PDA

View Full Version : 2003 prostar 197 steering cable

f16driver
06-28-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm looking for the correct lenght for teleflex steering cable. I've done a search on this forum but did not find anyone matching 03 prostar 197.
I looked on the cable itself but did not see any numbers. The guys at skidim were very helpful but even though I told them year and model, they wanted me to check for a number on my teleflex cable.
I know my cable needs replacing, I disconnected the cable at the rudder and rudder moves freely, but steering still stiff. I also greased all fittings with no improvements noted.

Sodar
06-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Attach a rope to one end of the steering cable and pull it out to measure... or call your dealer. Then when you get the new cable, pull it through with the rope.

f16driver
06-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Sodar,
I appreciate the reply/suggestion, but my boat is still drivable and I want to pull the old cable and install the new one at the same time.

Thanks

Jorski
06-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Why don't you shoot an email, to one of MC dealers on this board? I am sure that any one of them could hook you up!

ShamrockIV
06-28-2008, 12:09 PM
man i changed mine out on my 209 in 1 hour!! that was the first one i had ever done so next time would be easier!! make sure and do it urself. call skidim they might be able to help!!!

f16driver
06-29-2008, 07:41 AM
ShamrockIV,
I spoke with a MC dealer yesterday, and they quoted 200 dollars for the 19ft teleflex cable, part # 100861. I'll order it on Monday morning.
Whats the secret to the 1 hour install?
I know the rudder end is easy to disconnect.

When disconnecting at the steering rack under the dash, are there just the 4 bolts holding the rack in place?
Tie a rope to the rudder end and pull the cable forward and out under the dash.
Reverse the procedure to install new cable.
Did u do it alone or have a helper?

ncsone
06-29-2008, 08:24 AM
I did a cable replacement on my 05 197 a couple of months ago. Start to finish, it took me two hours, but I think I did mine different than listed above.

You are right, there are just 4 bolts holding the cable on under the steering wheel. Once those are removed, it came out real easy.

To install, I removed the kick panel in the drivers footwell. I pushed the cable from from the drivers area to the back by sticking my hand under the drivers side bow cushion area in front of the windshield. I would just keep feeding cable back until it hit something, wiggle it free and push some more. Once the leading edge exits the hole in the stringer under the engine compartment, you can just grab it and pull it the rest of the way back.

Then it is just a matter of bending the front edge of the cable around to bolt onto the steering wheel shaft.

Hope this helps.