PDA

View Full Version : What kind of people are we?

River Rat
08-10-2004, 12:45 PM
What kind of people are we? We know that we all share the interest in water sports, but what other sports do we share? Will we find out that most wake boarders are also surfers or bungee jumpers, or will we see that most slalom skiers are mountain bikers or volleyball players? Do we spend all our free time and money becoming an expert in one sport or do we split it up on several sports?
I for one split mine up. I have 4 kids that range from 8 to 18 we all wake board together as well as camping and deer hunting. I love going camping at a new lake and looking for that perfect spot to ride my board. My latest venture is skydiving. There is nothing like the rush from jumping out a perfectly good airplane 2 miles up.
So with all that said my question is…. do you ski or wakeboard and what other hobbies go with it? Besides boat maintenance!! :)

Knoxes
08-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Right now? Triathlon.

I change hobbies like underwear.

mgurley
08-10-2004, 01:17 PM
Hunting and fishing for me. :toast:

east tx skier
08-10-2004, 01:50 PM
I do more of the water skiing these days than most things. Although I do jog and weight train about 3-4 times a week. I try to snow ski about once or twice per year. I used to play a lot of court volleyball. I golf every now and then. I hunted when I was a kid, but haven't been in a long time. I've surfed once and am still recovering from the beating my ribs and ankles took. I play guitar and some other instruments, and dabble in sound engineering. It's not a sport, but I do a lot of homebrewing in the off season.

bcampbe7
08-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Snowboarding in the winter. Golf when not on the lake. Have recently gotten into golf long drive contests.

BriEOD
08-10-2004, 02:20 PM
In the "off" season we ride ATV's. I've got 2 Honda 4-wheelers and most of my neighbors have some as well. We go hit the trails and see who can go furthest through the mud holes before needing the tow strap (just like little kids!). Also, the 4 wheelers towing the ATV trailer makes for an excellent hayride vehicle on Halloween.

John B
08-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Water ski in one season. Snow ski in the other season.
I only have two seasons. I go from one skison to the next skison.
I do not Wake board or Snow board I JUST SKI.In the summer, from the time I leave my house to the time I have rope in the water is about 15 min. In the winter, from the time I leave my house to the time I'm on a chairlift is about 30 min.I buy a season pass and have a locker at the ski area with three pair of skis in it new each year. I love to ski moguls. The biggest, badest bumps I can find. The skis I will be on next year are:
Slalom Dynastar Omeglass 63 size165.
Gaint slalom Dynastar Speed Course 66 size178 (my go fast skis)
Moguls Dynastar Twister size 182.
My water ski is a O'brien Mapple size 66 Double Contact High Wraps

Farmer Ted
08-10-2004, 08:45 PM
You mean there's stuff to do other than boating......:eek3:

I guess I'll have to start using all the double barrel shot guns I bought in Turkey.

Hopefully I'll be moving into a house I can call my own (or my banks own) this Jan/Feb then I'll be playing Naahm (This Old House)
Found a nice little fixer upper on the lake, Brad said he'd put a dock in once I get the hot tub and pool installed and the back yard terraced.

André
08-10-2004, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure if your joking or not?
Is that really the place your looking to buy? :eek:

I do remember something about a raise lately... :uglyhamme

Nice place!
Living on a lake is really great...Even more if it's not frozen 5 months a year! :D

bret
08-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Ski, keep up the other two family boats, duck hunt, wife - house - 5 yr old. Restoration/performance for myself, friends, and RACE when I have spare time!
mine - 2.5 year 100% restoration
http://www.lindseyracing.com/custpics/cust1b1.jpg
friends
http://www.lindseyracing.com/custpics/lankford3.jpg
Race
http://gallery.rennlist.com/albums/JABRacing/side2.jpg

André
08-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Very nice cars Bret!Ilike the black one,very classy!

bret
08-10-2004, 10:07 PM
Thank you Andre.

Farmer Ted
08-10-2004, 10:46 PM
Andre,

I wish I could afford that house!
I'd probably be able to cover about 1/3 of the garage with my salary. Remember I'm in the military and I've barely got enough money to put midgrade petrol (89) in the boat.

I won't be able to afford a house on the lake, my goal is to get a house in the same town as the lake. Then it would be a 5 min drive to the water versus 15/20.

Dude,

when are you going to post some pictures of yourself tearing it up? Brad and I need something to shoot for! You, Brian, and Doug are being stingy with the role model shots!!!! :banana:

BriEOD
08-10-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm going out tomorrow Tim I'll try and post some photos. I think you should get a shot of JohnB autographed and give it to Brad. He has the best pics!

Farmer Ted
08-10-2004, 11:12 PM
John B rocks! He must have a professional photographer for a best friend. I'm lucky if I can get my daughter to take a picture of something other than the pylon or the little Mastercraft bling bling on my front seat. She's getting better though, the threat of never getting out of the boat and in the water must be working!

JimN
08-10-2004, 11:45 PM
Bret- why dont you take the Porsche in and have Alan tweak it for you?

jimmer2880
08-11-2004, 07:13 AM
I'm with JohnB... Ski - then Ski. My house is 20 min from my river trailer - but during the summer months - we spend typically 12 our of 14 days in the trailer (Yes - I AM trailer Trash! :friday: ). Takes about 5 minutes from door to "goat head" (Go ahead for those non-rednecks on the board).

Snow skiing - I'm a part-time ski instructor at one of the 2 local resorts. I teach 45 min's away, but I ski free at the other also which is only 15 min's away.

:headbang:

MarkP
08-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Jimmer are you at the Whitetail

east tx skier
08-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Tim, if I spent half as much time actually skiing as I spend posting, I might actually be a good role model. As it stands, I'm a good role model if you want to learn how to make ridiculous faces while you ski.

Jimmer, don't worry about the trailer, my father-in-law has had a double-wide on the most beautiful lot for the last 30 years. It's an eyesore, but that doesn't stop me from hitting that place as much as possible during the summer months. If and when he builds a house in its place, my wife and I joke that we won't forget our roots. That is why we plan to take the price tag out of the pantry in the d-wide and hide it somewhere in the new house. Nope, it's not because of the price, it's because the d-wide motto is on the price tag. It reads, "There is nothing in this world that a man can't take, cheapen it a bit, and sell it for less." Amen! Save the cash, buy a ski boat, hit the lake, drip on the floor when you get back.

He's got his priorities straight. Pier, dock, boat house with a lift, house. Glad I got his boat back to him before the boat house got finished.

east tx skier
08-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Oh, and I'd be doing a lot more now skiing if the nearest slopes weren't a 16 hour drive from hear. I recall an old expression, "Had God wanted Texans to ski, he'd have made bull$hit white."

JimN
08-11-2004, 11:57 AM
16 hours to drive, but only a couple of hours to fly there. With a ski/fly package it may be cheaper, too, especially if you consider the lost time(32 hours driving, + stops and recovering from the drive).

east tx skier
08-11-2004, 12:12 PM
I've never driven to ski yet. Flying is an ordeal since we don't have a huge airport here (have to go to DFW to get anything approaching a decent rate). I've been snow skiing for the last 28 years this way. Love it. Just wish it was closer.

jimmer2880
08-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Tx - LOL!

I'm not ashamed of being trailer trash - I say it with pride! Even have the pink flamingoes to proove it.:dance:
What's the use of being Trailer Trash if you don't show it - that's what I say.

Yup - $5k house trailer (bought used), $10k lift dock (that's what I was offered for it after I built it), $16k boat, $4k jeep as daily driver. My priorities are right in line.... :D

Being able to wake up, walk 100 feet, flip switch & go: PRICELESS!

jimmer2880
08-11-2004, 12:39 PM
MarkP - I live with 15 min's of Whitetail.... 45 of Ski Liberty (where I teach). They are both owned by the same company so I ski at WT for free also.

I have no idea why you would - but have you evern skied Whitetail? (considering you'd have to pass Hidden Valley & Seven springs to get there).

phecksel
08-11-2004, 01:14 PM
I attempted to keep both hobbies going, but divorce, run down dump on the lake.... Plane had to go, but I did get the lake front house and '03 197 out of the deal. Unfortunately only have the purchase picture, the boathouse now has a walkway from the deck and railing around everything but the end, new dock, storage shed, which extended the middle deck to the water, hot tub, etc, etc, etc

MarkP
08-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Jimmer

Only one time at Whitetail. Not at all at Hidden valley but a lot at Seven Springs. I keep trying to find the time to ski the Wisp because we own a lot about 10 min from the Wisp. That may just be the push we need to build on it.

jimmer2880
08-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Mark, I have friends who own a place next to the resort (but not on the lake). Is your place on the lake?

We should try to get together there sometime. We typically make at least 1 trip to Wisp before the local resorts open (Usually in Nov-Early Dec)

MarkP
08-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Jimmer

So your friends place is on Marsh Hill ??

The lot that we own is not on the lake but really near the lake, also 10 min to the state park/launch. It is a nice one acre wooded lot in a little development with protective covenants. Cant touch a lot on the lake for less than 3/400 K

Nov/Dev, hell that’s mid water-ski season:D

Leroy
08-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Tim;

I like that little summer fixer-upper, did you hit the lottery. I bet that place has a moving sidewalk to the dock!

lakes Rick
08-11-2004, 11:32 PM
I attempted to keep both hobbies going, but divorce, run down dump on the lake.... Plane had to go, but I did get the lake front house and '03 197 out of the deal. Unfortunately only have the purchase picture, the boathouse now has a walkway from the deck and railing around everything but the end, new dock, storage shed, which extended the middle deck to the water, hot tub, etc, etc, etc

Looks pretty darn nice to me.. Just be smart and don't ever put another woman in the position to take what is yours again... Words of advice from " been there, done that"..... Just "move em in, and move em out when they just can't shut up".... :twocents:

jimmer2880
08-12-2004, 08:10 AM
Mark - Their house backs up to what will eventually be the ski resort's expansion area. I can't remember the road they live on - just how to get there. Head straight towards the entrance to Wisp. Turn Right. They're a coulpe miles back that way. They said that according to Wisp's project map - you'll be able to ski into their backyard (through trees - but who cares) when they are done expanding.

Also - about 10 min's away from the public ramp. We went up last summer, but haven't made it up this year yet, they've been coming to our place on the river (we have glass :D )

I'm sure we'll be heading up again for some early season snow skiing this year.

MarkP
08-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Jim,
Sounds like his place is off of Marsh Hill.
I know you cant tell by the weather, but, WAY early for this conversation.. Keep me in mind when you head up, I’ll see if I/we can sneak down for a quick ski

phecksel
08-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Rick,

I actually came out of the deal really good. Sold an absolutely beautiful house, with private lake access and ended up on the lake. Unfortunately, on one income it was tough feeding the Mastercraft, house (run down dump) on the lake and the plane. As much as I hated getting rid of the plane, water is my first love :)

Dad figured I had been dropped on my head, because I re married. But the house, boat, car are all in my name alone, and all purchased before marriage.

Off topic question, how are pictures posted in the middle of a message?

MarkP
08-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Ph

After you post your reply, scrol down to additional options, click manage attachments, click browse and go for it

phecksel
08-12-2004, 12:54 PM
ok, we'll try this...

nope didn't work. I can upload a file, just can not get it to appear with the text

or maybe it did?????!!!! No I'm really confused :)

lakes Rick
08-12-2004, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=phecksel]Rick,

Dad figured I had been dropped on my head, because I re married. But the house, boat, car are all in my name alone, and all purchased before marriage.

I agree with your dad...... Hope you had a prenup

MarkP
08-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Ricks new car??

BriEOD
08-13-2004, 02:46 PM
Ok what is it?

bcampbe7
08-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Won't be parking that in the bad part of town again!!!

Looks like a nice restoration going on... Be interested to see it finished.

JimN
08-13-2004, 03:18 PM
Looks like a '60's Mustang, to me.

Knoxes
08-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Looks like a '60's Mustang, to me.

I concur, but I'll be more specific and say 64-66. In 67-68, the top of the door "pool" wasn't as pronounced as the previous years.

bcampbe7
08-13-2004, 03:26 PM
I'll go further and say convertible... :D

Knoxes
08-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Well, if it wasn't before, it is now.

lakes Rick
08-13-2004, 07:12 PM
WAY OFF... Keep on guessing.........

HINT: It is a 67 convertible.....

JimN
08-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Is it a Fairlane or Galaxy? Hard for me to tell, the resolution isn't great.

bcampbe7
08-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Chevelle?? :confused:

lakes Rick
08-14-2004, 12:39 AM
No wrong again..... MarkP has a pic of what it will look like done.... He should be posting it eventually...

Not a ford not a chevy.... That aughta make it easier....

JimN
08-14-2004, 01:23 AM
OK, so that leaves us with:

AMC Hurst Rebel
Rambler American
Dodge Coronet/Pymouth Fury('cause I don't think it's a Valiant)

If it is a Dodge, does it have the push-button transmission?

H20skeefreek
08-14-2004, 08:11 AM
I knew it wasn't a 'Stang b/c of the rear fenderwell. it's cut low over the wheels like some kind of cruiser....a Nash maybe?

here was my other vice, but i totaled her a few weeks ago.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/30thannivstang

BriEOD
08-14-2004, 09:25 AM
A Gremlin? :D

ski_king
08-14-2004, 10:03 AM
Dodge Dart convertable?

lakes Rick
08-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Dodge Dart convertable?

Almost... Not a Dart....

MARKP, where is the finished pic I sent you......

lakes Rick
08-14-2004, 12:20 PM
I just reread JimN post and he got it right...

67 Dodge Coronet R/T convertible... one of 196 made... I purchased the car in 90. It had been sitting in a field for 5 years.. Actually has been a pretty good investment.. Muscle cars have gone crazy pricewise in the last few years... It is my way of relaxing. Pretty cool taking junk and making it pretty again... Last tag on the license plates are from 82.. So the car has not driven in 22 years....

Car came with the original motor 440- 375 horse, 727 Torqueflite Auto... As you can see it is being restored from the ground up...I have never driven it, as the engine was "stuck".. Towed it home and just dissasembled it.... It had to sit in a storage unit for a few years when my EX decided I couldn't live in my house anymore. One of the reasons it is still not done....

MarkP has a pic of what is gonna look like when done IF he ever uploads it here.....

ANYWAY, this is what I do in my off time......

lakes Rick
08-14-2004, 12:22 PM
OK, so that leaves us with:

AMC Hurst Rebel
Rambler American

If it is a Dodge, does it have the push-button transmission?

JimN I believe the pushbutton tranny only went to 65??

A rambler??? come on give me a break......

JimN
08-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Oh, right! I forgot you said it was a '67. Sorry, just kiddin'! You skoff at AMC, but they did get the straight 6 to work better. And they were bought by Chrysler, too. At least I didn't call it a Rambler American! (I'm actually appalled that I know so many of their models, but it's hard to live so close to them and have an American Motors factory in town and not remember. Especially when my dad and at least 2 of his brothers worked there).

MarkP
08-14-2004, 01:21 PM
The winner IS!!

BriEOD
08-14-2004, 01:23 PM
Dang Mark, :banana: about time....LOL Just kidding.

MarkP
08-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Dude, I forgot all about it. :o . Sorry..

ski_king
08-14-2004, 02:51 PM
67 Dodge Coronet RT Convertable.
Nice, very nice.

Does it have a 440?

lakes Rick
08-14-2004, 03:02 PM
440 HP ( 375 horse) was standard in the R/T's

R/T to Mopar ( dodge/chrysler/plymouth) is like SS to Chevrolet..

lakes Rick
08-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Oh, right! I forgot you said it was a '67. Sorry, just kiddin'! You skoff at AMC, but they did get the straight 6 to work better. And they were bought by Chrysler, too. At least I didn't call it a Rambler American! (I'm actually appalled that I know so many of their models, but it's hard to live so close to them and have an American Motors factory in town and not remember. Especially when my dad and at least 2 of his brothers worked there).

Jimn, you are correct... I would love to have a Rambler/scrambler ... They are really rare.... Do you subscribe to Hemmings Muscle car mag?? Had an article about an R/3 Lark?? Apparently some sort of supercharged Avanti motor in it... Great Mag, Real trick car....

ski_king
08-14-2004, 04:04 PM
First car I ever drove was my dad's 67 Coronet 440 with a 273 V8 automatic.

I always liked that body style.

JimN
08-14-2004, 04:30 PM
I don't subscribe to any of the mags, but I do watch Rides, Overhaulin', Popular Hot Roddin, and shows like those. I have been into cars like these since I was a kid, but never had any of them, although I am going to get something in the next couple of years. Thinking about a '66-'67 Nova, which is the reason I asked in a different thread about the one sitting next to a '97 PS in a barn. I'd like to try sticking an LTR or something like that in a car(probably with a composite intake manifold to keep the air cool) to see what it does. My bud who worked at the GM Proving Grounds in AZ has a '70 Challenger R/T and found out while getting the engine compartment ready to paint that the original color was Panther Pink. He's not too geeked on that color, but they only made around 30, I guess. His brother has a '67 Charger and another friend in Tucson has a MOPAR from the same era.

First car I drove was a Robin's Egg Blue '56 T'Bird. Unfortunately, with the climate here in WI and the salt used on the rodes over the years, it rotted pretty badly and my dad finally decided to sell it. He was an upholsterer and put on a new convertible top, new carpet, cleaned what didn't need to be replaced in the interior, replaced the front fenders, new paint and new seat covers with real tuck-and-roll, instead of the heat-seamed vinyl that was original. Hated to see it go but,.....

lakes Rick
08-14-2004, 09:24 PM
I belong to Mopar.com and the MOPAR guys would go nuts over his "panther pink" challenger.. He should really do some research on his Challenger as it could be worth some big bucks... The 71 cuda HEMI verts are going for over a million bucks.... not a typo...

His Panther pink R/T could be worth close to 100 grand......

lakes Rick
08-14-2004, 09:40 PM
JimN..

Put a thread on the Mopar site.. Maybe I can get some info for your friend.. Do you know what engine/trans it has???? Four speed cars seem to be going for more.....

lakes Rick
08-14-2004, 10:24 PM
JimN 47 produced......

stevo137
08-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Rick is right. I know a guy that has collected for years. Has a couple of Super Birds and a few others and his pink Challenger was on the front page of a mag. I'll see if I can get a pic. He is always looking for the next "one".

JimN
08-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Oh, believe me, he knows what it's worth. He just didn't expect to see that when he pulled the plaque off the firewall. He then pulled the turn signal indicators on the fenders and saw more pink. At this point, I think he wet himself. :eek: He's been into cars just about his whole life and the only things it needs are interior and paint. Unfortunately, a previous owner painted it dark metallic blue since he apparently didn't like the pink. It's originally from the southwest US, though, so it isn't rusted. He redid the motor and had a friend who specializes in MOPAR transmissions do that. He also has a '69 or '70 Roadrunner that is far from original and he's thinking about making it into a Super Bird- another friend of his does carbon fiber for his job, so it should be interesting.

His '69 Coupe de Ville was a test car for GM. They did shock and tire tests on the 5 mile track in Mesa and there's documentation that it spent about 80% of its time over 100 MPH. Big motor, roll cage, headers, fuel cell, wheel wells were opened up for east access, thermocouples on everything and gauges in the dash- all really nicely done. And a plate steel ballast box where the front bumper was, so they could add wieght to one corner or the other. I was out there 2 years ago and installed a keyless enrty w/ starter kill , trunk release and window roll-up. It's been freshly painted and it's now street legal. We've been calling it "The Road Warrior" since he got it. You can hear it from 2 blocks away.

I was talking to a friend from HS whose dad owns a Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth dealership(and my dad bought his '56 T'Bird from him) and he said his dad would bring home whatever car was sitting there on the lot. His mom would go grocery shopping with SuperBirds, Super Bees, Chargers, Challengers, etc. Get dropped off at school and other after school stuff. He was wishing they had kept just one of each, since they weren't very expensive at the time.

lakes Rick
08-15-2004, 02:13 AM
JimN,

the Caddy sounds pretty cool..

Your friends car might have been painted at the dealer when new.. Alot of people didn't like the pink, and the dealers had to paint them to move them..

Same with the wing cars ( superbirds and daytonas)... Too long ( wouldnt fit in garages) and just too radical... Some had there wings and nose cones removed and turned into bees and chargers..

Wing cars are pretty desirable now..

In High school I had a 691/2 super bee A12 car.. Its the super bee or road runner with the black fiberglass lift off hood with the 440 six pack under it ( tri power).. Sold the car during the first gas shortage ( 73-74) for $775... Now its worth over $50,000.. Thats the one I wish I had back.......

JimN
08-15-2004, 02:19 AM
Another friend of ours who works for Delphi has one of the Bees with the lift-off hood. He had the body worked over a few years ago and goes to small, regional shows. That thing gets up and goes!

I know what you mean about the colors. Panther Pink, Plum Crazy(a lot more popular) and that green were kinda odd, but they were going for the younger crowd at the time. Sorry you got rid of yours, but The '67 does look nice. And you don't have to worry about it as much.

stevo137
08-15-2004, 11:02 AM
I love this editing option!

lakes Rick
08-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Another friend of ours who works for Delphi has one of the Bees with the lift-off hood. He had the body worked over a few years ago and goes to small, regional shows. That thing gets up and goes!

I know what you mean about the colors. Panther Pink, Plum Crazy(a lot more popular) and that green were kinda odd, but they were going for the younger crowd at the time. Sorry you got rid of yours, but The '67 does look nice. And you don't have to worry about it as much.

JimN.. I have been contacted by a couple of Mopar anal guys.. IF your friend would like to get his vin # and his fender tag #s ( driver side front part of fender in the engine compartment) I can get it decoded for you/him and let him know EXACTLY all info and options that came on his car.. Where it was built etc..... PM me with the info if so.

A lot less Mopars produced than chev/fords... They guys on the mopar site are a pretty close fraternity.. Alot of interest in how many of these cars are left... Let me know....

lakes Rick
08-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Hey guys, I know this is off subject but it is time for me to order my new company car. They are offering the new Dodge Magnum this year. We took a look at a few and my wife isn't crazy about it. It seems like men really like it and women don't. What do you guys think about it?
I have had an 02 Impala for 2 years, over 50k miles, not one problem with it. I'm leaning towards the Magnum but might stay with the Impala.
Rick, I had a 71 white Eldo convert during my wild and single days that I wish I didn't sell. It was a beautiful car, had the 500 cu in 8.2 litre. It would smoke the front tires on demand! Of course I only did that a few times! :D

Stevo, Do you mean the Magnum wagon??? Pretty cool in my book... I am always untrusting of first year cars though.. Go back in car history.. The first year cars are ALWAYS improved the second year... I really dont need to say what I think about your wife not liking YOUR company car do I??????? HOLD IT.. The one in the boat??? Get what she wants..........

stevo137
08-15-2004, 02:30 PM
I don't know how to take that, the one in my boat???

JimN
08-15-2004, 03:09 PM
Rick- he worked at the GM Desert Proving grounds in Mesa AZ for almost 20 years(V-8 Powertrain Development) and knows people at Ford and Chrysler, so I would imagine he got the info around the time he bought it. He actually got it because he liked the car, just figured that it was a repaint. Very soon after, he started tearing it apart and found the original color. Other than the paint, it's very stock. And straight. It now sits inside his garage, along with his other cars and tools.