PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump?

Cody
07-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I have a 2006 197 with the 310hp 350. The boat quit on me while idling on the lake today...would not restart. We primed it and it did crank...did not maintain. I have narrowed it down to a fuel system problem. I can hear what appears to be the fuel pump when I turn the ignition switch on. Does this sound like the fuel pump? Anyone replace one on a similar model? Any idea of the price? Not sure if its covered by the warranty.

Thanks...

bigmac
07-01-2008, 09:01 PM
If you hear the fuel pump spinning up, that at least means that the harness/connector, circuit breaker etc is functioning. Now the question is whether or not it's actually pumping fuel.

There are lots of posts about problems and failures with MasterCraft's in-tank fuel pump. Filter clogs -> no cooling to pump -> pump impeller fries -> you get towed home.

You could check the fuel pressure if you have or can borrow a fuel pressure tester - apply it to the Schrader valve on your fuel rail.

It used to be that the fuel pump was only covered for one year under the MasterCraft warranty (not the three-year Indmar warranty since it's not Indmar's pump). However, I recently read here that MasterCraft has extended the warranty of that fuel pump to two years.

I'd run it up to the dealer and check it out.

JimN
07-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Don't guess- check the fuel pressure before doing anything else.

Cody
07-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Would I not have some flow if I had any pressure at all? I am getting nothing...

JimN
07-01-2008, 10:15 PM
You may but it may not flow much volume. Low pressure or low volume = not running well. Look for the black plastic cap for the Shrader valve on the fuel line and remove it. Turn the key ON and use a rag to catch the fuel and press the valve stem- it looks like a tire valve. If you get just a tiny squirt, let it sit for 5 seconds or more and turn the key ON again. It should prime and you should have pressure again. If it doesn't, the filter may be clogged.

Doug G
07-02-2008, 12:25 AM
Sounds like it but put the pressure gauge on to be sure. Mine is an 06 X-30 MCX and it quit last friday while pulling a rider like I turned the key off without any warning and would not refire... dealer put the pressure guage on and the new fuel pump is on the way ... You could still hear it spin up even though wouldn't do enough pressure to fire the engine. Never ran it below 1/2 tank either .. stuff happens.

bigmac
07-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Would I not have some flow if I had any pressure at all? I am getting nothing...
Yes, but likely you're not getting any pressure because the pumping mechanism of the pump is shot, even though the motor part of it is working.

trickskier
07-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Yes, but likely you're not getting any pressure because the pumping mechanism of the pump is shot, even though the motor part of it is working.

I agree with Bigmac. I just had to replace my fuel pump. I could hear the pump turn on but no fuel pressure.

JimN
07-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Any chance of disconnecting the fuel line on both ends and making sure it doesn't have any restrictions? This would also allow you to prime the pump and find out if the pump is working against something it can't overcome. It also makes it easier to look into the tank to see into the area of the pump.

rhsprostar
07-02-2008, 12:03 PM
It's about a 90% chance that it's your pump. Happened to me this spring. I could hear the pump when i turned the key but no pressure at the valve. Decided not to spend $500 and put in a new fuel "module" which would just go bad again as documented on this site.
I took the module apart and swapped out just the pump part with a replacement from NAPA. Works like a charm and puts out 58 PSI all day long. I can't remember what the GPH was on it but I asked Engine Nut and he told me that it was plenty for my motor.
Most importantly, I spent about half of a new fuel module and I didn't put in a problem plagued replacement part.

André
07-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Anyone knows if the replacement pumps for all those failed pumps last any longer then the originals?
Does it still happens that often with the 08? Has something change at the factory so that you can run that last 1/4 of the tank without burning the fuel pumps?
Man i love my old boat!:)

bigmac
07-02-2008, 12:08 PM
It's about a 90% chance that it's your pump. Happened to me this spring. I could hear the pump when i turned the key but no pressure at the valve. Decided not to spend $500 and put in a new fuel "module" which would just go bad again as documented on this site.
I took the module apart and swapped out just the pump part with a replacement from NAPA. Works like a charm and puts out 58 PSI all day long. I can't remember what the GPH was on it but I asked Engine Nut and he told me that it was plenty for my motor.
Most importantly, I spent about half of a new fuel module and I didn't put in a problem plagued replacement part.

It would be great if you could detail the replacement procedure and supply the NAPA part that you used...

Maristar210
07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
It would be great if you could detail the replacement procedure and supply the NAPA part that you used...

I'm all ears as well.

rhsprostar
07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
I actually snapped a few pics while i was doing it, but it is hard to use the camera with gas all over your hands.
I still have the NAPA box in my garage with the part number etc. I actually cross referenced it with an ACDelco part number i got from this site after doing a little research.
I have been meaning to post a "How to" for awhile but have been crazy busy this spring.
I will take a look tonight for the exact part number and try to do a write up tomorrow.
It is really riduculous that they make you swap out the whole "module" when it is just a faulty pump.

Cody
07-03-2008, 03:48 PM
It was the pump. Tested and confirmed. Put a new pump on today. Works great...plunger only. I got advance auto parts to cross reference the acdelco EP356 that rhsprostar posted. They gave me an E2044 for $85 out the door. We'll see how it goes. I'll update any problems though none are anticipated. Thanks for all your help.

rhsprostar
07-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Nice work. What do you mean plunger only?
thanks

Cody
07-06-2008, 09:11 PM
I put it on a water hose. Haven't taken it to the lake yet.

rhsprostar
07-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Ahh..plunger...got it.
How was the install? Were you able to reuse the plastic hose going from the pump up to the flange on the bottom of the fuel pressure regulator? I had to retrofit a piece of fuel line becuase it was unuseable.

Cody
07-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I had to do the same. The install was a pain in the butt. I needed an extra pair of hands. Well worth it thus far...Two good days on the lake with at least two more this week planned. I appreciate the part number tremendously.

rhsprostar
07-09-2008, 02:02 AM
Yeah, I had to do the same. The install was a pain in the butt. I needed an extra pair of hands. Well worth it thus far...Two good days on the lake with at least two more this week planned. I appreciate the part number tremendously.

No worries, anytime.
Did you happen to get the specs on the pump you put in?
Off the top off my head I think the NAPA one I used had a flow rate of approx 56 gph and a pressure of arounf 80-95psi, but i will verify tomorrow.