PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem

Bill Harrison
07-02-2008, 09:11 PM
I have a 1995 Prostar 190 with an LT1 Corvette engine. 1800 plus hours. Intermittently, with no pattern that I can tell, the starter will not engage. Turn the key and nothing. At the rear right of the engine block there is a cover shielding wire groupings, a reset switch, and a plastic module separating wires going to the starter. It seemed as if I jiggle the wires enough the starter would respond and kick over the engine. I removed the shield and checked for loose connections, rust, and anything that could be loose. I found nothing. Heat does not seem to be the problem. It happens some times first thing in the morning.
Has any one had this experience?
P.S. this has been going on for two years. Happens more this season.

puck_11
07-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Do you hear a click when you turn the key? If so try hitting the starter lightly with a hammer to get the starter to engage, if thats the case you need a new starter. There could also be a starter solenoid issue.

rholmes
07-03-2008, 10:06 AM
I would start with checking the wires that run from the starter to the solenoid and then to the circuit board. It sounds like there is a bad connection in the wires and contacts, a bad solenoid (cheap and easy to replace) or a bad starter. I would guess that if jiggling the circuit board helps, it is going to be a simple fix.

JimN
07-03-2008, 11:17 AM
DO NOT HIT THE STARTER WITH A HAMMER! These have ceramic magnets, which are very brittle.

Most likely, the neutral safety switch is engaging. Jiggle the throttle when you try to start it. If it does start, the throttle cable has stretched and needs to be adjusted or replaced. You can also verify this by taking the cable off of the throttle body and having someone crank it while you wiggle the shift lever on the transmission.

It could be the switch, too.

Bill Harrison
07-03-2008, 10:17 PM
I would start with checking the wires that run from the starter to the solenoid and then to the circuit board. It sounds like there is a bad connection in the wires and contacts, a bad solenoid (cheap and easy to replace) or a bad starter. I would guess that if jiggling the circuit board helps, it is going to be a simple fix.
A dealer told me that the solenoid was built into the starter and if that was the problem one would have to replace the starter????

JimN
07-03-2008, 10:23 PM
It's possible to replace only the solenoid but if the starter is old enough, it's better to rebuild the whole thing because it's cheaper to do the job once than replace one part, install it and have to fix something else later.