PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Coil???

6ballsisall
04-17-2005, 09:28 PM
I put a Mallory Ignition Coil on my boat recently and sometimes, it gets extremely hot, expecially if the key gets left in the on position. Is this normal??? Help!

tph
04-18-2005, 03:32 AM
I put a Mallory Ignition Coil on my boat recently and sometimes, it gets extremely hot, expecially if the key gets left in the on position. Is this normal??? Help!
gnition

My Accel Coil got too hot to touch after I installed a Pertronix electronic ignition. I called Accel and they told me that the coil I was using was not recommended for use with electronic ignition. I replaced it with a Pertronix flamethrower and that seems to work better, though it still got warmer than when using the stock ignition set-up. The impedence of the flamethrower was different and I eliminated the ballast resistor. Also, the instructions warned that damage could occure to the ignition system if the key was left in the "on" position.

jsonova99
04-18-2005, 08:02 AM
that sounds like it could be dangerous :eek3:

wesgardner
04-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Seems I recall the Pertronix FlameThrower II addressed the "key left on" issue?

Duh, actually its the electronic module NOT the coil sensing the "key on" deal, so if you go with the Igniter II, you're OK? - that's what the propaganda suggests...

Wes