PDA

View Full Version : stuffing / packing while docked

GuitsBoy
06-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Just launched our new 1992 prostar 205 that we just picked up. The stuffing box was leaking a steady stream so we tightened the packing nut up till we got one drip every three seconds with the motor off. We had to tighten the nut between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch to get to tighten up. The first turn or so I could get with my hands, but past that we had to use the wrench. Not sure if this is dangerously tight. It didnt require much effort with the wrench, but definitely much more than hand tight.

Now Im reading that most people shoot for a drip every couple seconds with the boat in gear. does this mean there should be virtually no drips while the boat is docked?

My concern is that we may go 2 weeks or so between uses. The boat will be docked at my parents house, so my dad can keep an eye on it just in case the battery dies. At a constant drip, this is a very real concern.

I just placed an order for the goretex virtually dripless packing, but im not sure when ill get a chance to pull the boat out to replace it.

Thanks guys!

CPlane Pilot
06-30-2008, 11:47 AM
No drips while parked. 2-3 drips a minute is adequate while underway.

east tx skier
06-30-2008, 11:57 AM
I prefer a drip every few seconds at idle. Nothing when the engine is not running.

TMCNo1
06-30-2008, 01:45 PM
I always tighten with a wrench till the rubber tube twists about 1/4", then tighten the jamb nut. It only drips enough to dampen a bath mat under the stuffing box about the size of a coffee cup saucer after even 2 days. I will run the bath mat for the entire season w/o washing, unless I do a/several powerturns, and take on some water from that, then it's just usually 1/2 damp. I've been doing that now for nearly 20 years.

GuitsBoy
06-30-2008, 01:47 PM
I always tighten with a wrench till the rubber tube twists about 1/4", then tighten the jamb nut. It only drips enough to dampen a bath mat under the stuffing box about the size of a coffee cup saucer after even 2 days. I will run the bath mat for the entire season w/o washing, unless I do a/several powerturns, and take on some water from that, then it's just usually 1/2 damp. I've been doing that now for nearly 20 years.

So its not even dripping while under power? Isnt that a quick way to burn up the seal?

jraben8
06-30-2008, 01:53 PM
What size wrenches do you use? 1 1/2"?? I don't have anything large enough.

GuitsBoy
06-30-2008, 02:02 PM
I used some huge channel locks. I think its like 2 or 2-1/8 but im not positive. I dont have open end wrenches that large.

TMCNo1
06-30-2008, 02:08 PM
So its not even dripping while under power? Isnt that a quick way to burn up the seal?

It drips occasionally, but it hasn't burnt up the stuffing in nearly 20 years and all I've ever added is one stick, never replaced the entire 3 pieces, just added once.

TMCNo1
06-30-2008, 02:10 PM
What size wrenches do you use? 1 1/2"?? I don't have anything large enough.

I use a pipe wrench and knock the jamb nut loose and tighten with a round chisel and a hammer.