PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Questions?

FHMan1905
06-28-2008, 12:42 PM
First off TMCNo1 has been a major help, thanks again Harold. I am considering buying an 84 S&S, but i hate that flip up bar that is on the trailer. I hated dealing with it on my 82 S&S and i am considering the retrofit of a boat buddy or can you tow one without the bar or boat buddy just hooked to the winch like a bass boat or run about.

If anyone is near southern kentucky and has done a retro fit or knows of a good welder that could easily do it please let me know. I have a welder here but he is used to tractors and farm equiptment don't know about boat trailers.

Thanks
Lance

ShamrockIV
06-28-2008, 12:49 PM
couldn't u jyst leave the flip up bar down??

i would hate to do to much to the trailer in fear of hurting value!!

TMCNo1
06-28-2008, 12:58 PM
couldn't u jyst leave the flip up bar down??

i would hate to do to much to the trailer in fear of hurting value!!

Your saying that upgrading to this, for easier, simplier unloading and loading over the dangerous, troublesome bar will decrease the value of a boat and trailer? That's BS and you know it! If it wasn't a viable/sensible/safer/more practical option, MasterCraft would never have adopted it as standard equipment in 1990.

ShamrockIV
06-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Your saying that upgrading to this, for easier, simplier unloading and loading over the dangerous, troublesome bar will decrease the value of a boat and trailer? That's BS and you know it! If it wasn't a viable/sensible/safer/more practical option, MasterCraft would never have adopted it as standard equipment in 1990.

u dah man!!! sorry i opened my mouth!!!

u ordered a tower for ur boat yet #1. mc puts those on now too!!

FHMan1905
06-28-2008, 01:50 PM
TMC is the winch actually hooked in the bow eye or is it just hooked to th boat buddy. I am going to look at my buddies 84 tomorrow and may bring it home. I have seen some boats on here that are just hooked straight to the winch of the trailer about like a bass boat, is that safe?

ShamrockIV
06-28-2008, 01:51 PM
TMC is the winch actually hooked in the bow eye or is it just hooked to th boat buddy. I am going to look at my buddies 84 tomorrow and may bring it home. I have seen some boats on here that are just hooked straight to the winch of the trailer about like a bass boat, is that safe?

i would think it would be safe. how far u towing???? steep ramp???

FHMan1905
06-28-2008, 01:53 PM
less than 15 miles but sometimes we go to dale hollow which is a pretty good haul...the ramp isn't very steep and i have always unhooked the bar and strap before we back down anyway so i can float off and get out of the way

Chicago190
06-28-2008, 02:04 PM
less than 15 miles but sometimes we go to dale hollow which is a pretty good haul...the ramp isn't very steep and i have always unhooked the bar and strap before we back down anyway so i can float off and get out of the way

I trailer with the winch hooked up to the bow eye, plus a ratchet strap from the winch mount to the bow eye in case the winch fails. I disengage the boat buddy because I read that some people bent the pins on their boat buddy when trailering with them engaged. I just use the boat buddy for taking the boat out of the water, and then attach the winch and ratchet strap in the parking lot.

FHMan1905
06-28-2008, 02:07 PM
so the bow eye sticks through the BB and you have room to still hook the winch?...I have never seen a BB in person just trying to get a feel for how they work.

ShamrockIV
06-28-2008, 02:08 PM
i do the same 190. i always hook up strap on my 209. i did add ratchet tie downs to my trailer before i towed my boat the 350 miles to csm!!! i will not use them much around here but good for long trips!!! i am about to remove boat buddy i think. it make horrible marks on my white hull!!

ShamrockIV
06-28-2008, 02:09 PM
so the bow eye sticks through the BB and you have room to still hook the winch?...I have never seen a BB in person just trying to get a feel for how they work.

yeah it catches the bow eye real high!!

TMCNo1
06-28-2008, 02:32 PM

The winch strap is hooked to the boweye along with the safety cable, and yes, I do leave the Boat Buddy engaged while towing , cause that's the way we set it up, for the pin to float in the boweye, rather than rub on it and keep it in a bind. The winch strap is intended as a back up safety feature for the BB should it fail and also a way to load the boat if it can't be driven on if for some reason the engine can't or isn't running. The safety cable is a backup for the other 2 should they fail. Yea, I know, I'm chicken ship, but never too safe!!

BriEOD
06-28-2008, 02:38 PM
I added a BB to my 87 190 trailer. It was the best thing I ever did to that trailer! Whoever invented that stupid bar ought to be beat with it!!:mad:

BriEOD
06-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Found a before and after...

Chicago190
06-28-2008, 02:40 PM
i do the same 190. i always hook up strap on my 209. i did add ratchet tie downs to my trailer before i towed my boat the 350 miles to csm!!! i will not use them much around here but good for long trips!!! i am about to remove boat buddy i think. it make horrible marks on my white hull!!

You should do what other people have done and carpet your boat buddy so it won't make marks anymore.

TMCNo1
06-28-2008, 02:42 PM

Do Not unhook the strap till the boat is in the water, even though you have dropped the bar! You don't want the boat sliding off the trailer onto the ramp!

TMCNo1
06-28-2008, 02:45 PM

"so the bow eye sticks through the BB and you have room to still hook the winch?...I have never seen a BB in person just trying to get a feel for how they work."

The winch strap goes thru the BB yoke under the BB and there is plenty room to attach it and a seconndary cable or chain if you desire,

FHMan1905
06-28-2008, 02:55 PM
TMCNo1...you are a life saver man. The pics really help....i am a visual learner...haha I will take some pics of that 84 tomorrow if i go look at it...he told me 8500 but he is asking 12,000 for it. So who knows....we will see. Will those dimensions for the 190 work for an 84 too i know it said 87 throug 89. Or can you just mock up there on the trailer....hold the BB where the bow eye will float in it and start building up to that with the brace and yoke?

TMCNo1
06-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Here is another view, I'm not gonna waste your time with useless jibber jabber!

TMCNo1
06-28-2008, 03:06 PM
The dimensions for a '84 should be very close to this thread PDF link, so the bow eye sticks through the BB and you have room to still hook the winch?...I have never seen a BB in person just trying to get a feel for how they work. That why I said previously said minor adjustments will/may be required when setting it up and welding and doing it with the boat on the trailer will give you exactly what you need. Just protect the boat from flying sparks.

flipper
06-28-2008, 03:10 PM
I did my own on my fist trailer, and learned a couple lessons the hard way. Fixed them, and everything was fine.

#1 was put the winch too close. It looked nice, but then the boat was loading onto the trailer, you couldn't spin the handle all the way around. Remember that the back of the boat will be higher when it in the water loading onto the trailer.

#2 I had the BB a little too high. The boat seemed to rest on it just right, until I put it in the water the first time. The rub rail would hit the BB. Lowered it about an inch, and all was well.

I've herd others make the same mistakes to, so must be some what common...just a couple things to keep in mind. Both of mine were not thinking about the fact that the back of the boat will be higher when your loading/unloading.

FHMan1905
06-28-2008, 03:12 PM
ok i see now. yeah i would have to say the are the real deal since the are standard on MC's now. I can probably find someone around here that can help me fab one up. Especially with the boat on the trailer and the pics you have sent we can figure something out even if we have to start by putting the BB on the bow eye and building it from teh top to the bottom to mock it up.

TMCNo1
06-28-2008, 03:20 PM
You should do what other people have done and carpet your boat buddy so it won't make marks anymore.

Remember, that's too simple of a fix! We learned long ago, you don't have to load a boat like a bull in a china shop (what you don't break, ya crap on)!

FHMan1905
06-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Yeah my grandpa taught me to load a boat when i was real young. Actually about 4....we have pics somewhere of me loading his bass boat for him and i couldn't hardly see over the console. I could load a boat by myself before i could ride a bike. That may be why i lose my cool at the boat ramp. HaHa...I am definitely going with the boat buddy if i buy that 84 because i was going to redo the trailer anyway. The boat is mint but i was going to paint the trailer white with blue metal flake fenders and new LED lights all the way around.

TMCNo1
06-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Yeah my grandpa taught me to load a boat when i was real young. Actually about 4....we have pics somewhere of me loading his bass boat for him and i couldn't hardly see over the console. I could load a boat by myself before i could ride a bike. That may be why i lose my cool at the boat ramp. HaHa...I am definitely going with the boat buddy if i buy that 84 because i was going to redo the trailer anyway. The boat is mint but i was going to paint the trailer white with blue metal flake fenders and new LED lights all the way around.

Keep us updated and if I can help, just hollar!

FHMan1905
06-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Don't worry i will keep everyone updated and thanks for your help so far.

Chicago190
06-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Remember, that's too simple of a fix! We learned long ago, you don't have to load a boat like a bull in a china shop (what you don't break, ya crap on)!

At certain ramps that are steep I find that the area above the bow eye comes in contact with the boat buddy before the bow eye, so I have to power it up and the boat buddy drags on that 1-2" of the hull.

FHMan1905
06-28-2008, 05:10 PM
not to sound like mr. obvious but try not backing down as far in the water so the runners will lift the front...might have to motor a little more to get up the rest of the way but once you get the front up you can power up slightly and SLOWLY ease into the BB

TMCNo1
06-28-2008, 05:19 PM
I usually don't back in and gauge by the fender depth, but by where the water stops on the bunks and bow never contacts the Boat Buddy, except when it hits the and engages. And, by having the carpet with spray wax on it, it just slides freely on the carpet in the dry portion of the carpet.

FHMan1905
06-28-2008, 05:42 PM
that is how i gauge it... i usually left about 2 or 3 feet of the bunks exposed that way if there was choppy water or bad wind the bunks would catch and straighten the boat out if need be.

TMCNo1
06-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Here ya go Sodar, maybe this splains it!

Sodar
06-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Its all in the details... thanks Harold!

TMCNo1
06-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Moving it, blew my mind!

TMCNo1
06-30-2008, 11:04 PM
FHMan1905, might suggest if you go to the Boat Buddy, get your local MC dealer or any MC dealer to get you a long BB and winch stand from MC to do the conversion. The yoke at the top needs to be of the proper depth for BB to fit, the long boweye to clear and to get the winch strap thru and connected and it will have the winch plate and bracket already welded on for a near perfect placement. When I did my conversion in 1997, I used the same one for the 1997 trailers and we had to cut it off a little to work on my trailer per/near the MC dimensions on the pdf sheet I posted earlier. It should also come with the bottom brace plate, but it wasn't welded on for obvious reasons.

BriEOD
07-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Harold has a great idea and it probably looks much better as well.

However, as an alternative you have much less expensive options. As you can see a few pages back you can have a welder spot weld a a square tube with forks to install the BB on. I had this setup for 4 years prior to selling it and never had a problem. The work/parts cost me under $100.

TMCNo1
07-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Harold has a great idea and it probably looks much better as well.

However, as an alternative you have much less expensive options. As you can see a few pages back you can have a welder spot weld a a square tube with forks to install the BB on. I had this setup for 4 years prior to selling it and never had a problem. The work/parts cost me under $100.

My main concern, is that the yoke for the BB be of sufficient depth, at least 6" deep. Monte had one installed on his trailer this spring, and the yoke was so shallow, that when he would install the long boweye, it would hit the botton of the yoke before tripping the BB and there was no room for the winch strap or anything else, basically rendering the BB useless.

BriEOD
07-01-2008, 09:53 AM
You're right Harold. I guess it depends on whether someone knows what they are doign. IIRC, the worst part was climbing up into the bow of a 190 to tap the old bow eye out. First, I needed to be the size of a hobbit. Second it was sweltering and the drop light didn't help!

TMCNo1
07-01-2008, 11:16 AM
You're right Harold. I guess it depends on whether someone knows what they are doign. IIRC, the worst part was climbing up into the bow of a 190 to tap the old bow eye out. First, I needed to be the size of a hobbit. Second it was sweltering and the drop light didn't help!

I managed somehow, being a heavy duty being, in getting in there, unbolting it, knocking it out a bit, then getting out and removing, inserting the new one, sealing it, then climbing back in to tighten it all up. I got better every trip into and out of the bow. Wasn't looking forwward to calling 911 to cut me out of the bow of the '89!

ksdaoski
10-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Here is another view, I'm not gonna waste your time with useless jibber jabber!

the link doesnt seem to work. still have it?

TX.X-30 fan
10-04-2009, 06:29 PM

So your saying closed bows are a dying useless design. :confused:

cbryan70
10-04-2009, 06:34 PM
So your saying closed bows are a dying useless design. :confused:

no he is saying its great and should be called a cuddy due to its nice size and lighting8p

TX.X-30 fan
10-04-2009, 06:45 PM
no he is saying its great and should be called a cuddy due to its nice size and lighting8p

So it was actually the inspiration for the 300?

cbryan70
10-04-2009, 06:46 PM
So it was actually the inspiration for the 300?

you dont see the resemblance? :confused::rolleyes: