PDA

View Full Version : 07 x2 gauges problem

wakeX2wake
06-30-2008, 12:03 AM
ok i was out saturday and i ran into a little trouble... was idling about 80 yds from the bank and i hit a sand bar... tweaked the tip of on one of the blades of my prop... not too big of a deal... getting it straightened out for a hundred bucks... when i felt the bump and as i was grabing the key to kill the motor it just shut off... is this normal? i'm assuming it was b/c when i hit the log/stump/whatever that was submerged in the muddy bottom...

now the issue of real concern... i was idling back and noticed the guages were all dead... speedo, tach, gas, all of them... the display on the bottom of the tach read "no data"... my immediate thought was the incidents were related... i can't be sure if they worked immediately after i restarted the engine as i was too worried about the vibration from the prop (expected) and looking in the engine and transmission compartment for any water leaking in after i assessed any mangling from in the water (thankfully none other than the prop)... i got the boat on the trailer and and turned the key over to the "run" position and the guages powered up and appeared to be fine again... at this point i'm thinking a fluke thing... so i turn the key off and assess the prop, strut, and shaft on the trailer... i go back to the guages and i again turn the key over to "run" and could hear the guages powering up and the fuel guage and volt were dead and obviously the oil pressure and temp guages weren't going to read w/o the boat running but the depth finder was displaying .5 ft (the normal traliered depth)

i have no idea if this is an issue i should be concerned with or should I?... i have no idea where to start to trouble shoot this... thanks in advance for any tips/clues/advice

patrick

H20BOY
06-30-2008, 12:11 AM
The guages in my '06 X-15 do the same thing. When the go out, check the ECU for the guages and make sure everything is plugged in tight. They usually will start working. It usually happens at least once everytime I take the boat out, but of course it will never do it at the dealer. I believe it is more of a bother than a problem.

wakeX2wake
06-30-2008, 12:14 AM
The guages in my '06 X-15 do the same thing. When the go out, check the ECU for the guages and make sure everything is plugged in tight. They usually will start working. It usually happens at least once everytime I take the boat out, but of course it will never do it at the dealer. I believe it is more of a bother than a problem.

i don't mind the bother so much... the ECU? sorry i'm no mechanic for sure... this is where they're plugged in the back of the guages?

H20BOY
06-30-2008, 12:18 AM
If you raise the front seat and look toaward the steering wheel, there is a black box with wires plugged into it. This is the ECU. Make sure all of the wires are plugged in good.

wakeX2wake
06-30-2008, 12:30 AM
awesome... just checked it and its good... and the guages work... thanks tons for the advice... i was really stressing over the issue... good to know its not too bad

jaysus
06-30-2008, 01:18 AM
The black box is the "MMDC". ECM is located on your engine.

wakeX2wake
06-30-2008, 10:33 AM
so have other people seen this issue? is it an inherent problem w/ x-series or what's the real deal here... i was really affraid i was going to have to pull a solid 2 hrs to dealership to spend 80/hr to work on it

H20BOY
06-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Every time I have taken mine in they tell me everything is working fine. I have heard of some people haveing to get the part changed out, but I am not sure how widespread of an issue it is.

Roonie's
06-30-2008, 12:08 PM
First I have heard of it on the forum. Mine is an 07 X2.

wakeX2wake
06-30-2008, 12:31 PM
First I have heard of it on the forum. Mine is an 07 X2.

well me too... searched the issue for a while but didn't find much similar... good to know i'm not the only one with the issue... hoping it was a fluke thing and i won't have to deal with it again but now that i have a solution (thanks h20boy) or something i know to do to feel like i'm helping the situation i feel a little better

Roonie's
06-30-2008, 12:37 PM
well me too... searched the issue for a while but didn't find much similar... good to know i'm not the only one with the issue... hoping it was a fluke thing and i won't have to deal with it again but now that i have a solution (thanks h20boy) or something i know to do to feel like i'm helping the situation i feel a little better

The only other thing that came to mind but probably not it, is the lanyard. Sometimes if the lanyard switch goes bad the guages won't work.... but you wouldn't be able to start it either so I think that rules it out. Worth a shot of wiggling it to see if that does anything?

wakeX2wake
06-30-2008, 01:15 PM
The only other thing that came to mind but probably not it, is the lanyard. Sometimes if the lanyard switch goes bad the guages won't work.... but you wouldn't be able to start it either so I think that rules it out. Worth a shot of wiggling it to see if that does anything?

yea i called Rambo first thing to talk to them about my eventful 15 min trip on the water... he mentioned it so i unplugges the kill switch and plugged back in and it seemed to be good... good stuff on here thanks for the ideas... didn't dawn on me to check it on saturday

i was glad to get some w/ my rig in one piece... rough day...

prop is getting changes from a 14.5 pitch to a 14... what should i expect to see different from performance? i know NOTHING about props other than the guy who can get it back to me and the best guy locally said they don't make pitch blocks in a 14.5 and i might see a few more RPMs on top end but wouldn't notice a difference in the pull w/ the 14.25 diameter

Roonie's
06-30-2008, 01:30 PM
You should also check out Eric at OJ Props. They will do a complete fix and send it back in a week for around $100 + or -. It is their prop to begin with so they have all the equipment to get the job done right. I had mine fixed by them and it looks and feels like new.

wakeX2wake
06-30-2008, 01:33 PM
You should also check out Eric at OJ Props. They will do a complete fix and send it back in a week for around $100 + or -. It is their prop to begin with so they have all the equipment to get the job done right. I had mine fixed by them and it looks and feels like new.

yeah... i just need my ride back by thursday... would probably get overly pricey to have shipped fixed and back from Monday to Thursday... i may see about getting it worked again in a few weeks when i take my mid summer week long break from riding