PDA

View Full Version : Got out of a major speeding ticket yesterday

mitch
04-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Hit a speed trap going 79 in a 55. :steering: Let me off w/ a verbal. Read a book last month, speeders guide to avoiding tickets, and played it to the letter. It was either that or great luck, but had to share :banana: :banana: Broke out the drysuit for the 1st run of the year yesterday as well, sooooo all in all, a great day.

6ballsisall
04-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Hit a speed trap going 79 in a 55. :steering: Let me off w/ a verbal. Read a book last month, speeders guide to avoiding tickets, and played it to the letter. It was either that or great luck, but had to share :banana: :banana: Broke out the drysuit for the 1st run of the year yesterday as well, sooooo all in all, a great day.

So what did you say/do?????? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

tex
04-18-2005, 11:39 AM
Can you hold my beer ossifer?

André
04-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Mitch
That book is paid for now !!!
Gotta link ?

Ric
04-18-2005, 11:47 AM
I need that book.
I recently got written a ticket that will total over $800
I finally shut up because I think the guy was making up stuff as we went along. The stop took almost 20 minutes :eek:

André
04-18-2005, 11:50 AM
Ric
What did you do or not for 800$ ???

Ric
04-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Ric
What did you do or not for 800$ ???
I cannot even remember all the stuff he put on there andre
speeding, not pulling over quickly enough, cracked windshield etc etc etc
You wanna know what I think, this guy was a traffic only guy and saw me on the phone and decided to rack em up on me. (probably no question I was speeding but the rest of it was lame)

tex
04-18-2005, 11:56 AM
I cannot even remember all the stuff he put on there andre
speeding, not pulling over quickly enough, cracked windshield etc etc etc
You wanna know what I think, this guy was a traffic only guy and saw me on the phone and decided to rack em up on me. (probably no question I was speeding but the rest of it was lame)

DPS or Houston's finest?

Ric
04-18-2005, 12:02 PM
DPS or Houston's finest?
my good friends at hpd

mitch
04-18-2005, 12:02 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0380807580/103-4694043-5634221?v=glance

Here's the book. I got it on ebay for 4 bucks shipped. It was one of those traps where they jump in the road and point you over. LH side in this case as it was at a very large Y at a major interstate (never saw them there before) So anyway, he was approaching my SUV from the front. Had both side windows down (so he could see everything) Book says make them as comfortable as possible. Had my flashers on and both hands resting on the wheel (again the comfort thing) He said hi, and I said it back (never ask them why you got pulled over) He said lic and reg, I got you for 79 in a 55. I told him I was getting the reg from the glovey, and lic is in my wallet (tell them before you reach anywhere, and don't fish for them as he/she is approaching..again comfort. This also gives you a minute or 2 to estab a convo (for lack of a better word) Anyway As I handed them over he thanked me and asked why I was going so fast. I apologized and told him I was not paying attention (books say be genuine...for the most part). He said I'll be back. He came back in 5 mins and handed me my stuff back, told me he was cutting me a break, as my record was clean. Be careful getting back into traffic and pls. slow down. I thanked him and moved on. I did not use the word sir once. Made a lot of eye contact and did not try to BS him. Pretty simple really. Never question them, esp when you;re rocking and rolling like I was. :rolleyes:

Ric
04-18-2005, 12:06 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0380807580/103-4694043-5634221?v=glance

Here's the book. I got it on ebay for 4 bucks shipped. It was one of those traps where they jump in the road and point you over. LH side in this case as it was at a very large Y at a major interstate (never saw them there before) So anyway, he was approaching my SUV from the front. Had both side windows down (so he could see everything) Book says make them as comfortable as possible. Had my flashers on and both hands resting on the wheel (again the comfort thing) He said hi, and I said it back (never ask them why you got pulled over) He said lic and reg, I got you for 79 in a 55. I told him I was getting the reg from the glovey, and lic is in my wallet (tell them before you reach anywhere, and don't fish for them as he/she is approaching..again comfort. This also gives you a minute or 2 to estab a convo (for lack of a better word) Anyway As I handed them over he thanked me and asked why I was going so fast. I apologized and told him I was not paying attention (books say be genuine...for the most part). He said I'll be back. He came back in 5 mins and handed me my stuff back, told me he was cutting me a break, as my record was clean. Be careful getting back into traffic and pls. slow down. I thanked him and moved on. I did not use the word sir once. Made a lot of eye contact and did not try to BS him. Pretty simple really. Never question them, esp when you;re rocking and rolling like I was. :rolleyes:

I see a few mistakes I made already!

sfitzgerald351
04-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Mitch, where was the speed trap? The 16 / 95 split?

I'm always bombing up through NH so I'd like to know where to slow down. I learned a few years back not to drive over 57 on Route 16 on a Friday night!

east tx skier
04-18-2005, 12:31 PM
I need that book.
I recently got written a ticket that will total over $800
I finally shut up because I think the guy was making up stuff as we went along. The stop took almost 20 minutes :eek:

Ric, call David Sprecher (his office used to be in the Montrose). He will get that ticket dismissed or go down in flames trying. No defensive driving. No deferred adjudication. Just fights it in all ways possible.

The beauty of this method, in my situation, is that he handles lawyers cases for free. My last ticket, I literally sat there and laughed as he wrote me up. When my day in court came, the cop didn't even show up (case dismissed). The previous time, I had a Camarro cop and the thing almost went to trial. But that would have meant lots of subpoenas of the cop's family, the manufacturer of the radar gun, his family, and everyone else you could imagine. This takes up valuable court time and was ultimately dismissed without a trial. You will pay, but I don't think he'll charge you $800. Be sure to ask first though. All in all, I'd rather give him my money than the City.

east tx skier
04-18-2005, 12:32 PM
my good friends at hpd

Was it a Camarro Cop? They're the worst in Houston.

mitch
04-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Doug, Fighting it sounds like good advice, esp an $800 hit.

Scott, Yes, heading S, they were at the split in the middle almost in front of Portsmouth Ford. I'm usually pretty careful on 16, but I was excited to hit the lake for the 1st set of the season. sloppy!

Ric
04-18-2005, 01:07 PM
good idea and yes, it was the imfamous camaro cop posse that got me
I know a ton of guys at hpd but they all say when it comes to the camaro cops, they can't help you like "the ole days".

Ric, call David Sprecher (his office used to be in the Montrose). He will get that ticket dismissed or go down in flames trying. No defensive driving. No deferred adjudication. Just fights it in all ways possible.

The beauty of this method, in my situation, is that he handles lawyers cases for free. My last ticket, I literally sat there and laughed as he wrote me up. When my day in court came, the cop didn't even show up (case dismissed). The previous time, I had a Camarro cop and the thing almost went to trial. But that would have meant lots of subpoenas of the cop's family, the manufacturer of the radar gun, his family, and everyone else you could imagine. This takes up valuable court time and was ultimately dismissed without a trial. You will pay, but I don't think he'll charge you $800. Be sure to ask first though. All in all, I'd rather give him my money than the City.

bcampbe7
04-18-2005, 01:15 PM
I have been pulled over 3 times, all of which resulted in a speeding ticket. Two of which I did community service, one cost me about $70. With all of them, I had a working radar detector in the car. I found out that radar detectors pretty much just tell you you are about to be pulled over.
One of the tickets occurred on the first beautiful day of Spring a few years ago. The type of day where you have the windows down, the radio up and a nice open road in front of you. I was getting onto the Interstate in Knoxville, TN after class and hit 95MPH before the end of the ramp. Never saw the motorcycle cop. He was nice enough to drop my speed down to 70 in a 55 and I kept my license. One of the many bonehead moves in my life, that I am not too proud of, and could have ended-up much worse. I pretty much thanked the cop for pulling me over and bringing me back to reality.
I get my thrills in the MasterCraft now! :steering:

AirJunky
04-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Hmmmm, maybe a book I should look at..... I just picked up an old Honda 185 enduro. Spent a little time this weekend getting all the lights working, getting tags & title transferred, etc. Called the insurance agent last week. Only thing I have to worry about is the bike has non-DOT approved tires on it for now.
I'm fully expecting the LL50 to pull me over shortly. Little yuppy-cops will see red when they see dirtbike on the roads.

On a good note, I went out trail blazing around the far side of the lake on Sunday. Really worked my back & legs! Sat in the hot tub for a while afterwards.

Cloaked
04-18-2005, 10:30 PM
I have been pulled over 3 times, all of which resulted in a speeding ticket. Two of which I did community service, one cost me about $70. With all of them, I had a working radar detector in the car. I found out that radar detectors pretty much just tell you you are about to be pulled over.
One of the tickets occurred on the first beautiful day of Spring a few years ago. The type of day where you have the windows down, the radio up and a nice open road in front of you. I was getting onto the Interstate in Knoxville, TN after class and hit 95MPH before the end of the ramp. Never saw the motorcycle cop. He was nice enough to drop my speed down to 70 in a 55 and I kept my license. One of the many bonehead moves in my life, that I am not too proud of, and could have ended-up much worse. I pretty much thanked the cop for pulling me over and bringing me back to reality.
I get my thrills in the MasterCraft now! :steering:You must have been on the west end of K-Town headed west. Nothing in Knoxville moves over 25 MPH between Cedar Bluff and 17th St exit... LOL... I live down in Roane County so as to avoid that mess and the city cops... :cool:

Community service sounds like a Putnam County judgement. :eek:

sizzler
04-19-2005, 02:43 AM
GOT PULLED OVER LAST MONTH FOR SPEEDING AND TALKING ON THE CELL PHONE...WAS IN A MAD RUSH TO GET TO THE LAKE ,WHERE I HAD LEFT MY PASSPORT ,AS I WAS DUE TO TAKE THE WIFE AWAY TO FRANCE FOR OUR ANNIVERSARY....ANYWAY MISSED FLIGHT ,WIFE WAS IN TEARS ON THE PHONE AS THE COP WAS READING ME THE RIOT ACT........I WAS DOING MY BEST NOT TO GET UPSET,,,,WHEN THE COP ,WHO I VAGUELY RECOGNISED,SAID THAT HE USED TO WORK FOR ME AS A TRAINEE.....LUCKILY I WAS NOT A TOTAL SH$T TO HIM WHEN HE WAS "UNDER" ME......HE LET ME OFF AND GAVE ME ONE OF THOSE LOOKS YOU GET FROM YOUR DAD WHEN YA WRONG......

MY MATES ,SAID IT COULD ONLY HAPPEN TO ME... :steering:

erkoehler
04-19-2005, 03:22 AM
what are so special about the camaro cops? :rolleyes:

bcampbe7
04-19-2005, 09:04 AM
You must have been on the west end of K-Town headed west. Nothing in Knoxville moves over 25 MPH between Cedar Bluff and 17th St exit... LOL... I live down in Roane County so as to avoid that mess and the city cops... :cool:

Community service sounds like a Putnam County judgement. :eek:

I hear ya on the traffic. I think they have been doing some sort of construction on I-40 thru Knoxville for the past 10 years or more.
Actually I was getting onto I-40 at Cedar Bluff heading East. Must have been a freak day with little to no traffic. I had a Mustang 5.0 that would run like a scalded dog.