PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Port Source?

Hangtown Jerry
07-01-2008, 12:00 PM
My '82 Stars and Stripes rudder port (rudder box) needs replacement. Much side to side play in my rudder, and it's also leaking. Anybody know a source to purchase a new, or used in good condition, port?
Hangtown Jerry:

Bruce Carr
07-01-2008, 01:38 PM
I don't know of a source for a new OEM rudder box but you can get a new replacement rudder and box at Skidim and your dealer. Your existing rudder shaft will be well worn too, soo you might as well replace both.

EJ OJPROP
07-01-2008, 01:42 PM
We supply the current underwater gear for MC. The current rudder port is larger in diameter than the one on your boat so you would need to enlarge the hole in the boat if you want to go with the updated port/rudder system.

Eric @ OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

H20skeefreek
07-01-2008, 10:40 PM
My '82 Stars and Stripes rudder port (rudder box) needs replacement. Much side to side play in my rudder, and it's also leaking. Anybody know a source to purchase a new, or used in good condition, port?
Hangtown Jerry:

Have you had it out? I was thinking the same thing on mine, but I tightened everything up and greased her, and she's good to go for several more years.

I had taken it out to see about replacing it, and found out that it was just fine.

Hangtown Jerry
07-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Bruce, Thanks for your reply. I thought as much on the rudder shaft. Will know more when I dismantle and examine. Thanks for the heads-up.

Hangtown Jerry
07-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Eric,

Have noted your contact info and will be in touch if we have to replace everything.

Jerry

Hangtown Jerry
07-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi Freek,

Will be taking it out on the 4th when I have time. I hope to be as fortunate as you were with the fix on you boat. Wish me luck. Cecil at ELBERTS (800-541-4962) has located me a port (new/old stock) and I'll see what happens. We'll see how the rudder shaft looks when dismantled and may have to do what Bruce recommends.

Jerry

TMCNo1
07-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi Freek,

Will be taking it out on the 4th when I have time. I hope to be as fortunate as you were with the fix on you boat. Wish me luck. Cecil at ELBERTS (800-541-4962) has located me a port (new/old stock) and I'll see what happens. We'll see how the rudder shaft looks when dismantled and may have to do what Bruce recommends.

Jerry

If it's like the rudder I took out of my '89, the shaft is stainless steel and the bronze rudder bill part is cast onto the machined shaft. The bronze rudder port would/should wear before the shaft. You may have some slight wear inside the rudder port, but probably replacing the two o-rings in the top inside and bottom inside of the port and greasing it may tighten it up, otherwise replacing the port would cure it.