PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Hand Free Car Kits

Sodar
06-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Anyone have any recommendations on bluetooth hands free car kits?

On Jul, 1, 2008 Cali-sucks-fornia is enacting a state law that requires all drivers to use a hands free device while driving. I have been through 2 car kits and both have been returned because the did not work. I purchased a motorola and the sound quality on my end was good and loud, but everyone complained I was in a wind tunnel. Then I switch to a Jabra it was too quiet on my end, but it sounded crystal clear to the person I was talking to.

I was wondering if there was something out there like my iPod connector by Peripheral that allows my iPhone to hook into the stereo, then the call comes through the speakers and there is an external microphone mounted in the headliner. Anyone seen anything like this? I am trying to keep costs below $200 as that is my company allowance for the purchase.

phecksel
06-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Anyone have any recommendations on bluetooth hands free car kits?

On Jul, 1, 2008 Cali-sucks-fornia is enacting a state law that requires all drivers to use a hands free device while driving. I have been through 2 car kits and both have been returned because the did not work. I purchased a motorola and the sound quality on my end was good and loud, but everyone complained I was in a wind tunnel. Then I switch to a Jabra it was too quiet on my end, but it sounded crystal clear to the person I was talking to.

I was wondering if there was something out there like my iPod connector by Peripheral that allows my iPhone to hook into the stereo, then the call comes through the speakers and there is an external microphone mounted in the headliner. Anyone seen anything like this? I am trying to keep costs below $200 as that is my company allowance for the purchase.

go buy a new chrysler or ford? Both of their factory systems ROCK.

Can you use just a headset? I have voyager 510 and hate having to pick up a phone anymore.

Sodar
06-27-2008, 05:01 PM

Can you use just a headset? I have voyager 510 and hate having to pick up a phone anymore.

Would never buy a Chysler or a Ford! 8p

I am trying to stay away from the headset. I can barely remember my phone, cell phone and sunglasses.. trying to avoid another item to drag around on my persona! :D

trickskier
06-27-2008, 05:08 PM
I have the Motorola as well, and people tell me they can hear the highway noise while I'm traveling........I can hear them just fine!

ProTour X9
06-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Would never buy a Chysler or a Ford! 8p

Lincoln??:D

ttu
06-27-2008, 05:14 PM

cam, i would not either:D

i do have a new 08 toyota sequoia that has the factory system. everyone says it sounds like i am using the actual phone and i can hear them great.

and no way would i wear one of those headsets.:rolleyes:

flipper
06-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Jaw Bone Black is the best ear piece one. Between me and friends, that seems to have the best noise reduction for the person on the other end, and you can hear well too. I can talk with my window down no problem.

bigmac
06-27-2008, 05:18 PM
I've looked, there's nothing I can find that's any good. IIRC 2009 GM vehicles will have a bluetooth option through the factory radio that works like the vehicle's built-in cellphone, but nothing yet.

I use my truck's built-in cell phone or a Motorola H700 bluetooth earpiece. I just leave it in the car. It charges from the same mini-USB charger as my phone.

Sodar
06-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Great, so the concensus is I need a new car! I was trying to keep it under $200... but right now I am at about $50,000.... :D

New Silverado or Tahoe would be awfully nice.

bigmac
06-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Great, so the concensus is I need a new car! I was trying to keep it under $200... but right now I am at about $50,000.... :D

New Silverado or Tahoe would be awfully nice.You'll have to wait til next year. And prices are going up 3.5%

trickskier

New Silverado or Tahoe would be awfully nice.

Don't ask me about adoption either.......................8p

Sodar
I've looked, there's nothing I can find that's any good. IIRC 2009 GM vehicles will have a bluetooth option through the factory radio that works like the vehicle's built-in cellphone, but nothing yet.

I use my truck's built-in cell phone or a Motorola H700 bluetooth earpiece. I just leave it in the car. It charges from the same mini-USB charger as my phone.

I was waiting for you to jump in! I figured you would have the low-down.

That new ipod kit you got for your truck is awesome...

Sodar
06-27-2008, 05:23 PM
You'll have to wait til next year. And prices are going up 3.5%

Perfect! On the path I am on, I am thinking 2015 I will be due for a new vehicle. Maybe the Gen 2 Tahoe Hybrids will be out by then. :)

ttu
06-27-2008, 05:23 PM

cam, not a problem. we don't mind helping you spend your money.8p

H20BOY
06-27-2008, 05:28 PM
There is a handsfree system called Parrot. It works extremely well.

wakolman
06-27-2008, 08:27 PM
The lexus factory system rocks.

dapicatti
06-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Just bought the MOTO pure will let you know how it works after this weekend. Washington has the same law, I waited until almost the last minute to buy mine.
It's supposed to be really quiet, just doesn't work with the I phone. ($109)

Slinkyredfoot
06-27-2008, 09:43 PM
No offense to anyone on this site, but personally I think these ear pieces look so stupid...

I understand laws and abide by obeying them, but I think any earpiece looks totally stupid so this is my opinion..

There is nothing worse than chugging a beer at my local establishment and seeing someone walking in and looking like he is talking to himself because no one else is interested....just my opinion but I hate these things and will sell my MC before I will ever utilize one:twocents:

dapicatti
06-27-2008, 09:48 PM
I agree, but you can't talk in your car anymore on a cell phone in my state. $264 fine. I am only going to use it in the car, otherwise you seem like a homeless dude talking to yourself. I think its more distracting to use the earpiece, but our local legislators thought it to be a fine idea.

bigmac
06-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Just bought the MOTO pure will let you know how it works after this weekend. Washington has the same law, I waited until almost the last minute to buy mine.
It's supposed to be really quiet, just doesn't work with the I phone. ($109)

http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/motorola-h12/4505-13831_7-32741652.html

bigmac
06-27-2008, 09:56 PM
No offense to anyone on this site, but personally I think these ear pieces look so stupid...

I agree...they look really stupid, but they are very, very practical, and no one sees it in the car. And, if you get a good one that supports voice dialing, I do think they're safer.

TMCNo1
06-27-2008, 10:09 PM

I understand laws and abide by obeying them, but I think any earpiece looks totally stupid so this is my opinion..

There is nothing worse than chugging a beer at my local establishment and seeing someone walking in and looking like he is talking to himself because no one else is interested....just my opinion but I hate these things and will sell my MC before I will ever utilize one:twocents:

Funny you mention that, today at the grocery store, I was meeting a lady in one of the isles, she has on one of those Bluetooth ear pieces. She looked at me and said, "What do you want me to get for dinner"! I said, "Hell, I don't care, your buying'! She looked at me like I was some fool, then told me she was one the phone to someone else, I said, "Well excuuuuuuuse me"!:rolleyes::D

Footin
06-27-2008, 10:25 PM

I couldn't agree more, I can't stand those things. I can tell when someone is useing one and I keep saying "what....huh....what...huh."