PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Shaft Packing Questing (how far should nut thread on?)

SierraDump
07-03-2008, 06:47 PM
I just repacked my shaft with 3 rings of the gortex shaft stuffing... It was a tight fit to get each ring seated in the nut, but I did one at a time, pushing them all the way to the end.

When I had all three rings packed in the nut, I went to tighten it down onto the housing, and it didn't thread on as far as it may need to???

I got about 4 turns of the nut (maybe 5 threads or so) before it bound up and began to get tight... I figured it probably won't go down as far as it was because previously there was only 1 ring of old nylon packing in there... The other 2 rings are probably keeping it from threading on further???

I NEED TO KNOW IF IT IS DANGEROUS OR BAD to not have the packing nut threaded on very far... Does it provide any alignment/support for the shaft, or is it only there to seal???

If I do need to seal thread on further, should I just remove 1 of my 3 rings of packing to get the extra room? It might thread on more than I have it but I read that it was bad to "torque" that bolt down as it creates heat and friction on the shaft.

Here is a picture of how far I got it threaded on... What do you think?

KHall
07-03-2008, 06:52 PM
It only seals.

east tx skier
07-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Shouldn't the jam nut keep it in place once you tighten it back up as well?

SierraDump
07-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Shouldn't the jam nut keep it in place once you tighten it back up as well?

Correct, the jam nut has it locked tight and it shouldn't come lose, but I just thought it should thread on further than it did.

This guy says he is done and has 3 rings of the gortex packing installed as well - He can't possibly of threaded it on that far with 3 rings???

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/image/77239041

jimmer2880
07-03-2008, 08:02 PM
You should be fine. But, if it were my boat, I'd drop down to 2 pieces of rope. Back when I had a drip style packing, I always wanted to be sure there was enough water flowing through the shaft. I couldn't get 3 rings to drip at all.

SierraDump
07-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Is 2 pieces enough? I know it only had 1 piece in it, but I read all over the place to use 3 pieces...

Will there be significantly more water with 2 pieces vs. 3?

TMCNo1
07-03-2008, 10:17 PM
3 pieces is fine, and as the packing wears and the packing is compressed in the tube between it and the shaft the nut is tightened to keep it tight in there and prevent leaking. It happens the same way when you add packing to a old style brass faucet that has the graphite/rope type packing.

east tx skier
07-03-2008, 11:50 PM
I don't know anything about the gortex other than it doesn't leak much if at all. With traditional flax packing, you should be able to get three to drip with no problems. I think the last time I did mine, it was about $.42 for the length I needed. For something I replace once in a blue moon, not too bad. Just $59.58 left to get that free book. ;)

SierraDump
07-04-2008, 02:55 AM
well I pulled out the 3rd piece and I got another 3 or 4 threads farther down.

I FIRED UP THE MOTOR AND IT RUNS SMOOTH!!! I found out that my water pump leaks a little bit though... a few drops every second... I figure that is acceptable just to go out and finally get the boat in the water! Pictures to come later over the weekend.

jimmer2880
07-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Glad you are getting your boat on the water. Water is too short to be spending all your time working.