PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Surfers!

wakechic2786
06-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Ok, all you surfers out there, I need some help! I started wakesurfing this year and fell in love with it! But my problem is that I don't have a good boat for surfing. I can't seem to stay with the boat without the rope, but I have seen people do it with a smaller wake than mine. I have tried weighting the boat different ways and still can't get it! So, I thought that it might be the board that I am using. I have a 2004 Liquid Force SkimSkate that is really slugish. I am looking at the O'Brien Alias 5'0'' because of my price range. I can't afford to spend a whole lot of money right now. I just wondered it that would be a good board for me and my boat. I am about 5'10'' and just a little over 100lbs soaking wet. And my boat is a 1999 Sportstar. Any suggestions would be great!

ShamrockIV
06-29-2008, 07:13 PM
we love our cwb ride!!!

keep ur weight on ur front leg!!!

justinglow
06-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Hey Wakechic!

I bought the Alias as well and I have a 98 Sportstar. I will let you know if I find out any secrets. Our boat isn't the best for this but it can be done. How many feet are you from the back of the boat?

wakechic2786
06-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey Wakechic!

I bought the Alias as well and I have a 98 Sportstar. I will let you know if I find out any secrets. Our boat isn't the best for this but it can be done. How many feet are you from the back of the boat?

Uh! I can't remember! I made my rope off of what a wakesurf website told me to do. But i have been moving all around on the wake trying to find that sweetspot!

maha skier
07-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Okay a couple of pointers. How far back are you, you should be at the part of the wake that is just starting to come up (if you have a small wake). Also if you can't keep up with the boat that means that the boat is simply going to fast. We surf at between 9.5 and 12 behind my X30. So you should be maybe a tad slower...Try it and see. Should work for ya. You should not have to be workin to hard behind the boat to stay with it...Let us know. P

x-10ron
07-07-2008, 10:52 PM
the bigger the board the better when first learnng how to surf, try to weight only one side of the boat , right side always seem better on a mc due to the way the props spins[at least on my boat]. try to think of the board as a see-saw, you need to be able to shift your body weight forward to speed up and back to slow down. I started with a LF 4'6 and hated it, had the same problem, I found a used surf board on craigs list, 5'10 fun board, it has a rounded nose and I teach every one off of that board. everyone who has ever try to surf behind my x-10 has gottin' the hang if it, they may not let go of the rope, but they were able to ride with alot of slack in the rope, true surfing. so yes the board really make a differance. hope this helps

wakechic2786
07-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Okay a couple of pointers. How far back are you, you should be at the part of the wake that is just starting to come up (if you have a small wake). Also if you can't keep up with the boat that means that the boat is simply going to fast. We surf at between 9.5 and 12 behind my X30. So you should be maybe a tad slower...Try it and see. Should work for ya. You should not have to be workin to hard behind the boat to stay with it...Let us know. P

the bigger the board the better when first learnng how to surf, try to weight only one side of the boat , right side always seem better on a mc due to the way the props spins[at least on my boat]. try to think of the board as a see-saw, you need to be able to shift your body weight forward to speed up and back to slow down. I started with a LF 4'6 and hated it, had the same problem, I found a used surf board on craigs list, 5'10 fun board, it has a rounded nose and I teach every one off of that board. everyone who has ever try to surf behind my x-10 has gottin' the hang if it, they may not let go of the rope, but they were able to ride with alot of slack in the rope, true surfing. so yes the board really make a differance. hope this helps

Well, I went this weekend for four days and surfed about everyday and still couldn't let go of the rope. I put as many people as I could in the boat and still couldn't let go of the rope on either side! I tried surfing everywhere on the wake and I tried every speed! I had the wake looking beautiful on the left side and it had a pretty good size to it but still just couldn't stay with it. I put almost all of my weight on my front leg and still nothing. I think that I am going to invest in a different board! I even tried removing some of the fins on the board. Nothing! It's like I would come soo close and would get just a little slack in the rope but would loose it everytime!

Maristar210
07-07-2008, 11:42 PM
You need a waist high wake and you need to get forward on the board a bit

wakechic2786
07-07-2008, 11:44 PM
You need a waist high wake and you need to get forward on the board a bit

Well, I know that I don't need a waist high wake because I've seen it done on smaller ones than mine and I have tried moving to the tip of the board and that didn't work either.

Maristar210
07-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Well, I know that I don't need a waist high wake because I've seen it done on smaller ones than mine and I have tried moving to the tip of the board and that didn't work either.

Lean back and then pump forward to sustain. Bigger the wake the easier it is for sure.

Certainly one of those leg humpers in NC can show you :D

sand2snow22
07-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Are you still on the liquid? Board might be a factor. I had a CWB Tsunami when I first started, I could barely let go of the rope. Picked up the Inland Surfer Yellow Loogey and it was much better. Night and day. These days I'm riding the Inland Surfer Blue Lake (woody) and I can always keep up with the wave. Currently waiting on a custom The Walker Project F18, can't wait for it to get here.

He bought you that ring, have him buy you a new board!

h2oskiier222
07-08-2008, 12:38 AM
We have been riding an inland surfer blue lake behind my x7...It works very well. I weight my boat differently though I use the factory 500lbs ballast in the rear and then load two more sacks on the port side in the rear and put everyone on the port side of the boat as well. We set the PP on 10.3 and that seems to work the best for my boat. We basically have the same size boat though; so I think you just need to find the right combination of speed and ballast setup. I read something about putting weight up front to make the wave longer...Hopefully all this helps...Good Luck!

The other thing with wake surfing is getting a good edge into the wake with the wake surfer.

sand2snow22
07-08-2008, 01:02 AM
[QUOTE=h2oskiier222;514190

The other thing with wake surfing is getting a good edge into the wake with the wake surfer.[/QUOTE]

Werd, gotta use your toes!

A little inspiration video, good music, too......

http://www.thewalkerproject.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=87

wakechic2786
07-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Lean back and then pump forward to sustain. Bigger the wake the easier it is for sure.

Certainly one of those leg humpers in NC can show you :D

I tried that too! I am telling you, I have been reading up on wakesurfing and I tried everything that you are supposed to do and none of it worked! I am going to try and get a different board. I didn't really like the one I have to begin with so this will be my excuse for a new one.

VOLFAN
07-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Sham has a surfing school I hear... You may pay him and he will come teach ya or come to CHL and enter his class..:rolleyes:

Monte
07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Hey Joy, You should try moving forward on the board some if you havent already. The whole stance not just the front foot. put pressure on the front to stay forward. Of course I just picked it up. But that is how I got it..

D3skier
07-08-2008, 11:53 AM
I've added 1700lbs of ballast to mine and wasn't able to get a decent enough wake to be able to stay up on mine as well... it's pretty close but just doesn't seem to be enough... I'm thinking maybe another 500lbs in the bow should do the trick and possible a little bigger board....
but then again my boat isn't exactly designed for this type of fun

gigem75
07-08-2008, 12:11 PM
We used to do that behind a Larson with a 100hp Merc. Used a 9ft long board, short boards don't work that well. Dinged up the nose many times when switching sides because the nose would hit the lower unit. Closer to the boat the better.

wakeX2wake
07-08-2008, 12:14 PM
We used to do that behind a Larson with a 100hp Merc. Used a 9ft long board, short boards don't work that well. Dinged up the nose many times when switching sides because the nose would hit the lower unit. Closer to the boat the better.

that takes some serious bawls surfing behind an i/o!!!

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Sham has a surfing school I hear... You may pay him and he will come teach ya or come to CHL and enter his class..:rolleyes:

u hear right!!!!!!

i have been accused of not having any class before lol. but i do not have a formal class but i did teach close to 12 folks to surf this weekend and i think i sold 2 boards for boatworks!! lol

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 12:24 PM

that takes some serious bawls surfing behind an i/o!!!

dude there is a difference in bawls and being a dumb@$$!!!!!

gigem75
07-08-2008, 12:32 PM
not an i/o one of the first 100 hp merc outboards made.
So none of you were indestructable when 19 years old? None of you did anything that you'd think twice about? Actually sounds more dagnerous than it is. If you fall, just jump back. no sweat.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f310/gigem75/whothehellisthis9.jpg

wakeX2wake
07-08-2008, 01:14 PM
not an i/o one of the first 100 hp merc outboards made.
So none of you were indestructable when 19 years old? None of you did anything that you'd think twice about? Actually sounds more dagnerous than it is. If you fall, just jump back. no sweat.

not even gonna try to say i haven't done some dumb stuff but that's asking to get a foot/arm/face turned into hamburger meat

gigem75
07-08-2008, 01:55 PM
I'd do that before jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. Well I wouln't do either one now. Anyway I have a MC now but board I've got is just a little short for wakesurfing.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-08-2008, 01:56 PM
So, I thought that it might be the board that I am using. I have a 2004 Liquid Force SkimSkate that is really slugish. I am looking at the O'Brien Alias 5'0'' because of my price range.

Yeah...I would try to get off that SkimSkate as they aren't the easiest. We run a HL Broadcast. As you can (maybe) see, it's wider and longer (more surface area).

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 02:35 PM
broadcast is ok but the cwb tsunami turns better!!!!!!

jobondur
07-08-2008, 02:52 PM
So I'm looking to just screw around with wakesurfing and see if I like it. I don't have a wakesurf board but I have a 8'4" fun-shape surf board and lots of friends that have short boards (starting around 5'6"). Is it very easy to just use a regular surf board? How much total ballast would I need with a large board?

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 02:56 PM
not sure jobondur. i wouls assume u would need alot!!!! depends on how much u weigh too!!!!

wakeX2wake
07-08-2008, 03:10 PM
who all does deep water starts and who rides off the platform?

Kevin&Annie
07-08-2008, 03:15 PM
I've done both the deep water start and off the platform. I tried going off the platform this past weekend and we had so much weight in the boat the platform was underwater. Had a moster wake though! Much easier to deep water start in that case.

- A -

sand2snow22
07-08-2008, 03:26 PM

I've done both, IMO easier on the hands to deep water start.

sand2snow22
07-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Yeah...I would try to get off that SkimSkate as they aren't the easiest. We run a HL Broadcast. As you can (maybe) see, it's wider and longer (more surface area).

See how wide his stance is in PHat's photo, that's what you want. Plus, toes are close to the edge of the board. Use left foot as the gas pedal, right foot as the brake!

wakeX2wake
07-08-2008, 03:37 PM
i can see where its easier to deep water start but i usually just surf in the dark at the end of the day and i'm usually dry and dont' want to get wet so i just go off the platform to avoid the drying process as i rarely take a towel to the water with me

Lennyp04
07-08-2008, 03:45 PM
We have a Hyperlite Broadcast and love it. Some tips that were probably mentioned in here:

If you ride regular stay on the port side of the boat.
Weight only one side of the boat and some middle ballast can help.
Have everyone get on that side of the boat.
Its going to feel weird but you need to be about 3-8" from the teak...and you need to play the board like a seasaw.

our problem in the begging was to much weight on the back foot and none on the front. Its amazing how much you have to put on the front foot!

EDIT: Also, whatever side your surfing on, have the driver make a slight turn in that direction...helps make the wake bigger!

Roonie's
07-08-2008, 03:48 PM
I have the same HP Broadcast and it is very sluggish. A good board to have on the boat for people learning but I have outgrown it. Also I always deep water start as it takes two seconds to get up. This year I have been able to jump from port to starboard side and back again without going down. I usually ride port. This pick is off my 07 X2 with factory ballast only loaded in KGB and port and a couple of passengers. As you can see it needs more weight to make a better lip without all the washout. I am adding fatsacs soon. Also it is nearly impossible to let go of the roap with this board and current weight in the boat. The board is just to sluggish no matter what I do.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0116.jpg

Aric'sX15
07-08-2008, 03:52 PM

I just cant seem to get our 205V dailed in.
What setup are you running? Thats an awesome wave!

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 03:59 PM
we always deep water start seems alot safer!!!!! I love this pic!!!

wakeX2wake
07-08-2008, 04:05 PM
check this one out (http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/inc/popup.htm?http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/files/f_ballast_desc--2536_284.jpg)... this is on another site... apparently it is a '07 x2 w/ 4-550lbs sacks + factory on the port... ridiculous... i think this user is on here b/c i think i've seen pics of this boats LEDs before on here

rspiecha
07-08-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm having the same problem. What do you guys recommend on a board for a big guy??? I'm 6'2" 230 lbs. I'm crossing the ski deck by the time the rope goes slack.

Thanks

Rob

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 04:24 PM
check this one out (http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/inc/popup.htm?http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/files/f_ballast_desc--2536_284.jpg)... this is on another site... apparently it is a '07 x2 w/ 4-550lbs sacks + factory on the port... ridiculous... i think this user is on here b/c i think i've seen pics of this boats LEDs before on here

holy underwear batman!!!! that is a freakin monster wake!!!!! even with the angle of the pic it is still huge!!!!!

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm having the same problem. What do you guys recommend on a board for a big guy??? I'm 6'2" 230 lbs. I'm crossing the ski deck by the time the rope goes slack.

Thanks

Rob

check me out on the cwb ride i am a big guy too 6'1" and 215 or so and we surf a small wake!!!

Roonie's
07-08-2008, 04:29 PM

Thanks

Rob

Look on the Inland Surfer web site and they give some good info. They make great boards too. I have heard great things about the Blue Lake. This is my next board soon. The HP Broadcast is a cheaper alternative but not nearly the board.

Here is their rider chart.

http://www.inlandsurfer.com/files/RiderChart.pdf

wakeX2wake
07-08-2008, 04:41 PM
holy underwear batman!!!! that is a freakin monster wake!!!!! even with the angle of the pic it is still huge!!!!!

that sucker right there caused insurance claims i'm betting... i don't have near that much weight in my boat... i only had 2 250lbs bags laying in the starboard front and rear w/ about 6 people on the chatch and standing in seats... but i had a guy on a fishing boat come up yelling at us over the fourth b/c 100 yards away my wake had swamped the back of his 23' triton and made it all the way to the floor board... hahaha i told him i was sorry and offered him a keystone

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 04:48 PM
u better save ur milk money for an inland surfer they are not cheap!!!!!!!

Kevin&Annie
07-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Sham - that's not much bigger than the one we were surfing this past weekend! It was huge!! You've got to come down to Holmes Creek and check it out!

ShamrockIV
07-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Sham - that's not much bigger than the one we were surfing this past weekend! It was huge!! You've got to come down to Holmes Creek and check it out!

was that behind a bu?????

Aric'sX15
07-08-2008, 07:04 PM

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa23/AricBrabec/malibu23lsv.jpg

Heres me behind a Wakesetter 23 LSV.
Shoot me for saying this, but i like Malibu surf wakes!

Kevin&Annie
07-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Yep. They only people with MCs we're with have 190's. Can't surf behind those very well.

Although, Kev did surf behind Alan Jackson's a couple of years ago.

sand2snow22
07-08-2008, 08:39 PM
I've posted it too many times before, but I love this pic! 2005 Moomba XLV, yes Moomba:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/bryanmclean18/sean.jpg

c_craig
07-08-2008, 11:08 PM
This is a first time rider on our X-15 last weekend. Only stock ballast and three people in the boat. We had 7 or 8 on the boat a couple of weeks ago and the wake was huge. Still messing around with speed. We've been riding the Broadcast, which is easy to get up on, but I road the CWB this weekend and the more bouyant board is way better. Went to go buy one, and they were out. Bought the Blue Lake instead, which I can't wait to try. Heard it is great.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-09-2008, 08:31 PM
I just cant seem to get our 205V dailed in.
What setup are you running? Thats an awesome wave!

That setup was the port rear 750lbs sac ~3/4 full, the center locker full, the bow filler sac at about 50% (plus lead in nose), 2 people at the port rear corner seating, and the driver at the helm.

Datdude
07-24-2008, 06:26 PM
I am addicted to surfing after my first try:cool:! I was amazed at how easy it was to get up and I had a blast. I only wiped out twice in 5 rides and it was great. I was on a 5'6" Broadcast and it seemed like a good beginner board. After Tuesday night I have been looking all over for a board and settled on the same Broadcast I used. I really wanted the Inland Surfer Red Wood, but $550 was a little steep for my first board. I was not able to drop the rope, but got to the point where it was slack. We were behind a 2004 X-Star and the wake (stock port ballast only) was not good. We only had two people in the boat so we had to make due. I have a 1995 Prostar 190 and was looking into the "Inboard" Fat Sac that weighs 1000lbs. Does anyone have any experience with that? Any set up tips for that boat would be appreciated. Surf's Up!:cool:

c_craig
07-25-2008, 12:26 AM
What happened on the other three rides? I usually end in a wipe out.

X45Pimpin
07-25-2008, 02:50 AM
I just started learning this summer after I bought my X-45. I've found after doing research that it helps to not only put weight on the front of the board to keep speed, but you should also have you weight more to one side of the board so that the edge of the board cuts into the wave. If you ride toe side into the wave, you would want to be more on that side of the board to push you toe side edge into the wake.
I'm still trying to perfect it, but it's a fun learning process :)

sand2snow22
07-25-2008, 03:43 AM
I just started learning this summer after I bought my X-45. I've found after doing research that it helps to not only put weight on the front of the board to keep speed, but you should also have you weight more to one side of the board so that the edge of the board cuts into the wave. If you ride toe side into the wave, you would want to be more on that side of the board to push you toe side edge into the wake.
I'm still trying to perfect it, but it's a fun learning process :)

Very true! Well said.....

Datdude
07-25-2008, 11:52 AM
What happened on the other three rides? I usually end in a wipe out.

I let go because I had a nasty cramp in my left leg. :cool:

vogelm1
07-25-2008, 11:17 PM
DD, now we have to get you out on Wednesday nights for "surf club" night - no excuses! ;):D

Mark's boat actually puts up a pretty darn good wave. Maybe in the next couple weeks...

Datdude
07-26-2008, 12:55 PM
DD, now we have to get you out on Wednesday nights for "surf club" night - no excuses! ;):D

Mark's boat actually puts up a pretty darn good wave. Maybe in the next couple weeks...

I was ballast one evening last Summer on Mark's boat and it looked like a great wake. I have an "inboard surf" fat sac ordered for the PS 190 and will be interested to see how it works. I am thinking that 1000+ lbs in that small boat should make a nice wake. I do not know if my skillz are at the point where I am good enough to surf with the "club" yet. Hopefully soon though;)

Kell
08-30-2008, 12:08 PM

X-10Ron, how are you weighting your x-10. I just picked up some ballast bags, two for the rear lockers, and one for the ski locker. We just started surfin as well. Got the High Fly Fat sacs, and tube sac.

turbosdad
08-30-2008, 02:46 PM
I tried that too! I am telling you, I have been reading up on wakesurfing and I tried everything that you are supposed to do and none of it worked! I am going to try and get a different board. I didn't really like the one I have to begin with so this will be my excuse for a new one.
dont feel bad, i have been WSing all summer and can barely let go of the rope. I can hold it in my teeth though. As weird as that may sound that is all of the pull I need BUT when I let go i will drift back immediately and be gone or I have to focus so hard at staying in the sweet spot that it is NO fun. I have a 08 X2 with stock ballasts, and the fly high system. I have watched hundreds of you tube videos of people surfing with wakes half my boats size. It is very frustrating. I am using the hyperlite broadcast 4'9" and am an experience surfer...go figure.

sand2snow22
08-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Turbo, how much do you weigh? I had the same problem when I first started wakesurfing. I was riding the shorter CWB Tsunami, I could barely let go and struggled to keep up, mostly riding right off of the platform. Well, got an Inland Surfer Blue Lake and it's night and day. Board has more floatation for my frame, can ride way off the platform and keep up no problem. I don't know if you have the same problem, but could be. Sounds like you have your setup dialed, speed, ballast, etc., try demoing new boards.

Kell
08-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Sandtosnow, you used to have an x-10, how did you weight that for surfing and wakeboarding? Just picked up some Fly High fat sacs and a tube sac for our 210VRS (same hull as x-10) and need some advice to initialy get me going. Thxs.

D3skier
08-31-2008, 01:50 AM
anyone heard any news on wakechick and if she's sold the boat?

sand2snow22
08-31-2008, 02:17 AM
Sandtosnow, you used to have an x-10, how did you weight that for surfing and wakeboarding? Just picked up some Fly High fat sacs and a tube sac for our 210VRS (same hull as x-10) and need some advice to initialy get me going. Thxs.

Never had a X-10, sorry. I would think for wakeboarding put a sack in each rear compartment and the tube sack in the ski locker. If you surf left foot forward, put both sacs in the rear port compartment and tube sac on the port seating. If you have lots of people in the boat, leave the tube sack in ski locker and make everyone sit on the port side of the boat. Good luck. We'll be at Priest next weekend. Where do you ride?

Kell
08-31-2008, 02:24 AM
Sorry about that, thought you had an x-10 at some point. Hey, we are planning to be at priest as well next weekend. We're on the west side, directly accross from Kalaspel Island. Thanks for the weighting tips as well.

sand2snow22
09-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Sorry about that, thought you had an x-10 at some point. Hey, we are planning to be at priest as well next weekend. We're on the west side, directly accross from Kalaspel Island. Thanks for the weighting tips as well.

Kell, We're on the other side of the lake. I'll keep my eye out for you. We're in a 2005 white, black with red stripe X2. Weather looks good thus far!