle that seatbelt." ;)

When flying, I either listen to music or watch DVDs on my iPod so I use Shure sound isolating earphones (http://store.shure.com/store/shure/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID.12165600/parentCategoryID.12165500), which IMHO work just as well.

That's what I use, the "cheap" $100 ones. Works well when flying and riding my bike. But I can't use them when I'm jogging. They are so good at blocking out the outside noise that they seem to amplify the internal noise. My footsteps while running overpower the music "THUMP THUMP THUMP..." Very annoying.