PDA

View Full Version : 79 mastercraft wont start, Please help!!!

michaelh_26
07-05-2008, 07:26 PM
last year my faithful old mastercraft started to die on the lake after heating up. After replacing several unecessary parts, including the carb, i found the problem to be a bad coil, however i never went out on the water since replacing the coil, only ran it in the yard. So this year i went to fire it up and it wont start. It always had starting problems when cold but not since i replaced the points with the electronic ignition kit. Why wont my engine start? i have new plugs, coil, carb, battery, and it doesnt want to start. My old holly carb ran for 25 years without rebuild, could my brand new edelbrock be bad after one use, i hope not. Any help would be great, i hate being stuck at home with my boat in the driveway and not on the lake. ps, my fuel pump is spitting out clean fuel ran from a gas can, so bad gas is not the issue. It will fill up a cup with fuel after cranking for 5 -10 seconds so i think the pump is good.

GregBR549
07-07-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm no expert but I'll give you my 2 cents worth. I like to break it down. For an engine to run, you need fuel, compression, and spark(at the right time). So, the easiest (to me) is to check the spark. I am not sure how your electronic ignition works, but you can just take a spark plug out, hold the threads against some part of the motor, and spin the engine. You MAY be able to take the coil wire off the distributor, and hold it about 1/8" away from the block and spin ( be careful, it can shock the pi$$ out of you). You should get spark, if not, you know you have an ignition problem. Even if you get a spark, you may still have an ignition problem, but it may be timing. You should be able to rent a timing light from autozone. To check your fuel problem, spray some starting fluid in the carb while spinning the motor(be careful again, it can backfire through the carb and start a fire). If it wants to crank with the starting fluid, you probably have a fuel problem. If you want to check compression, you can get a cheap compression checker from somewhere like autozone and check that. Narrow down your problem and come back for more advice.

GregBR549
07-07-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm no expert but I'll give you my 2 cents worth. I like to break it down. For an engine to run, you need fuel, compression, and spark(at the right time). So, the easiest (to me) is to check the spark. I am not sure how your electronic ignition works, but you can just take a spark plug out, hold the threads against some part of the motor, and spin the engine. You MAY be able to take the coil wire off the distributor, and hold it about 1/8" away from the block and spin ( be careful, it can shock the pi$$ out of you). You should get spark, if not, you know you have an ignition problem. Even if you get a spark, you may still have an ignition problem, but it may be timing. You should be able to rent a timing light from autozone. To check your fuel problem, spray some starting fluid in the carb while spinning the motor(be careful again, it can backfire through the carb and start a fire). If it wants to crank with the starting fluid, you probably have a fuel problem. If you want to check compression, you can get a cheap compression checker from somewhere like autozone and check that. Narrow down your problem and come back for more advice.