PDA

View Full Version : Loose Window Lock

boofer
07-04-2008, 12:50 AM
One of the window locks is slowly getting loose. It is not wanting to always stay "locked" when under way. Is there a way to tighten these locks? Thanks.

boofer
07-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Bump. Anyone with any advice?

NeilM
07-08-2008, 01:44 AM
If you get an answer, I want to hear it! I have the same problem. I wrapped & tied some string around the 'axle' of the latch to increase its friction, but it doesn't hold for long. Dealer didn't have any brainy ideas, either.

boofer
07-08-2008, 02:02 AM
I am considering putting a small piece of tape on the other side of the window (to raise the spot where it comes in contact) unless I get a good answer.

Ours has just loosened up and it is not due to any sort of windshield flex or distortion.

If I do not get any help, I might try removing the piece of the window bracket that has the lock on it. If I can get a tool on the inside of the rivet, then I might be able to press/hammer the rivet a little tighter.

utbubbad
07-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Drill out the old rivets and put new ones in. 1) First remove the pc. of window frame. There are two screws that hold this in place. One at the top and one at the bottom. Be careful not to damage the window gasket. 2) Take a 3/16 drill bit and drill the old rivet. Drill on the lock side just enough to remove the top of the rivet. 3) Remove the lock from the rivet and pull old rivet through the backside of the window frame. 4) Install new rivet throught lock and window frame. 5) Put window frame back on the window. Be careful not to damage the gasket around the rivets.
Rivet gun and rivets are available at Lowe's or Home Depot.

boofer
07-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Hello utbubbad. I am in Knoxville. Thanks for the information. I think that is a good fix. But, is it possible to just tighten up the current rivet?

utbubbad
07-11-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't know of a way to tighten rivets. Once the stem of the rivet is pulled through the backside of the rivet mushrooms out. When used on moving parts or parts under tension the mushroom begins to wear. It is a pretty simple project to replace the rivets. You can use my rivet gun if you don't have one.

boofer
07-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Sounds great. I think I might actually have a rivet gun. It might of been my dad's and I need to look for it. I will hit you up if I need to borrow yours. Thanks!