PDA

View Full Version : Boat Shuts Down - Voltage Reg???

sertmaverick
07-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Hey Folks,
Any ideas...new battery this year. Had been pulling skiers all morning and began to pull a skier in the afternoon when the boat just began to sputter for about 5 secs. and then all systems shut down. All the gauges stuck in place and didn't fall to zero. Turned the key and absolutely no power whatsoever. Boat cooled down a for about 5 min. and then hit the 50 amp reset and the boat started up again. Noticed the volt gauge was up and down slightly between 10 and 12 amps. This did it again later that day and again the volt gauge moved between 10 and 12 amps. Seems to me the volt gauge read up to 14 before, but not sure on that. Could it be a voltage regulator gone bad? Brand new battery just 2 days before. I will check the amps at the back of the alternator as some have spoke of in other posts, but I don't think that's the problem. Any help would be appreciated. 99' Maristar 210.

flipper
07-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Are you running anything like a huge stereo or anything? I'm not the expert on here, but it sounds like either you're trying to run too much at one time, or have a short some where.

JimN
07-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Go to the alternator and look for the orange charging lead. It should have a ring terminal on it and the nut should have a red rubber cover. Wiggle the wire to see if the terminal broke off from being too tight. If it did, You'll need to repair the wire and replace the terminal. You may need to find a way to allow the charging lead to come out of the harness farther, in order to reach far enough. If you can't do this, you'll need to splice a piece of wire onto the existing one, correctly. This means using a butt splice that is soldered and insulated. NAPA has parts for this kind of repair.

sertmaverick
07-01-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't have anything extra in the way of electronics....no amps, subs, or tower speakers....JimN, I'll take a look at the orange wire and report back...thanks for the possible hints.

JimN
07-01-2008, 02:19 PM
They had a recall for the charging lead, but I would imagine some of the boats out there didn't go in for one reason or another.

sertmaverick
07-02-2008, 09:10 PM
JimN...I checked what you said to look at and everything looked fine. I had 14.3 volts out of the alternator when I had the boat running. Any other ideas??? I guess I'm just wondering why my main fuse "trip". Is it likely that the main fuse could be going bad??? I would highly doubt it, but who knows....electrical issues are soooo frustrating, especially with EFI electronic ignition engines. AAAARRRRGGGG!!!

JimN
07-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Look for any wires that may be loose at the breaker, dash, battery or any other place where a nut or screw holds it tight.