PDA

View Full Version : Changing a prop on a X2.....I'm missing something

1boarder
06-29-2008, 06:21 PM
I went to change the prop on my x2 and I can't get it off no matter how I turn the rudder. My x1 was a tight fit, but you could just move the prop and get it off. Am I missing something or is it necessary to remove the rudder. Maybe I didn't find the right combination because I couldn't get it. Anyone have any ideas or knowledge of the x2? Thanks in advance.

jaysus
06-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Drop the rudder and save yourself hours of frustration.

bturner2
06-30-2008, 07:35 AM
You don't say what year your X2 is but with mine (03 - X2) the fit is tight but it does come off without pulling the rudder. It would be a pretty bad design if you did have to pull the rudder everytime you wanted to change the prop. I changed mine yesterday. Taking it off was pretty easy, putting the new one on gave me a bit of trouble. I had to play with the blade position as it related to the position of the rudder, aligning the space between the blades with the rudder and bringing the prop up on an angle to slide it into place. If yours is too close to get it off, I'd look at the coupler to see if it's loose and see if the shaft is moving. It is a tight fit and would take much to make it a no go situation.

djhuff
06-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Like bturner2 said, you are going to have the rudder turned slightly, then angle the prop past the rudder and "spin" it off. You do NOT have to drop the rudder unless there is something VERY wrong with the alignment. You might think it's a tight fit, but when you do it right, it really comes off quite easily.

wakeX2wake
06-30-2008, 09:23 AM
sounds weird 1boarder... i pulled mine in less than 2 mins last night... i had more trouble with the prop puller not wanting to fit through the blades and hook on the back of the prop... it came right off.. just left about 2-3 threads on the nut holding it on and hit it a couple rounds with the prop puller... i did have to turn the rudder but it was just to give more room

1boarder
06-30-2008, 09:58 AM
It is an 08. I had no trouble with my 06 x1. I turned the steering from one extreme to the next and the first time it was straight. Maybe the secret is somewhere in between. It has hydraulic steering and I can't push the rudder by hand like I could on the other boats. I will try again later. The rudder only goes to about 45 degrees each way. I only need to find about an 1/8 of an inch

Luckily, I just wanted to try my other prop that is the same one (14.25x14.5) but with a little more cup to it to see how much of a difference it made.

Thanks for the replies.

TallRedRider
07-04-2009, 09:32 PM
1 boarder,

What happened?

I have this bizarre experience. I bought a new prop and put it on the boat. It was really tight, but it fit, had to angle the prop and rudder just right to get it on.

I think I may have hit something first time out or it came from the factory out of balance because I have a very slight vibration at about 15 MPH. So I go to take the prop off today to have it looked at to see if it is out of balance (there are no visible abnormalities to the naked eye), and I cannot get it off to save my life. It simply won't come off. I put the wife in the boat (she was thrilled to do this) and had every conceivable rudder position...still no luck.

The fascinating thing is that in the interval, I had the cavitation plate installed. I find out that this dropped the rudder a little bit in order to put the plate on there.

I think that this change in geometry has made it impossible to get the prop off. Am I loony?

How hard is it to drop the rudder? It appears that I just pull the cotter pin and loosen the stainless bolt. It is a bear to reach, but does not look too bad if that is all it entails. It has hydraulic steering if that matters.

Jerseydave
07-04-2009, 11:05 PM
On my '05 X-star, ever since I changed to the new-style rudder I have to drop the rudder every time I change the prop. :(

Put a jack and block of wood under the rudder first to catch it and not allow it to hit the ground and get damaged, remove cotter pin and pinch bolt. Now you can drop the rudder, change prop and re-install rudder (put some grease on the shaft while it's out)

^It gets easier to change with more practice. I feel MC could have used a prop shaft that is 1/4" shorter to eliminate this problem.

O2BESOHUGE
07-05-2009, 08:11 AM
I Would Check The Coupling Onthe Back Of The Transmission To See If The Shaft May Have Slipped Or Something That Caused It To Be Closer To The Rudder. Just A Thought

Mine Came Off Of My Prostar But It Was A Challenge! I Had To Use A Torch For About 3 Or 4 Seconds And Then Use The Prop Puller...came Off Like Butter Then

Jay

bigmac
07-05-2009, 08:25 AM
I Had To Use A Torch For About 3 Or 4 Seconds And Then Use The Prop Puller...came Off Like Butter Then

Jay

His shaft is splined, not tapered, so it slides off easily - no heat or prop puller needed. His problem is that he doesn't have enough clearance between the end of the shaft and the leading edge of the rudder.

1boarder
07-05-2009, 11:45 AM
I haven't tried to change my prop since then. I have two OJ 14.25x14.5 props. One has a slightly different cup and I wanted to change them to see if there was a difference. After trying for a while I gave up. I guess I will save it and tackle it when I actually need to change the prop.

One thing I was thinking was maybe unhook the steering linkage and just turn the rudder. This way you will not have to drop the rudder. After playing with the rudder position, I really don't believe that the prop can be pulled no matter how the rudder is positioned. The sad part is that I only lacked 1/8 of an inch.

TallRedRider
07-05-2009, 08:19 PM
On my '05 X-star, ever since I changed to the new-style rudder I have to drop the rudder every time I change the prop. :(

Put a jack and block of wood under the rudder first to catch it and not allow it to hit the ground and get damaged, remove cotter pin and pinch bolt. Now you can drop the rudder, change prop and re-install rudder (put some grease on the shaft while it's out)

^It gets easier to change with more practice. I feel MC could have used a prop shaft that is 1/4" shorter to eliminate this problem.

Amen brother.

If the rudder is that easy to tackle, then I will just do that. I spent 2 hours thinking I am a complete retard.

I guess if I have to do it that way...this puts an end to any discussion of changing the prop in the water during a pinch.

His shaft is splined, not tapered, so it slides off easily - no heat or prop puller needed. His problem is that he doesn't have enough clearance between the end of the shaft and the leading edge of the rudder.

My last boat had a tapered shaft and the first prop change was extremely difficult. I was thrilled with how easy the splined shaft makes it work.

I did check to see if maybe my prop shaft had slipped and it is right where it is supposed to be. I do have one of the MC technicians' cell phone and called him to see if he knew what I was doing wrong. We checked the shaft position and it is good. He said that some boats with bigger props need the rudder to be removed the get the prop off.

I sort of figured that this was like 'who wants to be a millionaire' and I burned up my 'call a friend', so I wasn't going to call him back on the 4th of July to ask if taking the rudder off was as easy as it looks. I felt dumb enough calling once on a holiday.

bigmac
07-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Disappointing that the rudder would have to be removed to change a prop. Sometimes MasterCraft has a little gap in some of their engineering concepts.

Anyway, here are some pics of rudder removal/install. Don't lose the O-rings (2) on the rudder shaft. And grease her up good with a lever-type grease gun on the zerk after you're done.

http://mccollister.info/rudder/rudder1.jpg

http://mccollister.info/rudder/rudder2345.jpg

http://mccollister.info/rudder/rudder6.jpg

bigmac
07-05-2009, 08:48 PM
http://mccollister.info/rudder/rudder78.jpg

http://mccollister.info/rudder/rudder910.jpg

http://mccollister.info/rudder/rudder11.jpg

bturner2
07-05-2009, 09:31 PM
That is strange. I just my rudder all the way over to the left and am able to change both my13.7" and 14" props without taking off the rudder.

TallRedRider
07-05-2009, 10:31 PM
That is strange. I just my rudder all the way over to the left and am able to change both my13.7" and 14" props without taking off the rudder.

FWIW it is a 14.5 inch prop.

BIGMAC,

Thanks. That helps a ton. Terrific pics. Very helpful. Can I buy you a drink? ;)

TallRedRider
07-07-2009, 12:22 AM
I got her done tonight. Mac's instructions and pics were great. I have a terrible spot on my right arm where one of the hose clamps on the engine kept rubbing on me, but I guess sacrifice is necessary.

The only complication I had was when I was pretty well done. I hooked up my new grease gun to the Zerk fitting and it was very tight, had to push hard to get it to go on. I filled it up with some grease (at least I pulled the handle several times) and then when I gave a good pull on the zerk attachment, the entire zerk head pulled out of the rudder assembly! definitely an OH $%** moment.

The zerk is threaded on. I was able to get it back on, although I think some of the threads are stripped. It went on snug with a little TLC to get it started.

Like Mac said, having done it once, I think it will go quicker the next time. The first time was a little bit of a bear, but having a feel for how to loosen things up will make a big difference next time.